Old 05-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Ben Hutchings

Default Scheduling of Debian 6.0.2

I understand that the plan is to release the next stable update in 'late
May', i.e. the next 10 days.

I'm working on network driver updates to support new hardware, and I
think that a reasonable amount of regression testing will require at
least a week from now. Please consider delaying the stable update so
that there is time to include these updates in the installer after
testing.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 16:55 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I understand that the plan is to release the next stable update in 'late
> May', i.e. the next 10 days.

That's what _should_ happen according to the rough schedule, yes. Sadly
(or not so, depending on how you look at it), I haven't found the tuits
to finalise the arrangements so there's relatively little chance of us
precisely hitting that marker. (I have moved said arranging up my to-do
list though).

Regards,

Adam

Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Steve McIntyre

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:54:38PM +0100, Adam Barratt wrote:
>On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 16:55 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> I understand that the plan is to release the next stable update in 'late
>> May', i.e. the next 10 days.
>
>That's what _should_ happen according to the rough schedule, yes. Sadly
>(or not so, depending on how you look at it), I haven't found the tuits
>to finalise the arrangements so there's relatively little chance of us
>precisely hitting that marker. (I have moved said arranging up my to-do
>list though).

Fair enough, that's good for me. I'm busy-ish for the next couple of
weekends anyway (as a data point).

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
Support the Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression: http://www.eff.org/cafe/

Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 16:55 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I understand that the plan is to release the next stable update in 'late
> May', i.e. the next 10 days.

As you'll have noticed, that didn't happen. We are now looking at
releasing 6.0.2 on June 25th, i.e. in a little over two weeks from now.

> I'm working on network driver updates to support new hardware, and I
> think that a reasonable amount of regression testing will require at
> least a week from now. Please consider delaying the stable update so
> that there is time to include these updates in the installer after
> testing.

How are things going? In order to ensure that we have time to get the
kernel available on all architectures and then perform a respin of the
installer to pull in the updated kernel, we work on a schedule of having
the kernel uploaded two weeks before the point release - for 6.0.2, that
would mean over the coming weekend.

Regards,

Adam

Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 07:55:31PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 16:55 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I understand that the plan is to release the next stable update in 'late
> > May', i.e. the next 10 days.
>
> As you'll have noticed, that didn't happen. We are now looking at
> releasing 6.0.2 on June 25th, i.e. in a little over two weeks from now.
>
> > I'm working on network driver updates to support new hardware, and I
> > think that a reasonable amount of regression testing will require at
> > least a week from now. Please consider delaying the stable update so
> > that there is time to include these updates in the installer after
> > testing.
>
> How are things going? In order to ensure that we have time to get the
> kernel available on all architectures and then perform a respin of the
> installer to pull in the updated kernel, we work on a schedule of having
> the kernel uploaded two weeks before the point release - for 6.0.2, that
> would mean over the coming weekend.

I've had a couple of positive but incomplete reports, and some code
review of tg3 changes from upstream. I've not committed any changes
to these drivers and as things stand I don't think it would be
reasonable to do so.

This weekend I'll be travelling. (As it happens, I'm going to the
Linux netconf.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 20:05 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 07:55:31PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 16:55 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > I'm working on network driver updates to support new hardware, and I
[...]
> > How are things going? In order to ensure that we have time to get the
> > kernel available on all architectures and then perform a respin of the
> > installer to pull in the updated kernel, we work on a schedule of having
> > the kernel uploaded two weeks before the point release - for 6.0.2, that
> > would mean over the coming weekend.
>
> I've had a couple of positive but incomplete reports, and some code
> review of tg3 changes from upstream. I've not committed any changes
> to these drivers and as things stand I don't think it would be
> reasonable to do so.

Thanks for the update. Were there any other changes you were looking at
getting in to the point release on top of the 2.6.32-34squeeze1
currently in p-u?

Regards,

Adam

Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 08:10:35PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 20:05 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> [...]
> > > How are things going? In order to ensure that we have time to get the
> > > kernel available on all architectures and then perform a respin of the
> > > installer to pull in the updated kernel, we work on a schedule of having
> > > the kernel uploaded two weeks before the point release - for 6.0.2, that
> > > would mean over the coming weekend.
> >
> > I've had a couple of positive but incomplete reports, and some code
> > review of tg3 changes from upstream. I've not committed any changes
> > to these drivers and as things stand I don't think it would be
> > reasonable to do so.
>
> Thanks for the update. Were there any other changes you were looking at
> getting in to the point release on top of the 2.6.32-34squeeze1
> currently in p-u?

Yes, there are several new drivers and minor changes to other drivers
for hardware enablement. These are already committed in svn.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 20:05 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 07:55:31PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > How are things going? In order to ensure that we have time to get the
> > kernel available on all architectures and then perform a respin of the
> > installer to pull in the updated kernel, we work on a schedule of having
> > the kernel uploaded two weeks before the point release - for 6.0.2, that
> > would mean over the coming weekend.
>
> I've had a couple of positive but incomplete reports, and some code
> review of tg3 changes from upstream. I've not committed any changes
> to these drivers and as things stand I don't think it would be
> reasonable to do so.
>
> This weekend I'll be travelling. (As it happens, I'm going to the
> Linux netconf.)

Well, before the weekend would also be fine from our point of view, if
feasible. ;-)

>From a practical point-of-view, what are the chances that we could look
at an upload by the start of next week?

Regards,