FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#651723: linux-source: CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option doesn't work

severity 651723 wishlist
found 651723 linux-2.6/2.6.38~rc8-1~experimental.2
quit

Felipe Salvador wrote:

> Selecting CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option in .config, the firmware is not
> included in vmlinuz.

Yep, version 2.6.38~rc8-1~experimental.2[1] removed the entire
firmware/ directory, including firmware/Makefile (and forgot to
mention so in debian/changelog, it seems).

Maybe it would be worth adding some rules from firmware/Makefile back.

[1] http://svn.debian.org/viewvc/kernel?view=revision&revision=17068



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111211183749.GA21812@elie.hsd1.il.comcast.net">h ttp://lists.debian.org/20111211183749.GA21812@elie.hsd1.il.comcast.net
 
Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#651723: linux-source: CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option doesn't work

Jonathan Nieder wrote:

> Yep, version 2.6.38~rc8-1~experimental.2[1] removed the entire
> firmware/ directory, including firmware/Makefile (and forgot to
> mention so in debian/changelog, it seems).

Never mind about that last part. This is

* Move firmware-linux-free to separate source package (firmware-free)





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111211183844.GB21812@elie.hsd1.il.comcast.net">h ttp://lists.debian.org/20111211183844.GB21812@elie.hsd1.il.comcast.net
 
Old 12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Felipe Salvador
 
Default Bug#651723: linux-source: CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option doesn't work

In data domenica 11 dicembre 2011 19:37:49, Jonathan Nieder ha scritto:
> Maybe it would be worth adding some rules from firmware/Makefile back.

It's a wish list so, Please

However, "brutal" solution:

/usr/src/linux-source-3.1$ mkdir firmware/

copy from vanilla source

/usr/src/linux-source-3.1$ cp ../linux-3.1.5/firmware/Makefile firmware/
/usr/src/linux-source-3.1$ cp ../linux-3.1.5/firmware/radeon/ -fr firmware/
[1]/usr/src/linux-source-3.1$ cp ../linux-3.1.5/firmware/bnx2* -fr firmware/

in /usr/src/linux-source-3.1/Makefile, line 508, replace:

'drivers-y := drivers/ sound/'

with

'drivers-y := drivers/ sound/ firmware/'



[1]without bnx2 the precess fails, so It's not something that can be solved by
copying/edit some files, there is an interdependencies between firmware that are
not necessarily related, it can be a problem if you need to build-in firmware-
free and the process need a firmware non-free.


at this point R520_cp.bin it's built but not embedded:
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw',
needed by `firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw.gen.o'. Stop.
mkdir -p /usr/src/linux-source-3.1/firmware/bnx2
make[1]: *** [firmware] Error 2

Moreover to build firmware we need .ihex , firmware-linux* provide .bin files.



> Never mind about that last part. This is
>
> * Move firmware-linux-free to separate source package (firmware-free)

Mea culpa!


Sorry for my english, I hope I've been clear

Thank you Jonathan

--
felipe



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201112121655.17052.felipe.salvador@gmail.com">http ://lists.debian.org/201112121655.17052.felipe.salvador@gmail.com
 
Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Felipe Salvador
 
Default Bug#651723: linux-source: CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option doesn't work

> [1]without bnx2 the precess fails, so It's not something that can be solved
by
> copying/edit some files, there is an interdependencies between firmware that
are
> not necessarily related, it can be a problem if you need to build-in
firmware-
> free and the process need a firmware non-free.
>
>
> at this point R520_cp.bin it's built but not embedded:
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw',
> needed by `firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw.gen.o'. Stop.
> mkdir -p /usr/src/linux-source-3.1/firmware/bnx2
> make[1]: *** [firmware] Error 2

Sorry, never mind, I'm confused :<

/usr/src/linux-source-3.1$ grep -i bnx /boot/config-$(uname -r)
CONFIG_BNX2=y

--
felipe



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201112121745.40670.felipe.salvador@gmail.com">http ://lists.debian.org/201112121745.40670.felipe.salvador@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:26 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org