Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
janskey

Default NIC not dectected - broadcom 59xx

Hi All,

I'm having problem installing debian 4 on my dell inspiron 1420, because it can't find my interface from fresh install.

NIC details: broadcom 59xx - netlink fast ethernet

Any advice?

cheers,

janskey

Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Franklin PIAT

Hello,

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 04:57 -0700, janskey wrote:
> I'm having problem installing debian 4 on my dell inspiron 1420,
> because it can't find my interface from fresh install.
>
> NIC details: broadcom 59xx - netlink fast ethernet

You should "lspci -nn" to get the PCI id[1].

Then you can search for the device in the page [2] to find the module
that handle your PCI card (under DebianUnstable's 2.6.25).

Then use "modinfo MODULENAME" to see if Etch supports it too.

Franklin.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/HowToIdentifyADevice/PCI
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DeviceDatabase/PCI

----
Note:
According to http://bugs.debian.org/469727, the 1420 seems to have a
"NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1713]" NIC.
This NIC doesn't seems to be handled by DebianEtch's 2.6.18 (see
"modinfo tg3").
If it's your case too, you might want to test:
http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf
Then submit an Installation report :
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug

Old 06-11-2008, 01:05 AM
janskey

Hi Franklin,

I'll try to work on that. Thanks for this information. Btw, is there a way that I can post in the wiki if this is successful? Just want to share to those people who are using the same NIC. Thanks Again!

cheers,

janskey

:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug

Old 06-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Franklin PIAT

Hello,

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 18:05 -0700, janskey wrote:
> I'll try to work on that. Thanks for this information. Btw, is there a
> way that I can post in the wiki if this is successful? Just want to
> share to those people who are using the same NIC. Thanks Again!

I recommend you to make an installation-report (whether Etch-n-half
works or not). This will help debian-developpers to know about your
hardware.

Anybody can edit wiki pages (see [1]). So you can simply edit(or create)
the page related to your network module, then state that it doesn't work
under Etch, etc..
Finally, you might want to make an Installation guide for Inspiron
1420[2] (this takes more time).

Franklin

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWiki
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn

Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Gireesh

Hi All,
You could take a look at this page. It lists the output of lspci, lsusb and other commands in detail for this model (though the page says fedora 8 was used).

http://www.vfxcomputing.com/wp-dell-inspiron-1420.php