Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Gian Paolo Mureddu

Default revised f9 wallpaper

Máirín Duffy escribió:

Máirín Duffy wrote:
That would be awesome! Give me maybe 45 minutes to clean it up and
I'll send it here. One thing though, when working with this file
you've gotta put it in outline mode otherwise the blurs will slow
your machine to a halt. Also, I've been rendering the bitmaps on the
command line, eg:

inkscape --without-gui --export-png=0003b.png 0003.svg

Um, okay so that took way more than 45 minutes... sorry!!!! but I've
been playing with it a lot and think it's getting better. I added some
bubbles & sparkles and mucked with the ripples such that they match
the rest of the artwork a little better and look a little bit more
natural. Here's the mock so far:

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f9wallpaper/sparkles-6_test.png

The source files (these will be changing as I play around):

- http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f9wallpaper/0008.svg - this is
the main background without sparkles; this one you will not be able to
work with unless you go into view >outlines mode.

- http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f9wallpaper/sparkles-6.svg - this
is the bitmap output of the 0008.svg file on one layer with vector
sparkles, etc on top.

~m

Wow! These look *REALLY* nice with the added stars and "sparkling".

Old 04-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Michael Beckwith

I really want to know how you can crank out such good stuff so fast. I
am envious. I approve of these replacing what we had.

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Máirín Duffy wrote:
Um, okay so that took way more than 45 minutes... sorry!!!! but I've
been playing with it a lot and think it's getting better. I added
some bubbles & sparkles and mucked with the ripples such that they
match the rest of the artwork a little better and look a little bit
more natural. Here's the mock so far:

And here's this graphic done out for 4 times of day:

http://people.redhat.com/duffy/misc/f9-day-to-night/

(used some simple gimp manipulation - using the levels tool - to
produce each variation)

What do you think?

~m

~Michael
http://ridleytx.structed.net (for now)
http://michaelbox.net (eventually)

Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 01:19 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > Um, okay so that took way more than 45 minutes... sorry!!!! but I've
> > been playing with it a lot and think it's getting better. I added some
> > bubbles & sparkles and mucked with the ripples such that they match the
> > rest of the artwork a little better and look a little bit more natural.
> > Here's the mock so far:
>
> And here's this graphic done out for 4 times of day:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/duffy/misc/f9-day-to-night/
>
> (used some simple gimp manipulation - using the levels tool - to produce
> each variation)
>
> What do you think?
>
> ~m

These are great, the only thing I don't like there are the star-shaped
sparkles, it feels like they does not fit there... I'd stay with bubbles
only.

Martin

Old 04-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Ian Weller

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Máirín Duffy wrote:

Máirín Duffy wrote:
Um, okay so that took way more than 45 minutes... sorry!!!! but I've
been playing with it a lot and think it's getting better. I added some
bubbles & sparkles and mucked with the ripples such that they match the
rest of the artwork a little better and look a little bit more natural.
Here's the mock so far:

And here's this graphic done out for 4 times of day:

http://people.redhat.com/duffy/misc/f9-day-to-night/

(used some simple gimp manipulation - using the levels tool - to produce
each variation)

What do you think?

How do you do this so fast?

+1 for using these. I see no problems. -- ian_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com

Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Nicu Buculei

Máirín Duffy wrote:

I've received a few complaints about the f9 wallpaper (it seems the
sulphur is really unpopular) and I've been experimenting with
alternative designs for it but trying to keep the same look and feel of
the rest of the artwork.

I saw my share of complaints too, both on my blog and on fedoraforum,
interesting how those complains happened only after Round 3.

However, and *someone* has to say this, I am concerned about the mixed
message we are sending around, I will serve a quote I just read (I was
offline over the week-end, so I saw it at about the same time with this
thread, even it is a couple of days older), I think you will find this
quote familiar:

"As I said earlier (if anyone disagrees please speak up, maybe I am
alone in this) I think it's far too late in the F9 process to start
changing the graphics - we've already completed all of the core graphics
for F9 and had them checked into rawhide. This week was the devel freeze
for F9 IIRC and it will already be a scramble to get revisions into what
we have in as we get feedback on it. To bring a new idea/concept into
what we already have I think is too disruptive at this point in the
release process, but refinements on the current designs are certainly
welcomed."

This is one of the ideas I've been working with -
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/0001.png

Do you think it's a good direction? Do you have ideas on how to bling it
up?

Too bad I was offline and had no chance to speak earlier (all the /temp/
images are gone by now). The version you have blogged about is nice, it
have a similar "soft" feeling with Infinity, so I expect people who
liked Infinity would like it too.
As for the particular implementation, what is the plan for the
wide-screen option, add on the edges or just cut from the bottom? (that
would work too)

Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Máirín Duffy a écrit :

> The source files (these will be changing as I play around):
>
> - http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f9wallpaper/0008.svg - this is
> the main background without sparkles; this one you will not be able to
> work with unless you go into view >outlines mode.
>
> - http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f9wallpaper/sparkles-6.svg - this
> is the bitmap output of the 0008.svg file on one layer with vector
> sparkles, etc on top.

