Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 AM
"Karena Stannett"

Default SCTP implementation

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can answer a question for me. I'm about to start some comparison research on two transport protocols, SCTP and DCCP, which means some network emulation. Lucky for me the open source community is working on implementations of these protocols! From http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/NetCCP I believe DCCP is implemented within the Linux kernel and from http://lksctp.sourceforge.net/INSTALL I know I need a Linux distribution with SCTP support.

From a search of the mailing lists I also know that in Apr 2004 within the Debian-Mentors listing Michael Biebl was looking for a sponsor to get the packages for the lksctp project into the main Debian archive http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/04/msg00263.html and that, subsequent to the packages entering unstable, in http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00179.html he further mentions bugs relating to the enabling of SCTP support in a 2.6 kernel.

Unfortunately I've lost the thread from there on and am not sure what the current status of DCCP and SCTP support is with Debian
Is there anyone who can clarify this situation for me so that I either proceed using Debian and/or any required patches, or (hopefully not) start looking at other distributions if necessary. Additionally if Debian has support for these protocols I would appreciate any advice/comments/tips on anything specific to their operation within Debian i.e. any specific documentation I should read.

Now I admit (with great regret) that I have very limited experience of the Linux O/S having only covered a basic installation during my degree course. I use open source where possible (Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office when I can) and look forward to spending some more time getting more acquainted with an open source O/S. I mention this only so that anyone who answers this appreciates that I have limited technical knowledge (at the moment).
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Karena Stannett
Software Research Centre
Athlone Institute of Technology

The information contained in this email is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you have received this email in error, please do not use or transmit it for any purpose but rather notify us immediately and delete all copies of this email from your computer system(s). Unless otherwise specifically agreed by our authorised representative, the views expressed in this email are those of the author only and shall not represent the view of or otherwise bind Athlone Institute of Technology. Contact administrator@ait.ie or telephone 090 6471858.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM
dann frazier

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 11:21:42AM -0000, Karena Stannett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping you can answer a question for me. I'm about to start some
> comparison research on two transport protocols, SCTP and DCCP, which
> means some network emulation. Lucky for me the open source community
> is working on implementations of these protocols! From
> http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/NetCCP I believe DCCP is
> implemented within the Linux kernel and from
> http://lksctp.sourceforge.net/INSTALL I know I need a Linux
> distribution with SCTP support.

Both kernel and userspace support for SCTP are available in Debian 4.0
and later. Debian 4.0 is based on a 2.6.18 kernel, but a number of
changesets have been backported from later kernels to increase
stability. This is thanks to my coworker Vlad Yasevich, who is also
the upstream SCTP maintainer for Linux.

That said, I'm not an SCTP expert, so I don't know of a good resource
for documentation. I'd suggest beginning with the documentation in the
lksctp-tools and libsctp-dev packages, and using google from there.

I know even less about DCCP, but there is at least kernel support for
it available in Debian 4.0 ('etch') and later.

--
dann frazier

Old 11-29-2007, 03:27 PM
"Karena Stannett"

Dann

Many thanks to yourself and Vlad Yasevich for your prompt answer and advice about where to get further information. I'll follow up on that. At least I know I'm heading in the right direction now.

Regards

Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Hagen Paul Pfeifer

* Karena Stannett | 2007-11-29 11:21:42 [-0000]:

>Unfortunately I've lost the thread from there on and am not sure what the
>current status of DCCP and SCTP support is with Debian Is there anyone who
>can clarify this situation for me so that I either proceed using Debian
>and/or any required patches, or (hopefully not) start looking at other
>distributions if necessary. Additionally if Debian has support for these
>protocols I would appreciate any advice/comments/tips on anything specific to
>their operation within Debian i.e. any specific documentation I should read.

Try netsend! Netsend was build for protocol testing and optimized for linux.
SCTP and DCCP are supported, beside TCP, UDP, UDPLite and TIPC.

See

http://netsend.berlios.de/

for further information about netsend.

>Now I admit (with great regret) that I have very limited experience of the
>Linux O/S having only covered a basic installation during my degree course. I
>use open source where possible (Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office when I can)
>and look forward to spending some more time getting more acquainted with an
>open source O/S. I mention this only so that anyone who answers this
>appreciates that I have limited technical knowledge (at the moment). Thanks
>in advance for any assistance.

Install Subversion and build-essential ("aptitude install subversion
build-essential"), check out the repository
"svn co http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/netsend/trunk", change to the source
directory "cd trunk", execute configure "./configure" and voilą! Now you can
start netsend in receive and transmit mode. Maybe some day a nice debain
packet will be appear ... ;-)

HGN

--
Hagen Paul Pfeifer <hagen@jauu.net> || http://jauu.net/
Telephone: +49 174 5455209 || Key Id: 0x98350C22