Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Adam NEVERT

Default mc_forwarding

I received no anwsers, it was not the appropriate mailing list for
my question ?

Hello,

I want to enable this option net.ipv4.conf.all.mc_forwarding
because I want to forward wake on lan udp packet to my broadcast
address. I tried :

sysctl -w*
net.ipv4.conf.all.mc_forwarding=1

error: permission denied on key
'net.ipv4.conf.all.mc_forwarding'

Is it possible to achieve what I want ? Other proposals ?

Thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Sun, 2012-08-05 at 02:40 +0200, Adam NEVERT wrote:
> I received no anwsers, it was not the appropriate mailing list for my
> question ?

debian-user might be appropriate.

> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to enable this option net.ipv4.conf.all.mc_forwarding because
> > I want to forward wake on lan udp packet to my broadcast address. I
> > tried :
> > sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.mc_forwarding=1
> > error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.conf.all.mc_forwarding'
> >
> > Is it possible to achieve what I want ? Other proposals ?

This sysctl is defined as read-only. You need to run something like
mrouted to set up multicast routing.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 08-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Adam NEVERT

Ok I'll directly see on the website of mrouted to know how to configure it.

But a last question for information, I read on the internet that
recompiling the kernel with particular options could allow the kernel to
manage multicast forwarding is it correct ? If it is correct why was it
decided to not add it to the debian linux kernel ?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Sun, 2012-08-05 at 05:14 +0200, Adam NEVERT wrote:
> Ok I'll directly see on the website of mrouted to know how to configure it.
>
> But a last question for information, I read on the internet that
> recompiling the kernel with particular options could allow the kernel to
> manage multicast forwarding is it correct ? If it is correct why was it
> decided to not add it to the debian linux kernel ?

There is an option to enable multicast routing, which is enabled. But
you still need the userspace routing daemon to configure it, as it's
more complicated than just flicking a switch.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings