Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Ben Hutchings

Default Can I 'fool' the uname command??

In general, you can 'fool' the uname command (with LD_PRELOAD) but it
probably won't solve the problem.

On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 12:40 -0400, Glen Millard wrote:
> Okay - I am attempting to compile on a shared (virtual host) machine
>
> When I use the uname -a command, it displays the following:
>
> Linux ps91497 3.1.9-vs2.3.2.5 #1 SMP Thu Jan 26 02:37:05 UTC 2012
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> /usr/src/linux-source-3.2 is where I downloaded the sources:
[...]
> So, to build this software package that I need - I need to convince
> the compiler that these are my kernel sources.
[...]

What does it need from the kernel source? You certainly can't build a
useful kernel module this way (nor would you be permitted to load it
anyway).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I'm always amazed by the number of people who take up solipsism because

Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Ben Hutchings

Reply to all (or to the list), not just to me.

On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 14:24 -0400, Glen Millard wrote:
> Okay - any other suggestions?

Well you could answer my question:

I wrote:

> What does it need from the kernel source? You certainly can't build a
> useful kernel module this way (nor would you be permitted to load it
> anyway).

Ben.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Glen Millard

Sorry - my mistake.
I need to build Vicidial installation on a Dreamhost server.
root@ps91497:/usr/local/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.3.0.1+2.3.0# makemake -C linux all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.3.0.1+2.3.0/linux'make -C drivers/dahdi/firmware firmware-loadersmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.3.0.1+2.3.0/linux/drivers/dahdi/firmware'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.3.0.1+2.3.0/linux/drivers/dahdi/firmware'You do not appear to have the sources for the 3.1.9-vs2.3.2.5 kernel installed.make[1]: *** [modules] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.3.0.1+2.3.0/linux'make: *** [all] Error 2root@ps91497:/usr/local/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.3.0.1+2.3.0#

So, the Makefile is looking for the kernel sources/headers and since it is a virtual host, I had to grab some headers/sources to build*dependent*software.
This seems to be more trouble - I am going to dig and see if there are some binaries that I can download.

If this doesn't work, I think I am going to build it all on a local VM and tweak it to run on my Dreamhost machine.
That may be the route I need to take - would rather do it all in one place, but that may not happen.

Glen

I wrote:

> What does it need from the kernel source? *You certainly can't build a

> useful kernel module this way (nor would you be permitted to load it

> anyway).

Ben.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 18:09 -0400, Glen Millard wrote:
> Sorry - my mistake.
>

> I need to build Vicidial installation on a Dreamhost server.
>
> root@ps91497:/usr/local/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.3.0.1+2.3.0# make

But here you're trying to build the DAHDI drivers, which I think must be
optional (and certainly you're not going to be using them on a virtual
server). So why don't you just skip that step?

[...]
> If this doesn't work, I think I am going to build it all on a local VM
> and tweak it to run on my Dreamhost machine.
>

> That may be the route I need to take - would rather do it all in one
> place, but that may not happen.

Really that is probably a more sensible thing to do.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction.