Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Jonathan Nieder

Default Firmware for Adaptec Starfire missing in Squeeze

reassign 651443 src:firmware-nonfree 0.28+squeeze1
quit

Hi,

Peter Nelson wrote:

> The firmware files required when using an Adaptec Starfire-based network
> card using the kernel driver starfire.ko are missing. They are in
> neither the linux-image package, nor firmware-linux-free or
> firmware-linux-nonfree.

Hmm.

>From WHENCE in the linux-firmware repository[1]:

| Driver: starfire - Adaptec Starfire/DuraLAN support
|
| File: adaptec/starfire_rx.bin
| File: adaptec/starfire_tx.bin
|
| Licence: Allegedly GPLv2, but no source visible.

Which means we do not have permission to distribute that version without
source. However, at [2], I see:

| FreeBSD appears to have copied the proper copyright notices into their
| versions of the firmware:
| http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/dev/sf/starfire_rx.h
| http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/dev/sf/starfire_tx.h
|
| "(c)2001 Adaptec, Inc. By using this software you agree that it is
| licensed to you "AS IS" and that Adaptec makes no warranties,
| express or implied, regarding the Software.
| Any redistribution of this Software must include this disclaimer and
| copyright notice."

That doesn't actually say that redistribution is allowed, either. :/

FreeBSD's changelog for these files says

| Import AIC-6915 firmware for GFP from Adaptec.
| Special thanks to bruffer to send the firmware image to me.
|
| Submitted by: gibbs via bruffer

which sounds legit to me. What's the next step?

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan

[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/501152#20