-   -   Thinkpad 770 screen problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/121559-thinkpad-770-screen-problem.html)

"Isaac MacFarlane" 07-09-2008 06:20 AM

Thinkpad 770 screen problem

Hi all. I've installed Debian 4.0 on this system. I can't get X to go to the maximum resolution of 1024x768. It also doesn't use the full screen in console mode. I was using Mandriva 2008.1, but switched to hopefully get a more stable system.

The chipset is a Trident 9337 with 2 mb of memory.

I thank you all for any info you can provide me with.

"VinÝcius Vieira Marques" 07-09-2008 11:58 AM

Thinkpad 770 screen problem

Hi Isaac,

Have you tried to configure your X using the "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" command?

If not, try it. There, you can specify your card model and resolutions to be used by the X server. I think this can help you.

Report if you have no sucess.

A hug!

VinÝcius V. Marques
Rond˘nia/Brazil

James Tappin 07-09-2008 01:48 PM

Thinkpad 770 screen problem

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 00:20:48 -0600
"Isaac MacFarlane" <spideyfan1972@gmail.com> wrote:

IM> Hi all. I've installed Debian 4.0 on this system. I can't get X to
IM> go to the maximum resolution of 1024x768. It also doesn't use the
IM> full screen in console mode. I was using Mandriva 2008.1, but
IM> switched to hopefully get a more stable system.
IM>
IM> The chipset is a Trident 9337 with 2 mb of memory.
IM>
IM> I thank you all for any info you can provide me with.

What colour depth are you using -- with only 2 megs you certainly won't
be able to get 1024x768 at 24 bpp, and I'm not sure that even 16 would
work (back in antiquity I recall that an 8Mb card could not do 1280x1024
at 24 -- and that is only an apparent 3.75Mb). So my guess is you'll
only get the full resolution in 8bpp.