FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM
David Baron
 
Default Bug#660983: Licensed Symbol Conflicts with Some Non-GPL Modules

Package: linux-2.6
Version: 3.2.1-rt
Severity: normal

--- Please enter the report below this line. ---
First: Great news--now have officital rt-preemptive kernels.

A recurring problem with patched or debug kernels concerns gpl-only symbol
names preventing non-gpl modules from building or running. Current case
involves "migrate_enable" which blocks the nvidia module from building (using
dkms). There may be others since those using the rt kernels are usually
involved with multimedia and will be more likely to be using non-gpl software.

This renders the new kernels unusable in such cases, Manual work-arounds will
be illegal or quasi-legal at best.

--- System information. ---
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux 3.1.0-1-686-pae

Debian Release: wheezy/sid
500 unstable ftp.us.debian.org
500 testing ftp.us.debian.org
1 experimental ftp.us.debian.org

--- Package information. ---
Package's Depends field is empty.

Package's Recommends field is empty.

Package's Suggests field is empty.






--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201202231239.41952.d_baron@012.net.il">http://lists.debian.org/201202231239.41952.d_baron@012.net.il
 
Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#660983: Licensed Symbol Conflicts with Some Non-GPL Modules

David Baron wrote:

> Most of the discussion of the -rt seems to be amount linux-audio-users and
> such. I am not in touch with NC or process control but these will want it
> also. I believe that they would also be involved with non-gpl software.

Sorry to have veered so far off-topic. I believe many -rt
applications have programs in userspace talking to hardware (for
example using a serial port).

[...]
> I like nouveau very much but unfortunately, there is no openGL in it.

Depends on your card.
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MesaDrivers

> Switching to nouveau means removing its modprobe blacklist and changing
> xorg.conf. Simple enough but I would like to be able to do this at boot time,
> either by command or by uname -r (in this case). Otherwise, this becomes a bit
> of a pain.

Hm, that sounds like a reasonable request. Blacklisting a driver in
modprobe.conf does not prevent it being loaded explicitly, and the
nouveau driver in X explicitly runs "modprobe nouveau" if I remember
correctly, so there should be no need to unblacklist nouveau, but
there would still be a need to prevent the nvidia driver from being
loaded and let X know what's going on.

Does DKMS offer a way to build a module only for some kernels? If so,
perhaps the nvidia X driver could be taught to take care of falling
back to fbdev or vesa when the kernel-side driver is not loaded.

[...]
> One other regression issue though, maybe to file another bug:
> mpu401 module will not load. It is there but says "no such device"
> Loads fine on the non-rt kernel.

Yep, sounds worth a bug. Be sure to attach full "dmesg" output from
booting a working and non-working kernel when reporting it.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120302091812.GL5248@burratino">http://lists.debian.org/20120302091812.GL5248@burratino
 
Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM
David Baron
 
Default Bug#660983: Licensed Symbol Conflicts with Some Non-GPL Modules

On Friday 02 March 2012 11:18:12 Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> David Baron wrote:
> > Most of the discussion of the -rt seems to be amount linux-audio-users
> > and such. I am not in touch with NC or process control but these will
> > want it also. I believe that they would also be involved with non-gpl
> > software.
>
> Sorry to have veered so far off-topic. I believe many -rt
> applications have programs in userspace talking to hardware (for
> example using a serial port).
>
> [...]
>
> > I like nouveau very much but unfortunately, there is no openGL in it.
>
> Depends on your card.
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MesaDrivers

Looked this over, interesting, though I have never figured out how to do
anything explicitely involving the Gallium stuff.

What is the status of Nouveau on Debian Sid and on Experimental for 3.1 and
3.2 kernels. Easy enough to try out but I have not had hardware 3D in the past
with 2.6 kernels.

