Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Julien Cristau

Default drm backport to 3.2

Hi,

I've pushed to
git://anonscm.debian.org/git/users/jcristau/linux 3.2.y+drm3.4.y
a backport of the drm subsystem from 3.4.y to the 3.2.y kernel. It
works for me so far on a box with intel gm45 graphics, but the only
other hardware I have is an old intel 945gm, so I'd appreciate testing
by others. In particular I'd be interested in regression (or not)
reports for systems where the current sid kernel works fine, and testing
on newer hardware that is not (or not so well) supported in sid right
now.

Cheers,
Julien

Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Sven-Haegar Koch

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, Julien Cristau wrote:

> I've pushed to
> git://anonscm.debian.org/git/users/jcristau/linux 3.2.y+drm3.4.y
> a backport of the drm subsystem from 3.4.y to the 3.2.y kernel. It
> works for me so far on a box with intel gm45 graphics, but the only
> other hardware I have is an old intel 945gm, so I'd appreciate testing
> by others. In particular I'd be interested in regression (or not)
> reports for systems where the current sid kernel works fine, and testing
> on newer hardware that is not (or not so well) supported in sid right
> now.

Wouldn't it make sense to use the new compat-drivers stuff for this
instead of a seperate backporting effort (aka formerly compat-wireless)?

https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.do-not-panic.com/2012/08/automatically-backporting-linux-kernel.html

The linux-next-based snapshots already contain support for the DRM
subsystem.

c'ya
sven-haegar

--
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
- Ben F.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Julien Cristau

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 14:48:48 +0200, Sven-Haegar Koch wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, Julien Cristau wrote:
>
> > I've pushed to
> > git://anonscm.debian.org/git/users/jcristau/linux 3.2.y+drm3.4.y
> > a backport of the drm subsystem from 3.4.y to the 3.2.y kernel. It
> > works for me so far on a box with intel gm45 graphics, but the only
> > other hardware I have is an old intel 945gm, so I'd appreciate testing
> > by others. In particular I'd be interested in regression (or not)
> > reports for systems where the current sid kernel works fine, and testing
> > on newer hardware that is not (or not so well) supported in sid right
> > now.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to use the new compat-drivers stuff for this
> instead of a seperate backporting effort (aka formerly compat-wireless)?
>
> https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
> http://www.do-not-panic.com/2012/08/automatically-backporting-linux-kernel.html
>
> The linux-next-based snapshots already contain support for the DRM
> subsystem.

I haven't looked at that stuff yet, but I kinda chose 3.4 on purpose,
because not all releases are equal and I'd like to have something at
least vaguely stable. compat-drivers is certainly something I'll keep
in mind for the future though.

Cheers,
Julien