Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default revised f9 wallpaper

Martin Sourada wrote:

Looks good! The only thing I miss there are the reflections... ;-) Only
one thing bugs me, devel freeze is very near, we are way after the round
3 freeze... Are we going to make it in time?

Yeh the freeze is Tuesday. I'm going to be trying very hard to get this
prepared for then.

~m

Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hey Luya,

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

It looks like a underwater view of the wave. I think these wave needs to
be dynamic i.e spreading toward. It will be also an opportunity to take
advantage of the script Matthias created from Fedora 7 where the wave
varies weekly. The effects should be subtle. Máirín, do you have the
svg version? I will give a try tonight.

That would be awesome! Give me maybe 45 minutes to clean it up and I'll
send it here. One thing though, when working with this file you've gotta
put it in outline mode otherwise the blurs will slow your machine to a
halt. Also, I've been rendering the bitmaps on the command line, eg:

inkscape --without-gui --export-png=0003b.png 0003.svg

~m

Old 04-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Hey Luya,

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

It looks like a underwater view of the wave. I think these wave needs to
be dynamic i.e spreading toward. It will be also an opportunity to take
advantage of the script Matthias created from Fedora 7 where the wave
varies weekly. The effects should be subtle. Máirín, do you have the
svg version? I will give a try tonight.

That would be awesome! Give me maybe 45 minutes to clean it up and I'll
send it here. One thing though, when working with this file you've gotta
put it in outline mode otherwise the blurs will slow your machine to a
halt. Also, I've been rendering the bitmaps on the command line, eg:

inkscape --without-gui --export-png=0003b.png 0003.svg

Of note is the fact that the new GDM loads up the default desktop
wallpaper and it seems that a fancy wallpaper with animations and
effects would really slow down the GDM load time which is not a nice
user experience since the whole system feels slow at that point. If my
guess is right, keeping the wallpaper very simple is the way to go.

Rahul

Old 04-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Máirín Duffy

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Hey Luya,

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

[...]

When I'm talking about this wallpaper being slow in Inkscape, I mean in
Inkscape only. The rendered bitmap will in no way slow GDM down.

~m

Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Matthias Clasen

> Of note is the fact that the new GDM loads up the default desktop
> wallpaper and it seems that a fancy wallpaper with animations and
> effects would really slow down the GDM load time which is not a nice
> user experience since the whole system feels slow at that point. If my
> guess is right, keeping the wallpaper very simple is the way to go.

Animated backgrounds should not be significantly slower at initial

Old 04-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Matthias Clasen wrote:

Of note is the fact that the new GDM loads up the default desktop
wallpaper and it seems that a fancy wallpaper with animations and
effects would really slow down the GDM load time which is not a nice
user experience since the whole system feels slow at that point. If my
guess is right, keeping the wallpaper very simple is the way to go.

Animated backgrounds should not be significantly slower at initial

(somewhat OT)

I haven't really run any benchmarks or anything but the new GDM does
seem to load slower on a few systems I am running rawhide on including
this laptop. If you need any more information that can help fix it, let
me know.

Rahul

Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Matthias Clasen

> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 02:48 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> >> Of note is the fact that the new GDM loads up the default desktop
> >> wallpaper and it seems that a fancy wallpaper with animations and
> >> effects would really slow down the GDM load time which is not a nice
> >> user experience since the whole system feels slow at that point. If my
> >> guess is right, keeping the wallpaper very simple is the way to go.
> >
> > Animated backgrounds should not be significantly slower at initial
>
> (somewhat OT)
>
> I haven't really run any benchmarks or anything but the new GDM does
> seem to load slower on a few systems I am running rawhide on including
> this laptop. If you need any more information that can help fix it, let
> me know.

It is a known problem, see discussion on the gdm list a while ago. But
it has nothing to do with backgrounds.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Gian Paolo Mureddu

Máirín Duffy escribió: