Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Didier Trosset

Default Missing headers when compiling for 32 bits on amd64 wheezy.

Bonjour,

I am having a trouble with the C system headers when compiling for 32
bits target on my amd64 wheezy system.

This simple program

#include <errno.h>
int main()
{
return 0;
}

Does not compile correctly for 32 bits. The result is:

$ gcc -m32 test-errno.c
In file included from /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25:0,
from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
from test-errno.c:1:
/usr/include/linux/errno.h:4:23: fatal error: asm/errno.h: No such file
or directory

compilation terminated.

As I've been looking in the header files, the missing file
/usr/include/asm/errno.h is no more present in any wheezy package for amd64.

Best regards
Didier

--
Didier Trosset-Moreau
SW Design Engineer

Agilent Technologies, Inc.
12, chemin des Aulx
CH-1228 Plan-Les-Ouates

+41 22 884 32 89 Tel

Old 10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Ben Hutchings

I think you need to install gcc-multilib.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Didier Trosset

Bonjour Ben

Thanks for your answer, but I already have libc6-dev-i386 and
gcc-multilib installed.

The problem is in this file

$ more /usr/include/linux/errno.h
#ifndef _LINUX_ERRNO_H
#define _LINUX_ERRNO_H

#include <asm/errno.h>

#endif

Where the referred asm/errno.h does not exist.

Best regards
Didier

Old 10-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 05:43:48PM +0200, Didier Trosset wrote:
> Bonjour Ben
>
> Thanks for your answer, but I already have libc6-dev-i386 and
> gcc-multilib installed.
>
> The problem is in this file
>
> $ more /usr/include/linux/errno.h
> #ifndef _LINUX_ERRNO_H
> #define _LINUX_ERRNO_H
>
> #include <asm/errno.h>
>

> #endif
>

> Where the referred asm/errno.h does not exist.

Sounds like <http://bugs.debian.org/638418>.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Didier Trosset

Thanks for your answer, but I already have libc6-dev-i386 and
gcc-multilib installed.

The problem is in this file

$ more /usr/include/linux/errno.h
#ifndef _LINUX_ERRNO_H
#define _LINUX_ERRNO_H

#include<asm/errno.h>

#endif

Where the referred asm/errno.h does not exist.

Sounds like<http://bugs.debian.org/638418>.

Yes. It this one, but the other way round. I'm on x86_64 and want to
compile to i386 with -m32.

I'll create the /usr/include/asm symlink to
/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/asm as a workaround.

Thanks again for your help
Best regards
Didier

Ben.