FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#686464: USB3 HDD spontaneously disconnects sporadically

Hi Sladjan,

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 23:17 +0200, Sladjan Ristic wrote:

>> The kernel.log I will upload too occured during copying files from one
>> partition to another (ext4, both on that same external HDD). The drive
>> seemed to disconnect, and this happened sporadically many times I
>> worked with it. Sometimes after a short while, sometimes it didn't
>> occur for hours.
> [...]
>
> Can you try using a different USB cable? If this enclosure has internal
> cables, can you check that they are firmly connected?
>
> If the cables are OK, can you test whether Linux 3.5 (packaged in the
> experimental suite as linux-image-3.5-trunk-amd64) works better?

Now I'm in suspense. Do you still have access to this machine? Any
new clues since the initial report?

Curious,
Jonathan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120930004153.GA13561@elie.Belkin
 
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Sladjan Ri
 
Default Bug#686464: USB3 HDD spontaneously disconnects sporadically

Hi Jonathan,

I don't have another USB3 cable, but this one looks okay, and it is brand new - it was included with the USB enclosure. I have been using the disk internally since my report, and I have not found the time to remove it from the server to test a another kernel.


As I wrote, this had happened on two entirely different PCs.

Regards,

Sladjan

On Sep 30, 2012 2:42 AM, "Jonathan Nieder" <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sladjan,



Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 23:17 +0200, Sladjan Ristic wrote:



>> The kernel.log I will upload too occured during copying files from one

>> partition to another (ext4, both on that same external HDD). The drive

>> seemed to disconnect, and this happened sporadically many times I

>> worked with it. Sometimes after a short while, sometimes it didn't

>> occur for hours.

> [...]

>

> Can you try using a different USB cable? *If this enclosure has internal

> cables, can you check that they are firmly connected?

>

> If the cables are OK, can you test whether Linux 3.5 (packaged in the

> experimental suite as linux-image-3.5-trunk-amd64) works better?



Now I'm in suspense. *Do you still have access to this machine? *Any

new clues since the initial report?



Curious,

Jonathan
 
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#686464: USB3 HDD spontaneously disconnects sporadically

tags 686464 = unreproducible
quit

Sladjan Ri wrote:

> I have been using the disk
> internally since my report, and I have not found the time to remove it from
> the server to test a another kernel.

Thanks for the update, and no problem. Do you think you'll have time to
try this some time in the next couple of months?

If you won't, it's not clear to me how to move forward on this in the
short term, so I'd suggest closing the bug and revisiting it once you
or someone else finds a moment to reproduce it. If you're just busy
now and will probably have a chance to experiment some time this year,
that's fine and we can wait.

Jonathan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120930100045.GA26759@elie.Belkin
 
Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Sladjan Ri
 
Default Bug#686464: USB3 HDD spontaneously disconnects sporadically

Yes, certainly I will try this again, right now my USB enclosure is sitting here without any use.

Regards, Sladjan

On Sep 30, 2012 12:00 PM, "Jonathan Nieder" <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
tags 686464 = unreproducible

quit



Sladjan Ri wrote:



> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I have been using the disk

> internally since my report, and I have not found the time to remove it from

> the server to test a another kernel.



Thanks for the update, and no problem. *Do you think you'll have time to

try this some time in the next couple of months?



If you won't, it's not clear to me how to move forward on this in the

short term, so I'd suggest closing the bug and revisiting it once you

or someone else finds a moment to reproduce it. *If you're just busy

now and will probably have a chance to experiment some time this year,

that's fine and we can wait.



Jonathan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org