> > Switching to nouveau means removing its modprobe blacklist and changing
> > xorg.conf. Simple enough but I would like to be able to do this at boot
> > time, either by command or by uname -r (in this case). Otherwise, this
> > becomes a bit of a pain.
>
> Hm, that sounds like a reasonable request. Blacklisting a driver in
> modprobe.conf does not prevent it being loaded explicitly, and the
> nouveau driver in X explicitly runs "modprobe nouveau" if I remember
> correctly, so there should be no need to unblacklist nouveau, but
> there would still be a need to prevent the nvidia driver from being
> loaded and let X know what's going on.
I have had to take the blacklist off to run it.

> Does DKMS offer a way to build a module only for some kernels? If so,
> perhaps the nvidia X driver could be taught to take care of falling
> back to fbdev or vesa when the kernel-side driver is not loaded.
>
I do not know. Will simply fail with a message citing the log file.

>
> > One other regression issue though, maybe to file another bug:
> > mpu401 module will not load. It is there but says "no such device"
> > Loads fine on the non-rt kernel.
>
> Yep, sounds worth a bug. Be sure to attach full "dmesg" output from
> booting a working and non-working kernel when reporting it.

I will place the bug. Not much information is given by the modprobe, however.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201203021153.01089.d_baron@012.net.il">http://lists.debian.org/201203021153.01089.d_baron@012.net.il
 
Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#660983: Licensed Symbol Conflicts with Some Non-GPL Modules

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 11:53 +0200, David Baron wrote:
> On Friday 02 March 2012 11:18:12 Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > David Baron wrote:
> > > Most of the discussion of the -rt seems to be amount linux-audio-users
> > > and such. I am not in touch with NC or process control but these will
> > > want it also. I believe that they would also be involved with non-gpl
> > > software.
> >
> > Sorry to have veered so far off-topic. I believe many -rt
> > applications have programs in userspace talking to hardware (for
> > example using a serial port).
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I like nouveau very much but unfortunately, there is no openGL in it.
> >
> > Depends on your card.
> > http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MesaDrivers
>
> Looked this over, interesting, though I have never figured out how to do
> anything explicitely involving the Gallium stuff.
>
> What is the status of Nouveau on Debian Sid and on Experimental for 3.1 and
> 3.2 kernels. Easy enough to try out but I have not had hardware 3D in the past
> with 2.6 kernels.
[...]

My work desktop runs Fedora 16 and has GNOME Shell working with nouveau
in Linux 3.2. So I would expect nouveau 3D acceleration to work
properly in wheezy/sid as well. But it's possible that Fedora has some
patches in this area.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
One of the nice things about standards is that there are so many of them.
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 PM
David Baron
 
Default Bug#660983: Licensed Symbol Conflicts with Some Non-GPL Modules

On Friday 02 March 2012 15:38:05 Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > > Most of the discussion of the -rt seems to be amount
> > > > linux-audio-users and such. I am not in touch with NC or process
> > > > control but these will want it also. I believe that they would also
> > > > be involved with non-gpl software.
> > >
> > > Sorry to have veered so far off-topic. I believe many -rt
> > > applications have programs in userspace talking to hardware (for
> > > example using a serial port).
> > > [...]
> > > > I like nouveau very much but unfortunately, there is no openGL in it.
> > >
> > > Depends on your card.
> > > http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MesaDrivers
> >
> > Looked this over, interesting, though I have never figured out how to do
> > anything explicitely involving the Gallium stuff.
> >
> > What is the status of Nouveau on Debian Sid and on Experimental for 3.1
> > and 3.2 kernels. Easy enough to try out but I have not had hardware 3D
> > in the past with 2.6 kernels.
>
> [...]
>
> My work desktop runs Fedora 16 and has GNOME Shell working with nouveau
> in Linux 3.2. So I would expect nouveau 3D acceleration to work
> properly in wheezy/sid as well. But it's possible that Fedora has some
> patches in this area.

My desktop runs beautifully with nouveau as well. The desktops do not really
need 3d-acceleration. Animation in games, some audio and control software may
well depend on it, however.

I should probably try nouveau again, simple and free to do so.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201203032036.04250.d_baron@012.net.il">http://lists.debian.org/201203032036.04250.d_baron@012.net.il
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org