Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Default hi list i have a problem

javier melendez wrote:
> i have a intel celeron, dual core, when i see the file /proc/cpuinfo
> he show me that my processor is a INTEL CELERON CPU E1200 1.6 GHZ. i
> installed the debian i386 but my quenstion is, can i install the
> amd64debian in my machine? "for usefull the power of the 2
> processor".

Probably. You can tell by looking at the cpu flags. If the 'lm' flag
(longmode) is available then it is 64-bit capable. If not then it is
not. Here is a simple one-liner that you can cut and paste.

grep -q '^flags.* lm ' /proc/cpuinfo && echo yes || echo no

Bob

Old 07-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Franklin PIAT

Hello,

You don't need to use debian-amd64 in order to enable the two cores.

Using 64bits brings a marginal performance improvements (a few
percentages. Humans can't really make the difference).
64bits is mostly useful when you need more RAM.

Switching to 64bits could raise some small issues, which probably
doesn't worth the few extra percent of performance.

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 20:47 +0000, javier melendez wrote:
> i have a intel celeron, dual core, when i see the file /proc/cpuinfo
> he show me that my processor is a INTEL CELERON CPU E1200 1.6 GHZ. i
> installed the debian i386 but my quenstion is, can i install the
> amd64debian in my machine? "for usefull the power of the 2
> processor".

Franklin

Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Gireesh

Not to mention that some packages are not available on the 64bit..

You don't need to use debian-amd64 in order to enable the two cores.

Using 64bits brings a marginal performance improvements (a few

percentages. Humans can't really make the difference).

64bits is mostly useful when you need more RAM.

Switching to 64bits could raise some small issues, which probably

doesn't worth the few extra percent of performance.

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 20:47 +0000, javier melendez wrote:

> i have a intel celeron, dual core, when i see the file /proc/cpuinfo

> he show me that my processor is a INTEL CELERON CPU E1200 1.6 GHZ. i

> installed the debian i386 but my quenstion is, can i install the

> amd64debian in my machine? *"for usefull the power of the 2

> processor".

Franklin

Gireesh

Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/14 javier melendez <slamd64@hotmail.com>:

> i have a intel celeron, dual core, when i see the file /proc/cpuinfo he show me that my processor is a INTEL CELERON CPU E1200 1.6 GHZ. i installed the debian i386 but my quenstion is, can i install the amd64debian in my machine? "for usefull the power of the 2 processor".

i386 should use both cores. Try it: do something really heavy (compile
KDE) and see if the OS bogs down. It should bog a little, but be
usable.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Johan Marklund

javier melendez skrev:

i have a intel celeron, dual core, when i see the file /proc/cpuinfo he show me that my processor is a INTEL CELERON CPU E1200 1.6 GHZ. i installed the debian i386 but my quenstion is, can i install the amd64debian in my machine? "for usefull the power of the 2 processor".

thanks
Do more with your photos with Windows Live Photo Gallery.
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_photos_022008

Do you see both cores in /proc/cpuinfo?

--
Johan "yosh" Marklund

Old 07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Alessandro Pellizzari

Il giorno lun, 14/07/2008 alle 20.47 +0000, javier melendez ha scritto:

> i have a intel celeron, dual core, when i see the file /proc/cpuinfo he show me that my processor is a INTEL CELERON CPU E1200 1.6 GHZ. i installed the debian i386 but my quenstion is, can i install the amd64debian in my machine? "for usefull the power of the 2 processor".

You don't need amd64 version to use both cores, just to install a "-686"
kernel like this:

linux-image-2.6.25-2-686

Bye.

--
Alessandro Pellizzari

Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 PM
"Buehl, Reiner (HPS EMEA, DO-C&I)"

To be more precice: If it says you have an INTEL cpu - no matter how many
cores you have or if your cpu is 32 or 64 bits, using an AMD optimized kernel
is a bad idea! It will work but you will end up with a slower system then you
have now.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Buehl, Reiner (HPS EMEA, DO-C&I) wrote:
> To be more precice: If it says you have an INTEL cpu - no matter how many
> cores you have or if your cpu is 32 or 64 bits, using an AMD optimized kernel
> is a bad idea! It will work but you will end up with a slower system then you
> have now.

Let me help clear up some confusion. The "amd64" is an instruction
set architecture not a cpu. Both AMD and Intel produce cpus using
that instruction set. An Athlon x2 is an AMD processor that
implements the amd64 instruction set. An Intel Core 2 Duo cpu also
implements the amd64 instruction set. It is perfectly okay to run an
amd64 64-bit system on a 64-bit Intel processor. You can even run an
amd64 architecture compiled optimized for an Intel Core 2 Duo cpu. It
would still be amd64 machine code.

This isn't to confuse the amd64 architecture with the ia64
architecture. The ia64 architecture is quite different from the amd64
architecture and are not compatible. These names often lead to
confusion among people who try to boot ia64 software on an amd64
system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd64

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IA-64

However for a desktop there are still a small set of important
applications which appear to be only available as 32-bit binary blobs
and therefore a 32-bit system is a good recommendation unless you have
specific needs.

Personally I run a 64-bit desktop with everything but a few 32-bit
applications running inside a 32-bit chroot. It is more complicated
but also more flexible. This process is documented here:

http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id292205

Bob