FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Elimar Riesebieter
 
Default alsa-source

Hi Gents,

from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
from alsa-driver. The kernel team does a good job and 1.0.23 is
available in 2.6.38 sid package and 1.0.24 in 2.6.39-rc?
experimental. It is worse to provide a paralell source package.
Removing this package will flush maintainers garbage a bit ;-) Users
who want to build their own driver should be able to customize a
kernelbuild [0]

What do you think?

Elimar

[0] http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html

--
Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110518180552.GB3175@samweis.home.lxtec.de">http://lists.debian.org/20110518180552.GB3175@samweis.home.lxtec.de
 
Old 05-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default alsa-source

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:05:52PM +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
>
> Hi Gents,
>
> from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
> from alsa-driver. The kernel team does a good job and 1.0.23 is
> available in 2.6.38 sid package and 1.0.24 in 2.6.39-rc?
> experimental. It is worse to provide a paralell source package.
> Removing this package will flush maintainers garbage a bit ;-) Users
> who want to build their own driver should be able to customize a
> kernelbuild [0]
>
> What do you think?

I'd be very happy with this.

You could also get rid of linux-sound-base and leave it to the oss4
maintainers to screw around with blacklists. OSS is unmaintained
within mainline Linux and is not included in our Linux configurations.

I'm not sure quite what purpose alsa-base would serve, either.

Ben,

--
Ben Hutchings
We get into the habit of living before acquiring the habit of thinking.
- Albert Camus


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110518191159.GJ29924@decadent.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/20110518191159.GJ29924@decadent.org.uk
 
Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 AM
Luke Yelavich
 
Default alsa-source

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 04:05:52AM EST, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
>
> Hi Gents,
>
> from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
> from alsa-driver. The kernel team does a good job and 1.0.23 is
> available in 2.6.38 sid package and 1.0.24 in 2.6.39-rc?
> experimental. It is worse to provide a paralell source package.
> Removing this package will flush maintainers garbage a bit ;-) Users
> who want to build their own driver should be able to customize a
> kernelbuild [0]
>
> What do you think?

Fine by me.

Luke


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110519041644.GA4615@strigy.yelavich.home">http://lists.debian.org/20110519041644.GA4615@strigy.yelavich.home
 
Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Jordi Mallach
 
Default alsa-source

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:11:59PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
> > from alsa-driver.
> I'd be very happy with this.

Yeah, let's totally do this.

Elimar, was Ben's patch upstreamed? I guess it's still a good idea to
upstream it, even if we're not going to use it anymore.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez -- Debian developer http://www.debian.org/
jordi@sindominio.net jordi@debian.org http://www.sindominio.net/
GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110520182039.GB8535@aigua.oskuro.net">http://lists.debian.org/20110520182039.GB8535@aigua.oskuro.net
 
Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Elimar Riesebieter
 
Default alsa-source

* Jordi Mallach [110520 20:20 +0200]:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:11:59PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
> > > from alsa-driver.
> > I'd be very happy with this.
>
> Yeah, let's totally do this.
>
> Elimar, was Ben's patch upstreamed?

Not by me. I am not sure the patches would apply to 1.0.24, Else I
am not able to answer upcoming questions by i.e Takashi or Jaroslav.....

There was one thing: patched alsa-sources compiled well with a
Debian kernel but not with a customized vanilla one. Unpatched it is
the other way round, though.

> I guess it's still a good idea to
> upstream it, even if we're not going to use it anymore.

I agree!

Elimar
--
It's a good thing we don't get all
the government we pay for.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110524193955.GC3904@samweis.home.lxtec.de">http://lists.debian.org/20110524193955.GC3904@samweis.home.lxtec.de
 
Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default alsa-source

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 21:39 +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> * Jordi Mallach [110520 20:20 +0200]:
> > On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:11:59PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > > from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
> > > > from alsa-driver.
> > > I'd be very happy with this.
> >
> > Yeah, let's totally do this.
> >
> > Elimar, was Ben's patch upstreamed?
>
> Not by me. I am not sure the patches would apply to 1.0.24, Else I
> am not able to answer upcoming questions by i.e Takashi or Jaroslav.....
>
> There was one thing: patched alsa-sources compiled well with a
> Debian kernel but not with a customized vanilla one. Unpatched it is
> the other way round, though.
[...]

I didn't explicitly test that but it was certainly meant to work. I'll
try to have another go at it this in the next few weeks.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org