FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

Hi Luis,

Luis Mochan wrote:

> I tried, but after blacklisting nvidia, commenting out
> nvidia-kernel-common.conf and running update-initramfs -u to avoid
> nvidia being loaded, the noveau driver was loaded instead and the
> video of my laptop became useless. I couldn't use nor X nor the text
> consoles. I had to boot from a live CD to revert my changes and load
> nvidia again.

Does blacklisting both nvidia and nouveau work?

Can you say a little more about how nouveau makes your laptop
video useless (preferably with logs, e.g. if you can ssh in)? That
would be another, important bug.

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120818103803.GA3012@mannheim-rule.local
 
Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Luis Mochan
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

Hello Jonathan,

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 03:38:03AM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> ...
>
> Does blacklisting both nvidia and nouveau work?
I haven't tried yet.
> Can you say a little more about how nouveau makes your laptop
> video useless (preferably with logs, e.g. if you can ssh in)? That
> would be another, important bug.
The screen appears black, with some blinking gray lines. I'll post
more details when I try again. If I recall correctly, a long time ago
my video worked reasonably with the nv driver. Since it was not
supported anymore under wheezy, I installed the proprietary nvidia
driver. Anyway, I will test again removing the driver when I find some
free time.
Best regards,
Luis


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120819005633.GB4285@yapaque.fis.unam.mx">http://lists.debian.org/20120819005633.GB4285@yapaque.fis.unam.mx
 
Old 09-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

# hardware support
severity 684240 important
quit

Hi Luis,

In August, Luis Mochan wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 03:38:03AM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> Does blacklisting both nvidia and nouveau work?
>
> I haven't tried yet.
>
>> Can you say a little more about how nouveau makes your laptop
>> video useless (preferably with logs, e.g. if you can ssh in)? That
>> would be another, important bug.
>
> The screen appears black, with some blinking gray lines. I'll post
> more details when I try again.

Thanks, and sorry for the slow reply. Did you get a chance to try
this? I think the most straightforward way to fix this bug would be
to get nouveau working with your card, so I'd be interested in
pursuing that.

Results from testing nouveau with the 3.5.y kernel from experimental
would be interesting as well.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120930001601.GA13340@elie.Belkin
 
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Luis Mochan
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

Hi Jonathan,
> >> Does blacklisting both nvidia and nouveau work?
> > I haven't tried yet.
> >...
> > The screen appears black, with some blinking gray lines. I'll post
> > more details when I try again.
>
> Thanks, and sorry for the slow reply. Did you get a chance to try
> this?
Sorry for the slow action. I have not tried again to blacklist neither
nvidia nor noveau. I'm not completely sure how to do it and have not
found the time to read and experiment.
> I think the most straightforward way to fix this bug would be
> to get nouveau working with your card, so I'd be interested in
> pursuing that.
Thanks for your interest; it motivates me to try again. My system is
debian/testing. Can you suggest which steps must be taken to blacklist
both drivers (and which steps to re-enable them, in case I have to
revert to the current working but non-ideal situation).
> Results from testing nouveau with the 3.5.y kernel from experimental
> would be interesting as well.
I would also require directions or pointers on how to install from
experimental. I usually employ 'aptitude'.
Best regards,
Luis


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20121002020516.GH8157@em.fis.unam.mx">http://lists.debian.org/20121002020516.GH8157@em.fis.unam.mx
 
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

Luis Mochan wrote:

> Sorry for the slow action. I have not tried again to blacklist neither
> nvidia nor noveau. I'm not completely sure how to do it and have not
> found the time to read and experiment.

No problem --- we have time.

Here's how I would suggest blacklisting the drivers:

echo blacklist nouveau >/etc/modprobe.d/ls-blacklist-gpu-drivers.conf
echo blacklist nvidia >>/etc/modprobe.d/ls-blacklist-gpu-drivers.conf

Then choose "recovery mode" from the boot menu so X doesn't
automatically start. This should get you to a console. You can
check your work using lsmod.

Then remove the /etc/modprobe.d/ls-blacklist-gpu-drivers.conf file
to return to the previous configuration.

If you want to load one of the drivers for a single boot, the simplest
way is to modprobe it directly.

>> Results from testing nouveau with the 3.5.y kernel from experimental
>> would be interesting as well.
>
> I would also require directions or pointers on how to install from
> experimental. I usually employ 'aptitude'.

Add a line for experimental to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ experimental main

Packages won't be installed from there automatically. To install
a particular package, pass "-t experimental" to aptitude:

aptitude update
aptitude -t experimental install linux-image-3.5-686-pae

Thanks,
Jonathan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121009210952.GF3993@elie.Belkin
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Luis Mochan
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

Dear Jonathan,
Thanks again for your interest and patience.
> Here's how I would suggest blacklisting the drivers:
> echo blacklist nouveau >/etc/modprobe.d/ls-blacklist-gpu-drivers.conf
> echo blacklist nvidia >>/etc/modprobe.d/ls-blacklist-gpu-drivers.conf
> Then choose "recovery mode" from the boot menu so X doesn't
> automatically start. This should get you to a console. You can
> check your work using lsmod.
If I don't blacklist nouveau, the screen becomes dark gray and the
computer seems not to respond, so I had to reboot into a live CD to
blacklist both drivers, as you suggest, in order to get a working
console. I checked with lsmod that neither driver was
installed. Furthermore, I didn't get the usual 'nvidia driver taints
kernel' message on startup. Nevertheless, when X was started (after I
logged off of single user mode), the nvidia startup screen was
displayed and the nvidia driver was loaded.
$ lsmod|grep nvidia
nvidia 10183049 43
i2c_core 19116 2 i2c_i801,nvidia
Thus, I guess that the blacklist mechanism doesn't inhibit X from
loading nvidia.

I found I had another file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-common.conf
with contents:
alias char-major-195* nvidia
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=44 NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660
# To enable FastWrites and Sidebus addressing, uncomment these lines
# options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1
# options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

# see #580894
blacklist nouveau
I renamed it to /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-common.confold to get it
out of the way, but I didn't notice any change. I don't know if it is
better to keep that file as it was or to remove it. I checked the /dev
directory:
$ ls -l /dev/|grep nvidia
crw-rw-rw-+ 1 root root 195, 0 Oct 9 19:57 nvidia0
crw-rw-rw-+ 1 root root 195, 255 Oct 9 19:57 nvidiactl
Also, I don't know if I should keep my current configuration
(blacklisting nvidia and nouveau) or if I should return to the previous one.

Anyway, my problem (the laptop fails to shut off) seems to have been
solved with the last nvidia upgrade of debian/testing. I still have some other
problems like an occasional black screen after suspend/resume.

As you see, there are many things I don't understand, but I'm very
grateful for your advice.

Best regards,
Luis



>
> Then remove the /etc/modprobe.d/ls-blacklist-gpu-drivers.conf file
> to return to the previous configuration.
>
> If you want to load one of the drivers for a single boot, the simplest
> way is to modprobe it directly.
>
> >> Results from testing nouveau with the 3.5.y kernel from experimental
> >> would be interesting as well.
> >
> > I would also require directions or pointers on how to install from
> > experimental. I usually employ 'aptitude'.
>
> Add a line for experimental to /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ experimental main
>
> Packages won't be installed from there automatically. To install
> a particular package, pass "-t experimental" to aptitude:
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude -t experimental install linux-image-3.5-686-pae
>
> Thanks,

--

o
W. Luis Mochán, | tel52)(777)329-1734 /<(*)
Instituto de Ciencias Físicas, UNAM | fax52)(777)317-5388 `>/ /
Apdo. Postal 48-3, 62251 | (*)//
Cuernavaca, Morelos, México | mochan@fis.unam.mx /\_/\__/

O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20121010013026.GA4142@fmunu.fis.unam.mx">http://lists.debian.org/20121010013026.GA4142@fmunu.fis.unam.mx
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

Luis Mochan wrote:

> I checked with lsmod that neither driver was
> installed. Furthermore, I didn't get the usual 'nvidia driver taints
> kernel' message on startup. Nevertheless, when X was started (after I
> logged off of single user mode), the nvidia startup screen was
> displayed and the nvidia driver was loaded.

