-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   F18: will disk partitioning be fixed ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/707981-f18-will-disk-partitioning-fixed.html)

"J. Thomsen" 09-27-2012 10:23 PM

F18: will disk partitioning be fixed ?

The F18 anaconda partitioning is seriuosly flawed by following the Microsoft route of removing
control from the users.
Se bugzilla bugs 854105 and 855646

As an advanced user I still want to be able to install Fedora from the standard installation
media and partition my disks exactly as I want them or reuse an existing disk layout without at
any moment having doubts about it.

This is requiring all available information about disks (e.g. model and serial number) as well
as size, position and type of partitions.

It is also requiring an easy way of creating partitions whether they are related to a mount
point or not (swap).

I am talking here about very basic functions, which should be available.

It appears to me, that the current alpha release of the partitioning has been focusing too much
on fancy icons.

Will in F18 a version be included, which cannot be considered a lesser product than earlier
versions ?

- Jørgen Th.

Jesse Keating 09-27-2012 11:00 PM

F18: will disk partitioning be fixed ?

It appears to me, that the current alpha release of the partitioning
has been focusing too much on fancy icons.

Will in F18 a version be included, which cannot be considered a
lesser product than earlier versions ?

The function set at Alpha is a reduced set from what we target for
Beta/Final. Please wait until we have completed the intended
functionality for the custom partitioning before passing judgment.

Read
http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2012/09/25/anaconda-bootloader-reusing-home-assigning-partitions-to-disks/
for current plans.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!

Chris Lumens 09-28-2012 01:58 PM

F18: will disk partitioning be fixed ?

> The F18 anaconda partitioning is seriuosly flawed by following the Microsoft route of removing
> control from the users.
> Se bugzilla bugs 854105 and 855646

When you lead off with insulting comments, you are less likely to see
the results you want.

If you'd followed our discussions, you would see that our end goal is to
keep the partitioning interface as flexible as it has been in the past,
but to present things in an easier way. I can't think of anything that
we've planned that reduces functionality.

> It appears to me, that the current alpha release of the partitioning has been focusing too much
> on fancy icons.

Then you would be incorrect.

- Chris

"J. Thomsen" 09-28-2012 08:44 PM

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:58:41 -0400,Chris Lumens <clumens@redhat.com> wrote:

>When you lead off with insulting comments, you are less likely to see
>the results you want.

It is not an insult. It is an observation of an apparent design goal based on a publicly
released product.

>If you'd followed our discussions, you would see that our end goal is to

I am not a member of the development team.
In my world I expect to see primarily bug fixes, not major functional changes in a released
alpha version of a product due to be final in a very short time, .

Maybe it would be much better to postpone this to F19 for a thorough development cycle to take
place.

- Jørgen

Chris Murphy 09-28-2012 09:50 PM

On Sep 28, 2012, at 2:44 PM, J. Thomsen wrote:

> It is not an insult. It is an observation of an apparent design goal based on a publicly
> released product.
>
> I am not a member of the development team.
> In my world I expect to see primarily bug fixes, not major functional changes in a released
> alpha version of a product due to be final in a very short time, .
>
> Maybe it would be much better to postpone this to F19 for a thorough development cycle to take
> place.

http://tinyurl.com/9dx5bbk

I am not literally asking or wanting a response to this question.

Chris Murphy

Jesse Keating 10-01-2012 04:20 PM

F18: will disk partitioning be fixed ?

When you lead off with insulting comments, you are less likely to
see the results you want.

It is not an insult. It is an observation of an apparent design goal
based on a publicly released product.

You've insulted us in your first message, and you continue to make
assumptions about the design goal, without having read any of the design
process. That's continued insult. This is my last reply on the thread
if you continue to be rude and hostile toward those you are seeking a
conversation with.

If you'd followed our discussions, you would see that our end goal
is to

I am not a member of the development team. In my world I expect to
see primarily bug fixes, not major functional changes in a released
alpha version of a product due to be final in a very short time, .

Perhaps you have a misunderstanding of our release process.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_18_Alpha_release_notes#The_Purpose_of_the_A lpha_Release

The Alpha release is the first widely distributed of the work in
progress Fedora 18 release. Alpha happens just after the Feature
Freeze, so it is certainly full of major functional changes, aka
features. There is a lot of time between the Alpha release and the
Final release. Months of time spent fine tuning these features and
fixing bugs that are discovered from the wider testing.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/18/Schedule

Alpha really is the time to see major functional changes.

Máirín Duffy 10-01-2012 05:57 PM

On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 22:44 +0200, J. Thomsen wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:58:41 -0400,Chris Lumens <clumens@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >When you lead off with insulting comments, you are less likely to see
> >the results you want.
>
> It is not an insult. It is an observation of an apparent design goal based on a publicly
> released product.

If you spent 1 second searching online about the anaconda redesign you'd
easily find the stated and actual (not assumed by you and sadly
incorrect) design goals. Why did you spend more time than that trolling
this list, asserting things you didn't bother looking up? I don't
understand.

If you find yourself confused or upset by software, it's usually better
to ask questions rather than make accusations and share your feelings on
a development list. And it's usually a good idea to resort to asking a
development list after doing some research and coming up empty after
that.

Here, since you seem to need some help, I'll rewrite your email for you:

"I tried the new F18 anaconda UI and I have some questions about it.
Would you mind helping me figure it out?

"1. How do I use LVM over mdadm? (bz 854105)

"2. I don't know how to use mdadm with disks of separate sizes. Is this
possible? (bz 854105)

"3. I don't know how to indicate which physical disk I want a given
partition to be on. How do I do this? (bz 854105)

"4. Is there a way to display the /dev path for the volumes in the
custom partitioning UI? (bz 855646)

"5. Is it possible to re-use an existing disk layout when installing
Fedora?

"6. Is it possible to view the model and serial number of disks in the
new Anaconda UI?

"7. Is it possible to review the size, position, and type of partitions
in the UI?

"8. Is it possible to create a new swap partition?"

To your new email, I know some of the answers, but I feel like I've
already spent enough time on you to answer them right now. Good luck.

~m