Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 AM
Matthias Klose

Default RFS: eclipse (new upstream release with Java 7 support)

On 12/30/2011 11:23 PM, Jakub Adam wrote:
>> on which platforms? i.e. are the "architecture templates" updated to build on
>> more than amd64 and i386?
>
> There are arm, ia64, mips, ppc and sparc in the additional architectures - see
> contents of
> debian/eclipse-build-additionalArchs.tar.bz2.
>
> I tried to build the armel variant and successfully compiled
> org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.arm
> plugin, which failed in previous 3.7.0-1 version[1], though I wasn't able to
> finish the complete
> build because of insufficient amount of RAM (seems it's not possible to use more
> than 256MB
> with arm in qemu).

currently the heap of a process on ARM is limited to 2GB (which is still not
enough to build eclipse). There is a fix submitted upstream which should help
with this (https://launchpad.net/bugs/861296), although it needs deployment on
the armel and armhf builders as well. This will allow building some more
haskell packages as well.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Arnaud Patard (Rtp)

Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> writes:
Hi,

> On 12/30/2011 11:23 PM, Jakub Adam wrote:
>>> on which platforms? i.e. are the "architecture templates" updated to build on
>>> more than amd64 and i386?
>>
>> There are arm, ia64, mips, ppc and sparc in the additional architectures - see
>> contents of
>> debian/eclipse-build-additionalArchs.tar.bz2.
>>
>> I tried to build the armel variant and successfully compiled
>> org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.arm
>> plugin, which failed in previous 3.7.0-1 version[1], though I wasn't able to
>> finish the complete
>> build because of insufficient amount of RAM (seems it's not possible to use more
>> than 256MB
>> with arm in qemu).
>
> currently the heap of a process on ARM is limited to 2GB (which is still not
> enough to build eclipse). There is a fix submitted upstream which should help
> with this (https://launchpad.net/bugs/861296), although it needs deployment on
> the armel and armhf builders as well. This will allow building some more
> haskell packages as well.

The patches have been merged in different trees:

- http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=41dfaa934c5d866d626de9bea785e 6168524a47e
- http://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-arm.git;a=commit;h=7dbaa466780a754154531b44c2086f6 618cee3a8

3.2 will have the first patch but the second is for 3.3.

Arnaud

Old 12-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Arnaud Patard (Rtp)

Old 12-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Benjamin Drung

Am Freitag, den 30.12.2011, 17:06 +0100 schrieb Jakub Adam:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> > debian/extra/eclipse adds a wrong updatesite
>
> Changed URL to Indigo update site.
>
> I also changed a bit the way how files to be updated are searched, because
> when I run Eclipse for the first time, two files with name
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository.prefs are created. So with
> regex I pick up the right one in profileRegistry dir.
>
> > the "export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true" workaround should be dropped.
>
> I tried to run Eclipse without this variable set and found no issues
> anymore, so it's removed.

Thanks. I am currently uploading it.

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer

Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 11:43 +0100, Arnaud Patard wrote:
> Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> writes:
> Hi,

> >> There are arm, ia64, mips, ppc and sparc in the additional architectures - see
> >> contents of
> >> debian/eclipse-build-additionalArchs.tar.bz2.
> >>
> >> I tried to build the armel variant and successfully compiled
> >> org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.arm
> >> plugin, which failed in previous 3.7.0-1 version[1], though I wasn't able to
> >> finish the complete
> >> build because of insufficient amount of RAM (seems it's not possible to use more
> >> than 256MB
> >> with arm in qemu).
> >
> > currently the heap of a process on ARM is limited to 2GB (which is still not
> > enough to build eclipse). There is a fix submitted upstream which should help
> > with this (https://launchpad.net/bugs/861296), although it needs deployment on
> > the armel and armhf builders as well. This will allow building some more
> > haskell packages as well.
>
> The patches have been merged in different trees:
>
> - http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=41dfaa934c5d866d626de9bea785e 6168524a47e
> - http://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-arm.git;a=commit;h=7dbaa466780a754154531b44c2086f6 618cee3a8
>
> 3.2 will have the first patch but the second is for 3.3.

Can we cherry-pick it now? Are there any other changes not in 3.2 that
we would need to take?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers. - Leonard Brandwein

Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Ben Hutchings