Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Alexander Reichle-Schmehl

Default new hardware support: calling for testing

Hi!

Am 16.06.2011 08:49, schrieb Stefano Zacchiroli:

> If someone could draft a -news text out of [1], the -publicity team
> could then push it forward. For -publicity, that announcement could also
> be an occasion to let our users know the way new hw is supported in
> Debian, for those who have memories of the "and a half" thingie. (I, for
> one thing, get asked periodically about that.)

Hmmm... We already had that in the last issue of the DPN:
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/09/#hwsupport and I think we
also dented about it. Still worth an announcement on its own?

Best regards,
Alexander

Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:52:32AM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 16.06.2011 08:49, schrieb Stefano Zacchiroli:
>
> > If someone could draft a -news text out of [1], the -publicity team
> > could then push it forward. For -publicity, that announcement could also
> > be an occasion to let our users know the way new hw is supported in
> > Debian, for those who have memories of the "and a half" thingie. (I, for
> > one thing, get asked periodically about that.)
>
> Hmmm... We already had that in the last issue of the DPN:
> http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/09/#hwsupport and I think we
> also dented about it. Still worth an announcement on its own?

Not right now. We didn't get enough response in time for release 6.0.2,
so the 4 network drivers where I backported most changes will not be
updated in this release.

I'm intending to include those changes in an upload to s-p-u afterward
so there can be a long testing period before 6.0.3. (However I'm still
not sure whether this is an acceptable risk in s-p-u.) Any further call
for testing should refer to that version.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:52:32AM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hmmm... We already had that in the last issue of the DPN:
> http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/09/#hwsupport and I think we
> also dented about it. Still worth an announcement on its own?

Right, it's probably not worth anymore (at least not for that version,
given Ben's follow-up). What I meant to highlight is just that, given
the importance of such testing for stable users of new kernel versions,
we might want to convey the corresponding announcements via debian-news.

For the -kernel people: keep in mind that we need your input to do that,
please mail us when you deem appropriate to have one such call for
testing.

Cheers.
Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, | . |. I've fans everywhere

Old 09-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 11:24 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:52:32AM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> > Hmmm... We already had that in the last issue of the DPN:
> > http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/09/#hwsupport and I think we
> > also dented about it. Still worth an announcement on its own?
>
> Right, it's probably not worth anymore (at least not for that version,
> given Ben's follow-up). What I meant to highlight is just that, given
> the importance of such testing for stable users of new kernel versions,
> we might want to convey the corresponding announcements via debian-news.
>
> For the -kernel people: keep in mind that we need your input to do that,
> please mail us when you deem appropriate to have one such call for
> testing.

There is a new package with the driver updates available in
stable-proposed-updates (version 2.6.32-36). The point release is now
scheduled for 8th October and the kernel source package must be
finalised about 2 weeks before that to allow time for reubilding the
kernel, installer and CD images.

This means there are about 10 days left to test this and fix bugs. I
think it would be worth making a separate announcement a.s.a.p.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
All extremists should be taken out and shot.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 03:22:35PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> There is a new package with the driver updates available in
> stable-proposed-updates (version 2.6.32-36). The point release is now
> scheduled for 8th October and the kernel source package must be
> finalised about 2 weeks before that to allow time for reubilding the
> kernel, installer and CD images.
>
> This means there are about 10 days left to test this and fix bugs. I
> think it would be worth making a separate announcement a.s.a.p.

Great, thanks for noticing. Could someone from the kernel team outline
the core information that you want to be in such an announcement? Could
be as simple as an outline:

- preferred way for users to install the update (adding sources.list
line or downloading raw .deb-s? in the second case, which flavor?)

- preferred way to report issues (BTS or something else?)

- etc.

The above would allow people from publicity to draft an announcement and
submit it for your review. Alternatively, if you want to draft one and
pass it through, even better :-)

Let us know,
Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} . o .
Maître de conférences ...... http://upsilon.cc/zack ...... . . o

Old 09-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 16:57 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 03:22:35PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > There is a new package with the driver updates available in
> > stable-proposed-updates (version 2.6.32-36). The point release is now
> > scheduled for 8th October and the kernel source package must be
> > finalised about 2 weeks before that to allow time for reubilding the
> > kernel, installer and CD images.
> >
> > This means there are about 10 days left to test this and fix bugs. I
> > think it would be worth making a separate announcement a.s.a.p.
>
> Great, thanks for noticing. Could someone from the kernel team outline
> the core information that you want to be in such an announcement? Could
> be as simple as an outline:
[...]
> The above would allow people from publicity to draft an announcement and
> submit it for your review. Alternatively, if you want to draft one and
> pass it through, even better :-)

Here's a draft text, covering the points you listed:

"""
Debian point release 6.0.3 will include updated Linux kernel packages.
These will include bug fixes from the Linux 'longterm' series up to
2.6.32.46, plus updated drivers supporting new gigabit Ethernet chips
from Broadcom, Intel, and Realtek.

New packages for 32-bit PC, 64-bit PC and PowerPC are already available
for installation from the 'stable-proposed-updates' suite
<http://wiki.debian.org/StableProposedUpdates>. We welcome pre-release
testing of these packages, particularly on systems that use the updated
drivers.

The drivers being updated are:

* e1000e (#627700)
- Add support for i82567V-4 and i82579
- Fix support for i82577, i82578 and i82583
* igb, igbvf (#627702)
- Add support for i82576-ET2, i82580, DH89xxCC, i340 and i350
* r8169 (#627704)
- Fix support for RTL8102E and RTL8168DP
- Add support for RTL8105E, RTL8168E and another variant of RTL8168DP
- Add support for D-Link DGE-530T rev C1
* tg3, broadcom (#627705)
- Add support for BCM5717, BCM5719, BCM57765
- Add support for BCM50610M and BCM5241 PHYs
- Fix support for BCM5755

Any problems found in testing should be reported to the Debian bug
tracking system using the 'reportbug' tool. In case of regressions in
the updated drivers, please follow up to the bug number listed above.
"""

The announcement should also say that we intend to get any necessary
fxes made by 24th September. But if there is a serious regression found
after that then we would presumably rather delay the point release than
continue with that regression, so it's not an absolute deadline. I'm
not sure how this should be explained.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Francesca Ciceri

Hi all,