Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   Bug#480637: linux-image-amd64 - waiting for root filesystem (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/85839-bug-480637-linux-image-amd64-waiting-root-filesystem.html)

maximilian attems 05-11-2008 10:09 AM

Bug#480637: linux-image-amd64 - waiting for root filesystem
 
tags 480637 moreinfo
stop

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:10:22AM +0200, Angelo Puglisi wrote:
> Package: linux-image-amd64
> Version: 2.6.24+13
>
>
> All testing kernels do not start in my notebook. With a little investigation
> I found out that initrd is very little compared to etch one:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7068594 10 mag 23:16 initrd.img-2.6.18-6-amd64
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1344638 10 mag 22:30 initrd.img-2.6.24-1-amd64
>
> I tried using both yaird 0.0.12-25 and initramfs-tools 0.92a and the result
> is similar.
>
> I attached diff between initramfs of etch kernel and lenny kernel.


send in the output of
sh -x mkinitramfs -o /tmp/foo



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

maximilian attems 05-11-2008 10:49 PM

Bug#480637: linux-image-amd64 - waiting for root filesystem
 
[ don't remove bug report from cc, this is *not* private communication
kthxbye ]

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Angelo Puglisi wrote:

> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 12:09 PM, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:
>
> I created againg initrd.img-2.6.24-1-amd64 with initramfs-tools and it seems
> better, but it still don't work.

how about if you'd report the failure of it?!

> I attacched new diff file.
> I did:
> sh -x mkinitramfs -k -o /tmp/foo 2.6.24-1-amd64 &> /tmp/mkinitramfs.log
>
> and attacched the log.

just looks fine and pretty sure that this initramfs contrare to your
report is *not* 1mb big.

send in:
ls -l /boot


--
maks



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Angelo Puglisi" 05-12-2008 04:57 PM

Bug#480637: linux-image-amd64 - waiting for root filesystem
 
On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:49 AM, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:

[ don't remove bug report from cc, this is *not* private communication

*kthxbye ]



On Sun, 11 May 2008, Angelo Puglisi wrote:



> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 12:09 PM, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:

>

> I created againg initrd.img-2.6.24-1-amd64 with initramfs-tools and it seems

> better, but it still don't work.



how about if you'd report the failure of it?!



> I attacched new diff file.

> I did:

> sh -x mkinitramfs -k -o /tmp/foo 2.6.24-1-amd64 &> /tmp/mkinitramfs.log

>

> and attacched the log.



just looks fine and pretty sure that this initramfs contrare to your

report is *not* 1mb big.



send in:

ls -l /boot





--

maks



The old initramfs was created by yaird and is the little one.
The new initramfs was created by initramfs-tools but it still don't work.
Waiting for root filesystem is the failure of last initramfs. The failure of yaird made initramfs is lots of lines of:

/sys/block/hda/dev: No such file or directory
and after that a kernel panic.
It's obvious that I do not have logs because of the disk is not found.

Here the output of ls -l /boot as you asked:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root** 64816 24 apr 05:53 config-2.6.18-6-amd64

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root** 79389 19 apr 01:13 config-2.6.24-1-amd64
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root*** 4096 11 mag 21:31 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7068495 11 mag 11:04 initrd.img-2.6.18-6-amd64
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7491631 11 mag 15:19 initrd.img-2.6.24-1-amd64

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root* 974070 24 apr 07:50 System.map-2.6.18-6-amd64
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1158727 19 apr 01:13 System.map-2.6.24-1-amd64
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1512415 24 apr 07:50 vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-amd64
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1668120 19 apr 01:12 vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amd64

maximilian attems 05-12-2008 05:29 PM

Bug#480637: linux-image-amd64 - waiting for root filesystem
 
On Mon, 12 May 2008, Angelo Puglisi wrote:

> The old initramfs was created by yaird and is the little one.
> The new initramfs was created by initramfs-tools but it still don't work.
> Waiting for root filesystem is the failure of last initramfs.

that is *not* the failure just the symptom.

check out
http://wiki.debian.org/InitramfsDebug


> yaird made initramfs is lots of lines of:
> /sys/block/hda/dev: No such file or directory
> and after that a kernel panic.
> It's obvious that I do not have logs because of the disk is not found.
>
> Here the output of ls -l /boot as you asked:

looks fine

most probably your root device got renamed from hda to sda,
please double check the *last* messages initramfs-tools gives
you when throwing you to console with lower rootdelay value.

--
maks



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Jonas Smedegaard 05-12-2008 10:29 PM

Bug#480637: linux-image-amd64 - waiting for root filesystem
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 06:57:52PM +0200, Angelo Puglisi wrote:

>The old initramfs was created by yaird and is the little one.
>The new initramfs was created by initramfs-tools but it still don't
>work.
>Waiting for root filesystem is the failure of last initramfs. The
>failure of yaird made initramfs is lots of lines of:
>/sys/block/hda/dev: No such file or directory
>and after that a kernel panic.

Please file a separate bugreport against yaird, to help resolve any
problems there.

Kind regards,

- Jonas

- --
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist og Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136 Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

- Enden er nær: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIKMTPn7DbMsAkQLgRAsThAKCj0Bp3tgvlRHhtOeRQ4Q pgxW+57QCdFozo
l+4uZJFZ9L8RXGzfk4N2w0w=
=l3Y1
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Angelo Puglisi" 05-13-2008 09:08 AM

Bug#480637: linux-image-amd64 - waiting for root filesystem
 
rootdelay has no effect.

The next-to-last message is "waiting for root filesystem", the last message is something about usb...
After that the system hangs.

I tried using sda instead of hda and it works!


Maybe it would be better to use uuid to avoid these problems.
Some time ago I heard about hda to sda rename but I hadn't thought about that ^_^'

Sorry for wasting your time.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.