FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Kurt Roeckx
 
Default Bug#644198: linux-2.6: Tell reportbug to use src:linux-2.6

Package: src:linux-2.6

Hi,

Can you please chang the bug control file to use:
Submit-As: src:linux-2.6
instead of the current:
Submit-As: linux-2.6

That way the BTS will properly know this is a bug against a source
package and not a binary package.


Kurt




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111003201212.GA28254@roeckx.be">http://lists.debian.org/20111003201212.GA28254@roeckx.be
 
Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#644198: linux-2.6: Tell reportbug to use src:linux-2.6

severity 644198 wishlist
found 644198 linux-2.6/3.2.10-1
tags 644198 + moreinfo
quit

Hi,

Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> Can you please chang the bug control file to use:
> Submit-As: src:linux-2.6
> instead of the current:
> Submit-As: linux-2.6

What would be the benefit? Any downsides?

Curious,
Jonathan



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120317002700.GA524@burratino">http://lists.debian.org/20120317002700.GA524@burratino
 
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Kurt Roeckx
 
Default Bug#644198: linux-2.6: Tell reportbug to use src:linux-2.6

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 07:27:00PM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> severity 644198 wishlist
> found 644198 linux-2.6/3.2.10-1
> tags 644198 + moreinfo
> quit
>
> Hi,
>
> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>
> > Can you please chang the bug control file to use:
> > Submit-As: src:linux-2.6
> > instead of the current:
> > Submit-As: linux-2.6
>
> What would be the benefit?


That it's filed against an existing package, something the BTS
actually knows about?

> Any downsides?

Not that I know.


Kurt




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120317085522.GA17708@roeckx.be">http://lists.debian.org/20120317085522.GA17708@roeckx.be
 
Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#644198: linux-2.6: Tell reportbug to use src:linux-2.6

Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 07:27:00PM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>> Kurt Roeckx wrote:

>>> Can you please chang the bug control file to use:
>>> Submit-As: src:linux-2.6
>>> instead of the current:
>>> Submit-As: linux-2.6
>>
>> What would be the benefit?
>
> That it's filed against an existing package, something the BTS
> actually knows about?

To avoid confusion when people misfile bugs about a source package,
it seems that the BTS invents a fake <package> binary package for any
source package <package>. That's why

http://bugs.debian.org/src:linux-2.6

lists kernel bugs filed against the linux-2.6 binary package, too,
even though there is no actual linux-2.6 binary package in Debian.

So if that's the reason behind this proposal, I'm tempted to just
close it. The change would involve taking a risk with no upside to
balance it.

There wouldn't have to be a huge upside to balance a small risk, but
there has to be something. I could easily be missing something.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120317104055.GA2298@burratino">http://lists.debian.org/20120317104055.GA2298@burratino
 
Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Kurt Roeckx
 
Default Bug#644198: linux-2.6: Tell reportbug to use src:linux-2.6

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 05:40:55AM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 07:27:00PM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> >> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>
> >>> Can you please chang the bug control file to use:
> >>> Submit-As: src:linux-2.6
> >>> instead of the current:
> >>> Submit-As: linux-2.6
> >>
> >> What would be the benefit?
> >
> > That it's filed against an existing package, something the BTS
> > actually knows about?
>
> To avoid confusion when people misfile bugs about a source package,
> it seems that the BTS invents a fake <package> binary package for any
> source package <package>.

>From where do you get that that is actually supported? Are you sure
it's not just a bug somewhere in the BTS that it seems to work?

Maybe you should talk to Don about this?

> That's why
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/src:linux-2.6
>
> lists kernel bugs filed against the linux-2.6 binary package, too,
> even though there is no actual linux-2.6 binary package in Debian.
>
> So if that's the reason behind this proposal, I'm tempted to just
> close it. The change would involve taking a risk with no upside to
> balance it.

What risk?

Would it be more clear that reportbug sends:
Source: linux-2.6
instead of:
Package: src:linux-2.6

(I don't know if it supports it, the BTS does for ages.)



Kurt




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120317110231.GA9171@roeckx.be">http://lists.debian.org/20120317110231.GA9171@roeckx.be
 
Old 03-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Bug#644198: linux-2.6: Tell reportbug to use src:linux-2.6

Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 05:40:55AM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> To avoid confusion when people misfile bugs about a source package,
>> it seems that the BTS invents a fake <package> binary package for any
>> source package <package>.
>
> From where do you get that that is actually supported?

Don has mentioned it is supported. Unfortunately I don't have a
link at hand to back that up.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120317112817.GA2829@burratino">http://lists.debian.org/20120317112817.GA2829@burratino
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:21 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org