Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Default Preparation for d-i beta 1

Hi folks,

as you may know, nobody else stepped up, so I'm volunteering again to
try and get a new debian-installer release out, codenamed « beta 1 ».

I have looked at the packages mentioned on the udeb testing summary
page[1] and I have “urgented” many of them, so that they reach testing
sooner than the required 10 days. My hints file[2] list those, which I
tried to keep under two categories: l10n-only, and other changes
(code/packaging), so that one can easily determine guilty packages if
regressions are found.

1. http://d-i.debian.org/testing-summary.html
2. http://release.debian.org/britney/hints/kibi

After tonight's britney run (22:00 UTC), the remaining packages should
be:
- those who are RC-buggy (e.g. libusb);
- those with missing builds; mostly because they were uploaded lately,
and they are not built everywhere yet (e.g. recent l10n updates);
- a special case for that last category: the linux kernel, with its
bumped ABI.

Questions:
A. if we build a debian-installer package against the old linux kernel
ABI, and then images with that debian-installer, will the installer
be able to install a kernel with the old ABI to begin with, *and* a
kernel with the new ABI in a few days when it reaches testing? Or
will the images be broken when that happens? (added debian-kernel to
Cc accordingly).

B. I'm pondering asking the release team to put back into place the
“block-udeb” hints, so that one can make sure candidates for testing
are only allowed into testing after review. The wheezy freeze is
going to start with a freeze exception for what's in unstable at
this point, so it looks like retaining some bits of control would be
nice. Any drawback?

C. debian-live: do you need to be in the loop for debian-installer
alpha/beta/rc releases?

If the answer to (A) is OK with old/new kernel, I think I'll prepare a
debian-installer package in the upcoming hours (or days, depending on
the remaining migrations), and perform some tests, then probably ask
debian-cd to prepare some prospective images.

If there's any volunteer which would be kind enough to start building a
wiki page with the changes between alpha 1 and beta 1, that would be
super nice. I'm not sure whether we have nice tools for this, I guess
we would need to find changes involving the initramfs, but also major
changes outside. Pointers welcome.

If you have any comment on the process, any pending changes (you would
like to have in beta 1) left, I'm all ears, but the clock's ticking.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Julien Cristau

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 23:54:18 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> Questions:
> A. if we build a debian-installer package against the old linux kernel
> ABI, and then images with that debian-installer, will the installer
> be able to install a kernel with the old ABI to begin with, *and* a
> kernel with the new ABI in a few days when it reaches testing? Or
> will the images be broken when that happens? (added debian-kernel to
> Cc accordingly).

The netboot and businesscard at least will be broken, AIUI, because they
get udebs from the network and those need to match the d-i kernel. OTOH
they'll probably be broken by non-ABI-changing kernel changes anyway, so
maybe that doesn't matter. For the other images I don't believe there
should be a problem, as they already include the appropriate module
udebs and install the final kernel through the linux-image-foo
metapackages.

Cheers,
Julien

Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> (25/06/2012):
> > Questions:
> > A. if we build a debian-installer package against the old linux kernel
> > ABI, and then images with that debian-installer, will the installer
> > be able to install a kernel with the old ABI to begin with, *and* a
> > kernel with the new ABI in a few days when it reaches testing? Or
> > will the images be broken when that happens? (added debian-kernel to
> > Cc accordingly).
> >
> The netboot and businesscard at least will be broken, AIUI, because they
> get udebs from the network and those need to match the d-i kernel. OTOH
> they'll probably be broken by non-ABI-changing kernel changes anyway, so
> maybe that doesn't matter. For the other images I don't believe there
> should be a problem, as they already include the appropriate module
> udebs and install the final kernel through the linux-image-foo
> metapackages.

Thanks for your feedback.

Here's my current plan:
- build/upload debian-installer after tonight's britney and following
dinstall runs.
- ask the release team to freeze all udeb-producing packages, so that
we can retain control over what goes in from this point on.
- check for failures on the buildds, fix them.
- wait for the kernel to be ready/to migrate to testing.
- upload a new debian-installer pulling that kernel's udebs.
- coordinate with debian-cd for images.
- call for tests.
- do some steps again if there are big failures.
- release beta 1 otherwise.

We still need to arrange something about the release announce. Any
takers?

TL;DR:
- 1st d-i upload less than 12 hours from now.
- udeb freeze.
- 2nd upload when the kernel is ready, hopefully some time next week.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (25/06/2012):
> TL;DR:
> - 1st d-i upload less than 12 hours from now.

debian-installer was uploaded earlier today.

> - udeb freeze.

debian-release, please put that back into place. Thanks already!

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On 26.06.2012 16:35, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (25/06/2012):

- udeb freeze.

debian-release, please put that back into place. Thanks already!

Done.

As discussed, I've enabled all of the blocks, including those in the
"can be handled by britney" category. If people moan, I'll know where
to point them. ;-)

Regards,

Adam

Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 05:07:50PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On 26.06.2012 16:35, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> >Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (25/06/2012):
> >> - udeb freeze.
> >
> >debian-release, please put that back into place. Thanks already!
>
> Done.
>
> As discussed, I've enabled all of the blocks, including those in the
> "can be handled by britney" category. If people moan, I'll know
> where to point them. ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam

So presumably there will be no testing migration of linux until after
d-i beta 1? I'm just wondering whether it's worth uploading right now
to fix the sparc FTBFS or whether this should be left until we have
other substantial changes.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 17:59 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 05:07:50PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On 26.06.2012 16:35, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > >Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (25/06/2012):
> > >
> > >debian-release, please put that back into place. Thanks already!
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > As discussed, I've enabled all of the blocks, including those in the
> > "can be handled by britney" category. If people moan, I'll know
> > where to point them. ;-)
[...]
> So presumably there will be no testing migration of linux until after
> d-i beta 1? I'm just wondering whether it's worth uploading right now
> to fix the sparc FTBFS or whether this should be left until we have
> other substantial changes.

[mentioned on IRC, but for the record] The grand plan[tm] for beta1
includes a kernel migration, so having it build everywhere soon would be
appreciated :-)

Regards,

Adam

Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (25/06/2012):
> - 1st d-i upload less than 12 hours from now.
> - udeb freeze.

Done.

> - 2nd upload when the kernel is ready, hopefully some time next week.

I have to review a few packages we might want to get into testing soon,
that should happen during this weekend.

As for the kernel, linux can't migrate on its own, packages would become
uninstallable. linux-latest is needed but is missing its s390 build
(hence the poke on IRC and the extra Cc now).

I've checked with force/force-hint that there shouldn't be any other
issues once linux-latest is a candidate.

Once the kernel is in testing and other udebs unblocked, there should be
a new debian-installer upload early next week, which might become beta1.

Mraw,
KiBi.