Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 AM
maximilian attems

Default asm-{alpha,h8300,um,v850,xtensa}/param.h: unbreak HZ for userspace

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 01:05:31PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> could we please get an ack or nack on that patch.
> checked linux-next and it doesn't appear there.
> without it currently perl 5.10 doesn't build on alpha:
> perl.c: In function 'perl_construct':
> perl.c:388: error: 'CONFIG_HZ' undeclared (first use in this function)
> -> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=perl;ver=5.10.0-10;arch=alpha;stamp=1210252894

hmm it seems more userspace expects CONFIG_HZ, so it's not only a perl
build breakage..

Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, maximilian attems wrote:
> could we please get an ack or nack on that patch.

it's already been added to linux-mm
-mike

Old 05-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 01:05:31PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > could we please get an ack or nack on that patch.
> > checked linux-next and it doesn't appear there.
> > without it currently perl 5.10 doesn't build on alpha:
> > perl.c: In function 'perl_construct':
> > perl.c:388: error: 'CONFIG_HZ' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > ->
> > http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=perl;ver=5.10.0-10;arch=alpha;stam
> >p=1210252894
>
> hmm it seems more userspace expects CONFIG_HZ, so it's not only a perl
> build breakage..

anything using CONFIG_HZ is absolutely broken. go fix the package.

anything using HZ should be converted to sysconf(), but i'm not about to go on
that crusade to fix things up
-mike

Old 05-14-2008, 12:32 PM
maximilian attems

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 08:12:42AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 May 2008, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 01:05:31PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > could we please get an ack or nack on that patch.
> > > checked linux-next and it doesn't appear there.
> > > without it currently perl 5.10 doesn't build on alpha:
> > > perl.c: In function 'perl_construct':
> > > perl.c:388: error: 'CONFIG_HZ' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > > ->
> > > http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=perl;ver=5.10.0-10;arch=alpha;stam
> > >p=1210252894
> >
> > hmm it seems more userspace expects CONFIG_HZ, so it's not only a perl
> > build breakage..
>
> anything using CONFIG_HZ is absolutely broken. go fix the package.
>
> anything using HZ should be converted to sysconf(), but i'm not about to go on
> that crusade to fix things up

news at 11

okay great that the patch went into mm.

--
maks

Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 08:12:42AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > > hmm it seems more userspace expects CONFIG_HZ, so it's not only a perl
> > > build breakage..
> >
> > anything using CONFIG_HZ is absolutely broken. go fix the package.
> >
> > anything using HZ should be converted to sysconf(), but i'm not about to
> > go on that crusade to fix things up
>
> news at 11
>
> okay great that the patch went into mm.

i'm guessing you're thinking packages are using CONFIG_HZ when in reality they
arent. the asm-alpha/param.h in 2.6.25 does:
#define HZ CONFIG_HZ
so anything using HZ would end up with an error message about CONFIG_HZ being
undefined
-mike

Old 05-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Andrew Morton

On Wed, 14 May 2008 13:05:31 +0200 maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:

> without it currently perl 5.10 doesn't build on alpha:
> perl.c: In function 'perl_construct':
> perl.c:388: error: 'CONFIG_HZ' undeclared (first use in this function)
> -> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=perl;ver=5.10.0-10;arch=alpha;stamp=1210252894

um, that was a fairly important piece of information which was cruelly
hidden from us - thanks.

I happened to have already planned on sending this fix in for 2.6.26
but it wasn't an obvious call.