I have completed the initial set without sparkles background. The goal
is to get some feedback
and modifications are welcome.

http://luya.fedorapeople.org/images/waves

The sparkles are suitable for the sunset and night background.
Unfortunately, importing the sparkles background resulted a broken link
when exporting the svg to png.

Luya

Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
"Jóhann B. Guđmundsson"

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Máirín Duffy wrote:
Um, okay so that took way more than 45 minutes... sorry!!!! but I've
been playing with it a lot and think it's getting better. I added
some bubbles & sparkles and mucked with the ripples such that they
match the rest of the artwork a little better and look a little bit
more natural. Here's the mock so far:

And here's this graphic done out for 4 times of day:

http://people.redhat.com/duffy/misc/f9-day-to-night/

(used some simple gimp manipulation - using the levels tool - to
produce each variation)

What do you think?

~m

+1 beautiful..

A whole new level of *Depth*...'

Br,
Johann.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Máirín Duffy

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Máirín Duffy wrote:

I've received a few complaints about the f9 wallpaper (it seems the
sulphur is really unpopular) and I've been experimenting with
alternative designs for it but trying to keep the same look and feel
of the rest of the artwork.

I saw my share of complaints too, both on my blog and on fedoraforum,
interesting how those complains happened only after Round 3.

Well probably the round 3 graphics getting checked into rawhide was a
big part of it.

[...]

These are *not* completely changing the design and are made specifically
to match the rest of the artwork that is already finished - the waves
are the same as from the RHGB graphic. This revision is more similar to
the infinity work we did during round 3 of F8 when we were working with
the bridge graphic and based on feedback we shifted to a different form.
This is not a new idea or concept. It's the same radiating waves we've had.

The whole point of the process, eg getting round 3 into rawhide, RC,
etc. is to get feedback as we go along and make changes and updates in
accordance with the feedback so we get high-quality, iterated artwork.
This is different than completely changing the main graphics involved
with the theme and having to re-do every graphic associated with it
(something I've no time nor inclination to do and I haven't seen anyone
else attempt to do either.) This is different than proposing something
new far after the round 1 deadline which would be completely unfair to
the folks who did propose by that deadline and were eventually
eliminated. This is working within the style and theme that had already
went through the process. *That* would have been breaking the process
and sending a very bad mixed message.

While I understand your point, I also think this is quite different,
what do you think?

This is one of the ideas I've been working with -
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/0001.png

Do you think it's a good direction? Do you have ideas on how to bling
it up?

Too bad I was offline and had no chance to speak earlier (all the /temp/
images are gone by now).

It's under duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f9graphics or something like
that. I have no room left in my fedora people page and I was shifting
things around to try to make room

The version you have blogged about is nice, it
have a similar "soft" feeling with Infinity, so I expect people who
liked Infinity would like it too.
As for the particular implementation, what is the plan for the
wide-screen option, add on the edges or just cut from the bottom? (that
would work too)

I was going to cut from the bottom, I made a huge render last night that
I'm going to use to make all the various sizes.

~m

Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Máirín Duffy

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

Máirín Duffy a écrit :

The source files (these will be changing as I play around):

- http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f9wallpaper/0008.svg - this is
the main background without sparkles; this one you will not be able to
work with unless you go into view >outlines mode.

- http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f9wallpaper/sparkles-6.svg - this
is the bitmap output of the 0008.svg file on one layer with vector
sparkles, etc on top.

I have completed the initial set without sparkles background. The goal
is to get some feedback
and modifications are welcome.

http://luya.fedorapeople.org/images/waves

The sparkles are suitable for the sunset and night background.
Unfortunately, importing the sparkles background resulted a broken link
when exporting the svg to png.

Yeh, I didn't embed the bitmap because I knew it was made with a stale
render. If you open up the 0008.svg and re-render it and import that as
the background it will work.

~m

Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Mark

2008/4/7, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
> > Um, okay so that took way more than 45 minutes... sorry!!!! but I've been
> playing with it a lot and think it's getting better. I added some bubbles &
> sparkles and mucked with the ripples such that they match the rest of the
> artwork a little better and look a little bit more natural. Here's the mock
> so far:
> >

> And here's this graphic done out for 4 times of day:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/duffy/misc/f9-day-to-night/
>
> (used some simple gimp manipulation - using the levels tool - to produce
> each variation)
>
> What do you think?

WOW extremely nice!!
Can you make some widescreens as well?