Old 07-24-2008, 07:06 AM
srinivas v

Default kernel 2.6.26 hangs at "Setting up standard PCI resources" on a HP laptop

Hi list

I have a Tx1301au HP laptop
spec: Turion x2, c51 mobo, running debian 4.0

I have compiled kernel 2.6.26(x86) the laptop hangs after displaying
"Setting up standard PCI resources". I have tried all the possible options
listed with the vanilla kernel documentation(acpi= and pci=), but of no use.

Previously, I had compiled 2.6.23.8 without any problems.

I request the list to help me out.

V. Srinivas

Support The free software movement started by
Richard. M. Stallman by using free software,
Developing on it and spreading awareness
about it.

Make way for a free as in "freedom" world in all the
fields possible making it information and knowledge
reachable, simple and understandable for all different classes of people.

Live and let live. And grow together.

Vandematharam.
V.srinivas for free software. Always.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM
"Thomas Preud'homme"

The Thursday 24 July 2008 09:06:19 srinivas v, you wrote*:
> Hi list
>
> I have a Tx1301au HP laptop
> spec: Turion x2, c51 mobo, running debian 4.0
>
> I have compiled kernel 2.6.26(x86) the laptop hangs after displaying
> "Setting up standard PCI resources". I have tried all the possible options
> listed with the vanilla kernel documentation(acpi= and pci=), but of no
> use.
>
> Previously, I had compiled 2.6.23.8 without any problems.
>

> I request the list to help me out.
>

> V. Srinivas
>
> Support The free software movement started by
> Richard. M. Stallman by using free software,
> Developing on it and spreading awareness
> about it.
>
> Make way for a free as in "freedom" world in all the
> fields possible making it information and knowledge
> reachable, simple and understandable for all different classes of people.
>
> Live and let live. And grow together.
>
> Vandematharam.
> V.srinivas for free software. Always.

Did you compile it with the same .config file ?

--
Thomas Preud'homme

Why debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
srinivas v

Yes. I started off with the the config of 2.6.23.8. But later changed to some newly available features in 2.6.26.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
"Thomas Preud'homme"

The Thursday 24 July 2008 14:04:39 srinivas v, you wrote*:
> Yes. I started off with the the config of 2.6.23.8. But later changed to
> some newly available features in 2.6.26.

Maybe you should try looking at modules loaded via lsmod in both working and
non working kernel. You can also look in module in initrd. I don't know if
there is a tool for that so if not try compiling your kernel with all
important stuff compiled statically, not in module (so your image should not
need modules). Maybe it's just a module not loaded when it should.

> V. Srinivas

[SNIP]