Old 07-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Andreas Schroth

Default lenny with kernel 2.6.25 freezes on a HP laptop

Hello,

I run Lenny on a HP/Compaq nc6320 laptop.

Recently the kernel was updated to 2.6.25. However, when booting with this
kernel there is eventually a complete freeze. Sometimes the system freezes
during booting, sometimes well after login and independent of any input by
me.

I suspect this problem is related to the fact that the new kernel does not
supports acpi. I removed klaptop, but the problem persists.
Are there any other packages not compatible with the new kernel?
Is there a way to find out what causes the freeze?

When I boot with the 2.6.24 kernel everything runs smoothly.

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Andreas Schroth

Hello,

unfortuntely adding noapic as a kernel parameter does nor solve the problem.
Neither does turning acpi off.

Andreas

Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Florian Reitmeir

I run Lenny on a HP/Compaq nc6320 laptop.

Recently the kernel was updated to 2.6.25. However, when booting with this
kernel there is eventually a complete freeze. Sometimes the system freezes
during booting, sometimes well after login and independent of any input by
me.

I suspect this problem is related to the fact that the new kernel does not
supports acpi. I removed klaptop, but the problem persists.
Are there any other packages not compatible with the new kernel?

Is there a way to find out what causes the freeze?

When I boot with the 2.6.24 kernel everything runs smoothly.

Any help will be appreciated.

Please use the tool 'reportbug' and report a bug against the kernel.

--
Florian Reitmeir

Old 07-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Andreas Schroth

Am Samstag 26 Juli 2008 schrieb Florian Reitmeir:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Andreas Schroth wrote:
> >I run Lenny on a HP/Compaq nc6320 laptop.
> >
> >Recently the kernel was updated to 2.6.25. However, when booting with this
> >kernel there is eventually a complete freeze. Sometimes the system freezes
> >during booting, sometimes well after login and independent of any input by
> >me.
> >
> >I suspect this problem is related to the fact that the new kernel does not
> >supports acpi. I removed klaptop, but the problem persists.
> >Are there any other packages not compatible with the new kernel?
> >Is there a way to find out what causes the freeze?
> >
> >When I boot with the 2.6.24 kernel everything runs smoothly.
> >
> >Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Please use the tool 'reportbug' and report a bug against the kernel.
>
> --
> Florian Reitmeir
Hallo,

thanks for pointing to the bugreports. It is filed as bug#491522.

Andreas Schroth