Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Paul Wise

Default taskstats capability check in stable

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 02:12 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> This change is likely to be included in 2.6.32.y and, by default, in our
> next stable point release. As Linus says, this means that unprivileged
> accounts won't be able to run iotop, but this is probably correct
> behaviour.

Thanks for the heads up.

> It appears that older versions of iotop do not report this error in a
> helpful way (#644616). So I think that if we apply this change to the
> kernel then iotop should also be updated in stable.

It appears the iotop patch applies to the stable version with no
changes. Should I prepare an update and propose it to the release team?

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 12-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 11:11 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 02:12 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > This change is likely to be included in 2.6.32.y and, by default, in our
> > next stable point release. As Linus says, this means that unprivileged
> > accounts won't be able to run iotop, but this is probably correct
> > behaviour.
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> > It appears that older versions of iotop do not report this error in a
> > helpful way (#644616). So I think that if we apply this change to the
> > kernel then iotop should also be updated in stable.
>
> It appears the iotop patch applies to the stable version with no
> changes. Should I prepare an update and propose it to the release team?

Please do.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Paul Wise

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 04:32 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> Please do.

Proposed in #652015