Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Hideki Yamane

Default : linux 3.4 (LTS)

Hi,

I saw a post in https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/8/20/675 by Greg-KH

>> As I'm getting a few questions about this, and I realized that I never
>> sent out an email about this, yes, the 3.4 kernel tree will be the next
>> -longterm kernel that I will be maintaining for at least 2 years.
>>
>> Currently I'm maintaining the following stable kernel trees for the
>> following amount of time:
>> 3.0 - for at least one more year
>> 3.4 - for at least two years
>> 3.5 - until 3.6.1 is out
>>
>> Hope this helps clear up any rumors floating around. If anyone has any
>> questions, please let me know.

Just a question:
3.4 is also LTS. Using 3.2 for Wheezy cycle is better than 3.4?

Using old kernel is sometimes hard to import new drivers for new
hardware, I guess. I know 3.2.x is stable enough and we're in freeze
already, but Wheezy kernel will be used until 2016 or so. If we choose
3.4, then can get nice features and new drivers with less kernel
maintainer team work, it's better.

Hideki Yamane henrich @ debian.or.jp/org
http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane

Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 09:51 +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw a post in https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/8/20/675 by Greg-KH
>
> >> As I'm getting a few questions about this, and I realized that I never
> >> sent out an email about this, yes, the 3.4 kernel tree will be the next
> >> -longterm kernel that I will be maintaining for at least 2 years.
> >>
> >> Currently I'm maintaining the following stable kernel trees for the
> >> following amount of time:
> >> 3.0 - for at least one more year
> >> 3.4 - for at least two years
> >> 3.5 - until 3.6.1 is out
> >>
> >> Hope this helps clear up any rumors floating around. If anyone has any
> >> questions, please let me know.
>
> Just a question:
> 3.4 is also LTS. Using 3.2 for Wheezy cycle is better than 3.4?

Don't know for sure, but we are committed to using a base version of
3.2.

> Using old kernel is sometimes hard to import new drivers for new
> hardware, I guess. I know 3.2.x is stable enough and we're in freeze
> already, but Wheezy kernel will be used until 2016 or so.

Which is why I volunteered to maintain 3.2.y and intend to do so for
that period. (Which you may note is longer than Greg will maintain
3.4.y.)

> If we choose
> 3.4, then can get nice features and new drivers with less kernel
> maintainer team work, it's better.

We can also get more regressions, too. Drivers and other features can
often be backported; in fact, we've done that already.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
One of the nice things about standards is that there are so many of them.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Hideki Yamane

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 00:27:54 -0700
Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> > Just a question:
> > 3.4 is also LTS. Using 3.2 for Wheezy cycle is better than 3.4?
>
> Don't know for sure, but we are committed to using a base version of
> 3.2.

Okay.

> > Using old kernel is sometimes hard to import new drivers for new
> > hardware, I guess. I know 3.2.x is stable enough and we're in freeze
> > already, but Wheezy kernel will be used until 2016 or so.
>
> Which is why I volunteered to maintain 3.2.y and intend to do so for
> that period. (Which you may note is longer than Greg will maintain
> 3.4.y.)

Thanks for your maintenance for 3.2.y kernel, it helps us (Debian and
other distro) a lot...

> We can also get more regressions, too. Drivers and other features can
> often be backported; in fact, we've done that already.

Thanks again.