Yes. To start X with the nouveau driver:

1. Run "update-alternatives --config glx" and choose "mesa".
(Both nvidia and nouveau should be able to cope with the mesa
glx implementation.)

2. Install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.

3. Move /etc/X11/xorg.conf temporarily out of the way.

To restore your old settings, move /etc/X11/xorg.conf back into place
and run "update-alternatives --config glx" again.

[...]
> Anyway, my problem (the laptop fails to shut off) seems to have been
> solved with the last nvidia upgrade of debian/testing.

Good to hear.

> I still have some other
> problems like an occasional black screen after suspend/resume.

I'd still be interested in seeing how well we can get nouveau to work.
Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,
Jonathan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121010014402.GA8204@elie.Belkin
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Luis Mochan
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

I followed your instructions. The score is 3-7. X failed to start and
I had to reboot. Then it seemed to work nicely. I tried to suspend the
machine with no success and had to reboot. Then it failed to start
again, so I rebooted and it started nicely. Another reboot and it
failed... The pattern seems to be that when X starts a few thin colored
lines are displayed for a short time and then either the screen turns
black and soon afterwards the small 'waiting' rotating icon
appears. That means success. Otherwise, the screen becomes dark blue-gray
and a thin horizontal blinking-jumping line cursor appears at the left side of
the screen somewhat below the center. That means failure. It seems
that in this case many attempts are made, the disk seems to be quite
active and hundreds of logfiles are produced. Would you care to
receive any?
Best regards,
Luis


On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 06:44:14PM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> ...
> Yes. To start X with the nouveau driver:
>
> 1. Run "update-alternatives --config glx" and choose "mesa".
> (Both nvidia and nouveau should be able to cope with the mesa
> glx implementation.)
>
> 2. Install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.
>
> 3. Move /etc/X11/xorg.conf temporarily out of the way.
>
> To restore your old settings, move /etc/X11/xorg.conf back into place
> and run "update-alternatives --config glx" again.
>
> [...]
> > Anyway, my problem (the laptop fails to shut off) seems to have been
> > solved with the last nvidia upgrade of debian/testing.
>
> Good to hear.
>
> > I still have some other
> > problems like an occasional black screen after suspend/resume.
>
> I'd still be interested in seeing how well we can get nouveau to work.
> Thanks for your patience.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jonathan

--

o
W. Luis Mochán, | tel52)(777)329-1734 /<(*)
Instituto de Ciencias Físicas, UNAM | fax52)(777)317-5388 `>/ /
Apdo. Postal 48-3, 62251 | (*)//
Cuernavaca, Morelos, México | mochan@fis.unam.mx /\_/\__/

O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20121010024652.GB7290@em.fis.unam.mx">http://lists.debian.org/20121010024652.GB7290@em.fis.unam.mx
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

Luis Mochan wrote:

> I followed your instructions. The score is 3-7. X failed to start and
> I had to reboot.

Thanks. Let's start there. What is the failure like --- does it
return you to the console? If it's possible to access the machine
after the failure (through the console or through "ssh" from another
machine), then full "dmesg" output and the content of
/var/log/Xorg.0.log after X fails to start would be very useful.

Jonathan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121010025623.GB8204@elie.Belkin
 
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#684240: lenovo t61 laptop fails to shutdown

Hi again,

Luis Mochan wrote:

> but I guess that a previous /var/log/Xorg.n.log and the
> /var/log/messages of my last failed sessions might help, so I am
> attaching some of them. As I wrote, several Xorg.n.log files are
> generated one after the other.

That is probably gdm restarting X after X fails to start. Let's see
what the logs say.

[...]
> [ 297.964] (II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.4
> [ 297.964] (II) [drm] DRM open master succeeded.
> [ 297.964] (--) NOUVEAU(0): Chipset: "NVIDIA NV86"

Sven has the same chipset, I think. It was supposed to work well at
least in the past.

[...]
> [ 299.012] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output LVDS-1 disconnected
> [ 299.012] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 disconnected
> [ 299.012] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output DVI-D-1 disconnected
> [ 299.012] (WW) NOUVEAU(0): Unable to find connected outputs - setting 1024x768 initial framebuffer
[...]
> [ 307.870] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID vendor "LEN", prod id 16435
> [ 307.870] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
> [ 307.870] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 96.50 1440 1522 1576 1706 900 905 914 943 -hsync -vsync (56.6 kHz eP)
> [ 307.870] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 80.44 1440 1522 1576 1706 900 905 914 943 -hsync -vsync (47.2 kHz e)
> [ 319.631] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID vendor "LEN", prod id 16435
> [ 319.631] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
> [ 319.631] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 96.50 1440 1522 1576 1706 900 905 914 943 -hsync -vsync (56.6 kHz eP)
> [ 319.631] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 80.44 1440 1522 1576 1706 900 905 914 943 -hsync -vsync (47.2 kHz e)
> [ 323.502] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID vendor "LEN", prod id 16435
> [ 323.502] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
> [ 323.502] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 96.50 1440 1522 1576 1706 900 905 914 943 -hsync -vsync (56.6 kHz eP)
> [ 323.502] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 80.44 1440 1522 1576 1706 900 905 914 943 -hsync -vsync (47.2 kHz e)
[EOF]

I guess X died at this point.

[...]
> [ 0.158245] ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it
[...]
> [ 0.302907] pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 6: can't assign mem pref (size 0x20000)

Hm. A log with CONFIG_PCI_DEBUG enabled might tell more.

[...]
> [ 3.012903] uvesafb: NVIDIA Corporation, G86 Board - NV_NB8M , Chip Rev , OEM: NVIDIA, VBE v3.0

Not sure why uvesafb is claiming the display instead of nouveaufb. It
also could be interesting to try blacklisting uvesafb.

I forgot to mention before: you can run "update-initramfs -u -k
$(uname -r)" after any change to /etc/modprobe.d to allow the change
to take effect before the root filesystem is mounted.

[...]
> [ 32.791117] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Detected an NV50 generation card (0x086900a2)
[...]
> [ 32.859358] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Bios version 60.86.3e.00
[...]
> [ 33.106970] [drm] Initialized nouveau 1.0.0 20120316 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0

Good.

[...]
> [ 36.586580] vboxdrv: fAsync=1 offMin=0x12d998 offMax=0x12d998

If it's possible to test without the virtualbox drivers in the
future, that would be useful (and it's a prerequisites for taking this
upstream).

[...]
> [ 86.134478] gnome-settings-[3737]: segfault at 40 ip adbc96e0 sp bfb1312c error 4 in libmouse.so[adbc7000+9000]

Looks like <http://bugs.debian.org/675763>, probably unrelated.

[...]
> [ 369.440076] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: VM: trapped read at 0x00014d0908 on ch 0 [0x00000058] BAR/PFIFO_READ/IN reason: PAGE_NOT_PRESENT
> [ 489.672946] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: VM: trapped read at 0x00015e026c on ch 0 [0x00000058] BAR/PFIFO_READ/IN reason: PAGE_NOT_PRESENT
> [ 557.050120] iwl4965 0000:03:00.0: iwl4965_tx_agg_start on ra = 90:f6:52:57:d7:06 tid = 0
> [ 592.778680] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: VM: trapped read at 0x00013b8fb8 on ch 0 [0x00000058] BAR/PFIFO_READ/IN reason: PAGE_NOT_PRESENT

Fallout from the incomplete PCI setup, perhaps.

Do you also have "dmesg" output from a successful boot with the
nouveau driver, for comparison?

After that, what would be most helpful is to see how the kernel from
experimental does, since there have been plenty of changes to nouveau
and the PCI subsystem. If it is also broken, we can take this
upstream.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

Jonathan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121011000429.GH4517@elie.Belkin
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org