Old 12-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Warren Togami

Default mkinitrd cleanup questions

1)
mkinitrd/F-8/mkinitrd-forceide.patch
mkinitrd/F-8/mkinitrd-dmdeps.patch

These patches live in cvspkgs against mkinitrd-6.0.19 but are not in
your upstream git repo. Are they unsuitable for upstream or something?

2)
# If we have ide devices and module ide, do the right thing
ide=/proc/ide/ide*
if [ -n "$forceide" -o -n "$ide" -a "x$PROBE" == "xyes" ]; then
findmodule -ide-disk
fi

Do we need this part of mkinitrd anymore? There is no ide-disk module.

Warren

Old 12-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Warren Togami

3)
<...>
Adding module dm-mod
Adding module dm-mirror
Adding module dm-zero
Adding module dm-snapshot
Adding module libiscsi
Adding module ata_piix
This initrd uses dynamic shared objects.
Adding dynamic linker configuration files.
/etc/ld.so.conf -> /tmp/initrd.sa4630/etc/ld.so.conf
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/wine-32.conf ->
/tmp/initrd.sa4630/etc/ld.so.conf.d/wine-32.conf
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/qt-x86_64.conf ->
/tmp/initrd.sa4630/etc/ld.so.conf.d/qt-x86_64.conf
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/qt-i386.conf ->
/tmp/initrd.sa4630/etc/ld.so.conf.d/qt-i386.conf
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/mysql-x86_64.conf ->
/tmp/initrd.sa4630/etc/ld.so.conf.d/mysql-x86_64.conf

Running ldconfig

mkinitrd -v of both bash-branch and upstream copies these irrelevant
ld.so.conf.d files into the initrd. These particular files don't seem
to be causing harm, but should we avoid copying this stuff just in case
some arbitrary file might cause unexpected behavior?

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com

Old 12-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Peter Jones

Warren Togami wrote:

mkinitrd -v of both bash-branch and upstream copies these irrelevant
ld.so.conf.d files into the initrd. These particular files don't seem
to be causing harm, but should we avoid copying this stuff just in case
some arbitrary file might cause unexpected behavior?

No, we should be doing exactly what we're doing. We can't know if
they're relevant or not; all we can be sure of is that the running
system works when they're there.

--
Peter