Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Ben Hutchings

Default Fixing linux-modules-extra-2.6

Daniel,

I had a look at the various build failures for linux-modules-extra-2.6,
filed bugs on those module-source packages that didn't have them, and
have suggested fixes for some. I then made the module-source bugs block
#478314 as appropriate.

source ftbfs on? bug fixed

atl2 mips, s390 453016 no (can be disabled)
aufs -
btrfs -
drbd8 mips, mipsel 453077 no (disabled)
et131x s390 480733 no (patch)
gspca -
iscsitarget alpha, hppa, mips, mipsel 480734 no (patch)
kqemu -
loop-aes -
lzma -
r6040 amd64 475705 no (patch)
redhat-cluster all 479721 no (fixed-upstream)
squashfs m68k 431409 no (not release arch)
sfc arm, armel, powerpc, sparc 475467 yes
tp-smapi -
unionfs -
virtualbox-ose -
virtualbox-ose-guest all 478333 no (patch)

Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to test my suggested fixes for
arch-dependent failures, and I don't know how we might disable some
modules on some configurations (suggested for atl2).

Also we don't know that there won't be other build failures once these
are fixed. :-(

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers. - Leonard Brandwein

Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Daniel Baumann

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Daniel,

Hi Ben,

> I had a look at the various build failures for linux-modules-extra-2.6,
> filed bugs on those module-source packages that didn't have them, and
> have suggested fixes for some. I then made the module-source bugs block
> #478314 as appropriate.

thanks, however, this is a bit inaccurate, since the results are for old
2.6.24.

The workflow is usually like this: upload for a new kernel release for
working modules on i386 and fill bugs for non-working ones, once it's
passed through NEW, fill bugs for all !i386 failures, if any. wait one
or two days for responses from module maintainers, otherwise disable
module on affected archs and re-upload. Then, if module maintainers have
fixed their modules before testing migration, another upload happens
with only this change.

For now.. let's just wait until 2.6.25-2 made it through NEW...

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM
maximilian attems

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> sfc arm, armel, powerpc, sparc 475467 yes

merged for 2.6.26 so can be dropped soon.
already enabled in trunk.

--
maks

Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 10:58 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Sun, 11 May 2008, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > sfc arm, armel, powerpc, sparc 475467 yes
>
> merged for 2.6.26 so can be dropped soon.

Yes, I'm rather pleased about this one. :-)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Always try to do things in chronological order;

Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Ben Hutchings

New status:

source ftbfs on? bug fixed

atl2 mips, s390 453016 disabled these
aufs -
btrfs many ? disabled these
drbd8 alpha, mips, mipsel, s390 453077 disabled these
eeepc-acpi -
et131x s390 480733 no (should disable)
gspca -
iscsitarget alpha, mips, mipsel 480734 yes (but disabled)
kqemu -
loop-aes -
lzma -
nilfs2 ia64 481847 disabled ia64
r6040 amd64 475705 disabled (but should patch)
redhat-cluster all 479721 disabled (but fixed-upstream)
squashfs hppa, m68k 431409 disabled hppa; m68k not release arch
sfc s390 - no (should disable s390)
tp-smapi -
virtualbox-ose -
virtualbox-ose-guest all 478333 no (patch)

All the PCI drivers (atl2, et131x, r6040, sfc) should be disabled on
s390 and any other configuration that excludes PCI. sfc is still
enabled.

I just uploaded a fix for #480734, and will try to work through the
other bugs with patches available.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Gates has joked that everything goes on and off unexepectedly in the house,

Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Ben Hutchings

Today's status:

source ftbfs on? bug fixed

atl2 mips, s390 453016 disabled these (but could patch for mips?)
aufs -
btrfs many ? disabled these
drbd8 alpha, mips, mipsel, s390 453077 disabled these
eeepc-acpi -
et131x s390 480733 no (should disable s390)
gspca -
iscsitarget alpha, hppa, mips, mipsel 480734 yes (but disabled)
kqemu -
loop-aes -
lzma -
nilfs2 ia64 481847 disabled ia64
r6040 amd64 475705 disabled all (looks very buggy)
redhat-cluster all 479721 yes (but disabled)
squashfs hppa, m68k 431409 disabled hppa; m68k not release arch
sfc s390 480733 no (should disable s390)
tp-smapi -
virtualbox-ose -
virtualbox-ose-guest all 478333 yes

It looks like all architectures will build now if the remaining two PCI
drivers are disabled on s390. iscsitarget and redhat-cluster could
probably be re-enabled back now, but maybe it's best to leave them to a
later upload for safety. I'm still working through the other build
failures.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
One of the nice things about standards is that there are so many of them.