Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

Default Planning for final lenny point release (5.0.10)

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 23:05 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> Working on the four-monthly schedule for oldstable, the next lenny point
> release would be due in early February.
>
> As the security team have recently confirmed that security support for
> lenny will end on February 6th (a year after the release of squeeze) it
> makes sense to schedule 5.0.10 to be after that date and make it the
> final roll-up point release for lenny.

So, security EOL for lenny has now passed. We're in sync with the
security archive and the only missing packages are
openjdk-6/{alpha,ia64} and opie/{arm,armel}. AIUI the chances of those
ever building are remote but, given that we've nothing to lose we might
as well go ahead and accept them in to o-p-u and see what happens[tm].

I can't see any outstanding o-p-u package bugs in the BTS. If there's
any I missed on the list, please yell.

-kernel, -boot - were there any plans for a final kernel and/or d-i
upload for lenny? If so we need to get those sorted asap.

In terms of scheduling for the point release itself, the current
suggestions are:

25-26/2 - Steve's not available for CDs

3-4/3 - Cambridge BSP. Should be do-able as long as I can get decent
connectivity at the right time. :-)

10-11/3 - Joerg mentioned he's not available on the Sunday, but that's
only really an issue if stuff breaks and it then transpires that Mark's
also unavailable to help fix the world.

Thoughts / preferences / anything I missed?

Cheers,

Adam

Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Goswin von Brederlow

"Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 23:05 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
>> Working on the four-monthly schedule for oldstable, the next lenny point
>> release would be due in early February.
>>
>> As the security team have recently confirmed that security support for
>> lenny will end on February 6th (a year after the release of squeeze) it
>> makes sense to schedule 5.0.10 to be after that date and make it the
>> final roll-up point release for lenny.
>
> So, security EOL for lenny has now passed. We're in sync with the
> security archive and the only missing packages are
> openjdk-6/{alpha,ia64} and opie/{arm,armel}. AIUI the chances of those
> ever building are remote but, given that we've nothing to lose we might
> as well go ahead and accept them in to o-p-u and see what happens[tm].
>
> I can't see any outstanding o-p-u package bugs in the BTS. If there's
> any I missed on the list, please yell.
>
> -kernel, -boot - were there any plans for a final kernel and/or d-i
> upload for lenny? If so we need to get those sorted asap.
>
> In terms of scheduling for the point release itself, the current
> suggestions are:
>
> 25-26/2 - Steve's not available for CDs
>
> 3-4/3 - Cambridge BSP. Should be do-able as long as I can get decent
> connectivity at the right time. :-)
>
> 10-11/3 - Joerg mentioned he's not available on the Sunday, but that's
> only really an issue if stuff breaks and it then transpires that Mark's
> also unavailable to help fix the world.
>
> Thoughts / preferences / anything I missed?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam

Should ia32-libs be updated?

MfG
Goswin

Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 21:36 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> -kernel, -boot - were there any plans for a final kernel and/or d-i
> upload for lenny? If so we need to get those sorted asap.

*prod*?

Regards,

Adam

Old 02-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:12:00PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 21:36 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > -kernel, -boot - were there any plans for a final kernel and/or d-i
> > upload for lenny? If so we need to get those sorted asap.
>
> *prod*?

I got nothing. Dann?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

[Cc list trimmed]

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 15:03 -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 04:55:32PM -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:36:38PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > > -kernel, -boot - were there any plans for a final kernel and/or d-i
> > > upload for lenny? If so we need to get those sorted asap.
> >
> > There are some security fixes for the kernel queued - nothing major.
> > I had planned to see if the CVE-2011-4127 fix from the recent 2.6.27.y
> > update applied cleanly/sanely. But, I'd also be ok w/ shipping what we
> > have now.
>
> Evidently this reply got dropped somewhere by listz, at any rate...
> I prepared the above, tested it on amd64, and I'm currently preparing
> a build for hppa. I don't know of anything else that needs to change
> in d-i. My recommendation would be to either:

fwiw, the packages in o-p-u right now which contain udebs are freetype,
libpng and openssl. Those all appear to be used in the gtk initrd at
least (openssl only on some architectures) although I'm not sure if that
makes a difference to whether we want to do a respin.

> A) upload this build to security. If we have all builds by Monday
> (02.27), go ahead and release a DSA and proceed with a d-i spin. If
> not, reject & go w/ what we have.

Assuming the technical side still works, I do worry a little that a new
DSA three weeks after the announced EOL for security support might
confuse people.

I suppose we could do a last-minute kernel update via o-p-u, although I
don't know if we have any idea how many people actually upgrade to EOL
point releases in the relatively short period before the move to
archive.d.o.

Phil: any thoughts / preferences?

Regards,

Adam

Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Philipp Kern

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:44:46PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> Assuming the technical side still works, I do worry a little that a new
> DSA three weeks after the announced EOL for security support might
> confuse people.
>
> I suppose we could do a last-minute kernel update via o-p-u, although I
> don't know if we have any idea how many people actually upgrade to EOL
> point releases in the relatively short period before the move to
> archive.d.o.

yeah, I wondered the same. I don't actually know when ftp-master gets
rid of oldstable on the mirrors. If we'd know that it's still around
for a few months I'd say o-p-u. The old suites used to stay on
security-master for ages, but AFAICS that's no longer the case
neither.

Maybe the final announcement should point people at archive already
(it could already get synced there at that point, given that it won't
change anymore).

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 AM
dann frazier

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:12:11PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:44:46PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > Assuming the technical side still works, I do worry a little that a new
> > DSA three weeks after the announced EOL for security support might
> > confuse people.
> >
> > I suppose we could do a last-minute kernel update via o-p-u, although I
> > don't know if we have any idea how many people actually upgrade to EOL
> > point releases in the relatively short period before the move to
> > archive.d.o.
>
> yeah, I wondered the same. I don't actually know when ftp-master gets
> rid of oldstable on the mirrors. If we'd know that it's still around
> for a few months I'd say o-p-u. The old suites used to stay on
> security-master for ages, but AFAICS that's no longer the case
> neither.
>
> Maybe the final announcement should point people at archive already
> (it could already get synced there at that point, given that it won't
> change anymore).

Ok - sounds like no DSA, but maybe an upload via o-p-u. My vote is to
do no kernel upload if the release gets scheduled for the first
weekend in march - that's one week out, and I'll have spotty
availability beginning mid-week. For later weekends, I'm for it.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"