Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/)
-   -   lenny: get battery icon in icewm? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/130481-lenny-get-battery-icon-icewm.html)

Mikhail Ramendik 07-23-2008 10:22 PM

lenny: get battery icon in icewm?
 
Hello,

I have just installed lenny on a notebook. I would like to use icewm as my
main environment.

I want to see a battery status icon. However, icewm's built in APM/ACPI status
does not work.

The only app that I found which can show the icon is kde's
guidance-power-manager. However, starting it manually takes a LOT of time,
and starting it from ~/.icewm/startup surprisingly does not work at all.

Ideally I would want guidance-power-manager's features (CPU frequency
policies, suspend, hibernate), just with a normal startup. But a mere battery
icon will also do.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Pedro Martínez Juliá 07-24-2008 09:26 AM

lenny: get battery icon in icewm?
 
El mié, 23-07-2008 a las 23:22 +0100, Mikhail Ramendik escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I have just installed lenny on a notebook. I would like to use icewm as my
> main environment.
>
> I want to see a battery status icon. However, icewm's built in APM/ACPI status
> does not work.
>
> The only app that I found which can show the icon is kde's
> guidance-power-manager. However, starting it manually takes a LOT of time,
> and starting it from ~/.icewm/startup surprisingly does not work at all.
>
> Ideally I would want guidance-power-manager's features (CPU frequency
> policies, suspend, hibernate), just with a normal startup. But a mere battery
> icon will also do.
>

Did you tried gnome-power-manager? I think that if IceWM has a "tray" it
could work for you.

Regards,

Pedro

--
Pedro Martínez Juliá
pedromj@gmail.com
)| WebLog: http://www.pedromj.com/blog
/ Página web: http://www.pedromj.com
GoogleTalk: pedromj@gmail.com
Socio HispaLinux #311
Usuario Linux #275438 - http://counter.li.org
GPG Fingerprint: 488C 393E B2BD 998E 8998 3DF0 5293 B7A2 8EB7 9852


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Mikhail Ramendik 07-24-2008 09:54 AM

lenny: get battery icon in icewm?
 
On Thursday 24 July 2008 10:26, Pedro Martínez Juliá wrote:

> > Ideally I would want guidance-power-manager's features (CPU frequency
> > policies, suspend, hibernate), just with a normal startup. But a mere
> > battery icon will also do.
>
> Did you tried gnome-power-manager? I think that if IceWM has a "tray" it
> could work for you.

I did try starting gnome-power-manager in icewm. However, it did not show a
tray icon (and also sometimes prevented icewm from shutting down properly).

I'll probably give xfce a try as well. It seems to have a strong community and
a set of "native" extensions, while also being fast, but I'm not sure I'll
like the feel.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Pedro Martínez Juliá 07-24-2008 09:59 AM

lenny: get battery icon in icewm?
 
El jue, 24-07-2008 a las 10:54 +0100, Mikhail Ramendik escribió:
> On Thursday 24 July 2008 10:26, Pedro Martínez Juliá wrote:
>
> > > Ideally I would want guidance-power-manager's features (CPU frequency
> > > policies, suspend, hibernate), just with a normal startup. But a mere
> > > battery icon will also do.
> >
> > Did you tried gnome-power-manager? I think that if IceWM has a "tray" it
> > could work for you.
>
> I did try starting gnome-power-manager in icewm. However, it did not show a
> tray icon (and also sometimes prevented icewm from shutting down properly).
>
> I'll probably give xfce a try as well. It seems to have a strong community and
> a set of "native" extensions, while also being fast, but I'm not sure I'll
> like the feel.
>

If you like simplicity, Fluxbox is your "desktop". Actually, it is only
a window manager but has many compatible applets for its dock (called
slit) and one of them is the "tray" compatible with any application
using freedesktop standards for tray.

I really love FluxBox, I've used it many years in the past but I changed
to GNOME because it is a full integrated desktop... maybe sometime in
the future I'll return to FluxBox.

Regards,

Pedro

--
Pedro Martínez Juliá
pedromj@gmail.com
)| WebLog: http://www.pedromj.com/blog
/ Página web: http://www.pedromj.com
GoogleTalk: pedromj@gmail.com
Socio HispaLinux #311
Usuario Linux #275438 - http://counter.li.org
GPG Fingerprint: 488C 393E B2BD 998E 8998 3DF0 5293 B7A2 8EB7 9852


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Anatoly A. Kazantsev" 07-24-2008 11:49 AM

lenny: get battery icon in icewm?
 
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:54:16 +0100
Mikhail Ramendik <mr@ramendik.ru> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 July 2008 10:26, Pedro Martínez Juliá wrote:
>
> > > Ideally I would want guidance-power-manager's features (CPU frequency
> > > policies, suspend, hibernate), just with a normal startup. But a mere
> > > battery icon will also do.

Hm, do you think that "CPU frequency, policies, suspend, hibernate" and other things needs yet another gui tool to configure. You are mistaken ;-)

Battery status has gone than 2.6.25 linux kernel came to lenny.
I think because of some old deprecated interface for acpi which exports info
throw /proc or /sys (I forget which one). Maybe that's not true :-)

--
Anatoly A. Kazantsev

Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm

Mikhail Ramendik 07-24-2008 12:23 PM

lenny: get battery icon in icewm?
 
On Thursday 24 July 2008 12:49, Anatoly A. Kazantsev wrote:

> > > > Ideally I would want guidance-power-manager's features (CPU frequency
> > > > policies, suspend, hibernate), just with a normal startup. But a mere
> > > > battery icon will also do.
>
> Hm, do you think that "CPU frequency, policies, suspend, hibernate" and
> other things needs yet another gui tool to configure. You are mistaken ;-)

Then I'd like documentataion on how to do all of these from the command line.

> Battery status has gone than 2.6.25 linux kernel came to lenny.
> I think because of some old deprecated interface for acpi which exports
> info throw /proc or /sys (I forget which one). Maybe that's not true :-)

Probably so. The new one is HAL.

Is there a fd.org compliant icon for HAL battery that would not be a part of
some KDE or Gnome monster? If not, I'd like to have the docs for this HAL
interface and a Python example of a fd.org compliant notification icon (I
don't care which toolkit it uses, pyqt or pygtk or whatever as long as it's
in lenny). I would then write the thing.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Anatoly A. Kazantsev" 07-24-2008 01:08 PM

lenny: get battery icon in icewm?
 
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:23:49 +0100
Mikhail Ramendik <mr@ramendik.ru> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 July 2008 12:49, Anatoly A. Kazantsev wrote:
>
> > Hm, do you think that "CPU frequency, policies, suspend, hibernate" and
> > other things needs yet another gui tool to configure. You are mistaken ;-)
>
> Then I'd like documentataion on how to do all of these from the command line.

Search for laptop-mode, cpufreqd and similar packages

> > Battery status has gone than 2.6.25 linux kernel came to lenny.
> > I think because of some old deprecated interface for acpi which exports
> > info throw /proc or /sys (I forget which one). Maybe that's not true :-)
>
> Probably so. The new one is HAL.

I'm talking about kernel interface, not about _yet_another_ abstraction layer.

> Is there a fd.org compliant icon for HAL battery that would not be a part of
> some KDE or Gnome monster? If not, I'd like to have the docs for this HAL
> interface and a Python example of a fd.org compliant notification icon (I
> don't care which toolkit it uses, pyqt or pygtk or whatever as long as it's
> in lenny). I would then write the thing.

It's better (in view of icewm) just find right place to read info about battery
status (from /proc or /sys dirs) and fix icewm sources.
And please don't invent wheels and bicycles ;-)

--
Anatoly A. Kazantsev

Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm

Mikhail Ramendik 07-24-2008 09:39 PM

lenny: get battery icon in icewm?
 
On Thursday 24 July 2008 14:08, Anatoly A. Kazantsev wrote:

> > > Battery status has gone than 2.6.25 linux kernel came to lenny.
> > > I think because of some old deprecated interface for acpi which exports
> > > info throw /proc or /sys (I forget which one). Maybe that's not true
> > > :-)
> >
> > Probably so. The new one is HAL.
>
> I'm talking about kernel interface, not about _yet_another_ abstraction
> layer.

Found this information:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=487824

"closing.
2.6.24 already had the /sys/class/power_supply support,
but we let some time for userspace to pick up."

The acpi utility also outputs correct information. I'll try to find
documentation and do a patch for icewm, or failing that file a bug against
the package.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Anatoly A. Kazantsev" 07-25-2008 03:50 AM

lenny: get battery icon in icewm?
 
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:39:26 +0100
Mikhail Ramendik <mr@ramendik.ru> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 July 2008 14:08, Anatoly A. Kazantsev wrote:
>
> > > > Battery status has gone than 2.6.25 linux kernel came to lenny.
> > > > I think because of some old deprecated interface for acpi which exports
> > > > info throw /proc or /sys (I forget which one). Maybe that's not true
> > > > :-)
> > >
> > > Probably so. The new one is HAL.
> >
> > I'm talking about kernel interface, not about _yet_another_ abstraction
> > layer.
>
> Found this information:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=487824
>
> "closing.
> 2.6.24 already had the /sys/class/power_supply support,
> but we let some time for userspace to pick up."
>
> The acpi utility also outputs correct information. I'll try to find
> documentation and do a patch for icewm, or failing that file a bug against
> the package.

Ye, thats's right way :-) Now battery status you can pickup from /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/battery/<your_battery_id_and_number>/power_supply:<some_id>/status

In my case this is /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/battery/PNP0C0A:00/power_supply:C1BC/status

P.S.: what about writing about it to icewm developers list?

--
Anatoly A. Kazantsev

Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.