-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   alsa-source (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/527960-alsa-source.html)

Elimar Riesebieter 05-18-2011 06:05 PM

alsa-source

Hi Gents,

from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
from alsa-driver. The kernel team does a good job and 1.0.23 is
available in 2.6.38 sid package and 1.0.24 in 2.6.39-rc?
experimental. It is worse to provide a paralell source package.
Removing this package will flush maintainers garbage a bit ;-) Users
who want to build their own driver should be able to customize a
kernelbuild [0]

What do you think?

Elimar

[0] http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html

--
Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it!

Ben Hutchings 05-18-2011 07:11 PM

alsa-source

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:05:52PM +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> Hi Gents,
>
> from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
> from alsa-driver. The kernel team does a good job and 1.0.23 is
> available in 2.6.38 sid package and 1.0.24 in 2.6.39-rc?
> experimental. It is worse to provide a paralell source package.
> Removing this package will flush maintainers garbage a bit ;-) Users
> who want to build their own driver should be able to customize a
> kernelbuild [0]
>
> What do you think?

I'd be very happy with this.

You could also get rid of linux-sound-base and leave it to the oss4
maintainers to screw around with blacklists. OSS is unmaintained
within mainline Linux and is not included in our Linux configurations.

I'm not sure quite what purpose alsa-base would serve, either.

Ben,

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Luke Yelavich 05-19-2011 04:16 AM

alsa-source

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 04:05:52AM EST, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> Hi Gents,
>
> from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
> from alsa-driver. The kernel team does a good job and 1.0.23 is
> available in 2.6.38 sid package and 1.0.24 in 2.6.39-rc?
> experimental. It is worse to provide a paralell source package.
> Removing this package will flush maintainers garbage a bit ;-) Users
> who want to build their own driver should be able to customize a
> kernelbuild [0]
>
> What do you think?

Fine by me.

Luke

Jordi Mallach 05-20-2011 06:20 PM

alsa-source

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:11:59PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
> > from alsa-driver.
> I'd be very happy with this.

Yeah, let's totally do this.

Elimar, was Ben's patch upstreamed? I guess it's still a good idea to
upstream it, even if we're not going to use it anymore.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez -- Debian developer http://www.debian.org/
jordi@sindominio.net jordi@debian.org http://www.sindominio.net/

Elimar Riesebieter 05-24-2011 07:39 PM

alsa-source

* Jordi Mallach [110520 20:20 +0200]:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:11:59PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > from my point of view we should orphan alsa-source and cancel it
> > > from alsa-driver.
> > I'd be very happy with this.
>
> Yeah, let's totally do this.
>
> Elimar, was Ben's patch upstreamed?

Not by me. I am not sure the patches would apply to 1.0.24, Else I
am not able to answer upcoming questions by i.e Takashi or Jaroslav.....

There was one thing: patched alsa-sources compiled well with a
Debian kernel but not with a customized vanilla one. Unpatched it is
the other way round, though.

> I guess it's still a good idea to
> upstream it, even if we're not going to use it anymore.

I agree!

Elimar
--
It's a good thing we don't get all
the government we pay for.

Ben Hutchings 05-25-2011 01:11 AM

alsa-source

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 21:39 +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> * Jordi Mallach [110520 20:20 +0200]:
> > > I'd be very happy with this.
> >
> > Yeah, let's totally do this.
> >
> > Elimar, was Ben's patch upstreamed?
>
> Not by me. I am not sure the patches would apply to 1.0.24, Else I
> am not able to answer upcoming questions by i.e Takashi or Jaroslav.....
>
> There was one thing: patched alsa-sources compiled well with a
> Debian kernel but not with a customized vanilla one. Unpatched it is
> the other way round, though.
[...]

I didn't explicitly test that but it was certainly meant to work. I'll
try to have another go at it this in the next few weeks.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings