Old 02-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Samuel Thibault

Default Sparc netboot image is too large to boot (again)

Jurij Smakov, le Sat 04 Feb 2012 12:16:25 +0000, a écrit :
> I've noticed that, yet again, sparc daily netboot image is too large
> to boot. Last time we mitigated the problem by removing the support
> for wireless networking. I'm going to poke around again to see what
> else can be get rid of, please let me know if you have any ideas.

AIUI, linux can now have support for uncompressing bzip2, lzma and lzo.
Trying them on amd64's initrd:

-rw-r--r-- 1 samy samy 8,5M févr. 5 14:06 initrd.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 samy samy 7,7M févr. 5 14:06 initrd.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 samy samy 6,2M févr. 5 14:06 initrd.lzma
-rw-r--r-- 1 samy samy 9,4M févr. 5 14:06 initrd.lzo
-rw-r--r-- 1 samy samy 6,2M févr. 5 14:07 initrd.xz (for comparison)

Doesn't it seem worthwhile to enable lzma support in the kernel to save
more than 2M here?

Samuel

Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Bastian Blank

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 02:09:11PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> AIUI, linux can now have support for uncompressing bzip2, lzma and lzo.

CONFIG_RD_GZIP=y
CONFIG_RD_BZIP2=y
CONFIG_RD_LZMA=y
CONFIG_RD_XZ=y
CONFIG_RD_LZO=y

The amd64 image have support for gzip, bzip2, lzma and the xz variant.

Bastian

--
... bacteriological warfare ... hard to believe we were once foolish
enough to play around with that.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Samuel Thibault

Bastian Blank, le Sun 05 Feb 2012 14:55:49 +0100, a écrit :
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 02:09:11PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > AIUI, linux can now have support for uncompressing bzip2, lzma and lzo.
>
> CONFIG_RD_GZIP=y
> CONFIG_RD_BZIP2=y
> CONFIG_RD_LZMA=y
> CONFIG_RD_XZ=y
> CONFIG_RD_LZO=y
>
> The amd64 image have support for gzip, bzip2, lzma and the xz variant.

Ah, right, it's not explicitly set in the linux-2.6 configs, but
automatically enabled by Kconfig.

So, anything against using xz compression instead? (except that there
might be quite a few scripts to update from initrd.gz to initrd.xz...)

Samuel

Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Jurij Smakov

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 03:11:48PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Bastian Blank, le Sun 05 Feb 2012 14:55:49 +0100, a écrit :
> > On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 02:09:11PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > AIUI, linux can now have support for uncompressing bzip2, lzma and lzo.
> >
> > CONFIG_RD_GZIP=y
> > CONFIG_RD_BZIP2=y
> > CONFIG_RD_LZMA=y
> > CONFIG_RD_XZ=y
> > CONFIG_RD_LZO=y
> >
> > The amd64 image have support for gzip, bzip2, lzma and the xz variant.
>
> Ah, right, it's not explicitly set in the linux-2.6 configs, but
> automatically enabled by Kconfig.
>
> So, anything against using xz compression instead? (except that there
> might be quite a few scripts to update from initrd.gz to initrd.xz...)

Samuel, thanks a lot for all ideas. Using xz on the sparc's netboot
initrd image reduces its size dramatically:

-rw-r--r-- 1 jurij jurij 4341553 Feb 17 18:50 initrd.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 jurij jurij 3083408 Feb 17 18:51 initrd.xz

Attached patch implements the switch. It's not particularly elegant,
but minimally intrusive, only affecting the building ot sparc's
netboot image. I would like to commit it some time next week, unless
anyone objects.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/ KeyID: C99E03CC

Old 02-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Bastian Blank

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:00:24PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Attached patch implements the switch. It's not particularly elegant,
> but minimally intrusive, only affecting the building ot sparc's
> netboot image. I would like to commit it some time next week, unless
> anyone objects.

I would do that for all architectures. There is no reason to use gzip on
any of them.

Bastian

--
"We have the right to survive!"
"Not by killing others."

Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Jurij Smakov

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:58:25PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:00:24PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> > Attached patch implements the switch. It's not particularly elegant,
> > but minimally intrusive, only affecting the building ot sparc's
> > netboot image. I would like to commit it some time next week, unless
> > anyone objects.
>
> I would do that for all architectures. There is no reason to use gzip on
> any of them.

I wouldn't want to break the netboot images for other arches by
making changes which are not really required. Each architecture
probably has some considerations I'm not necessarily aware of, so I
would suggest to individual architecture porters to test xz
compression out, paving the way to making it the default.

Best regards,