FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-12-2011, 05:07 AM
Finn Thain
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

On Thu, 12 May 2011, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> > arch/m68k/mac/misc.c: In function 'mac_hwclk':
> > arch/m68k/mac/misc.c:309: warning: 'result' may be used uninitialized in this function
> > arch/m68k/mac/misc.c:309: note: 'result' was declared here
>
> It is used before initialisation on the first iteration through line
> 326. I think it would be reasonable to initialise result.idata to 0
> before entering the loop.

I recently wrote a patch that initialises result.idata using data from the
RTC (which would be the intended algorithm as described in the comments)
but I have not sent the patch as I have not yet found time to test it.

>
> > drivers/scsi/mac_scsi.c:220:5: warning: "NDEBUG_ABORT" is not defined
> > drivers/scsi/mac_scsi.c:271:5: warning: "NDEBUG_ABORT" is not defined
>
> Should be #ifdef NDEBUG, not #if NDEBUG.
>

I patched this one years ago but decided against sending any mac_scsi
patches until there was a plan for addressing other issues with NCR5380
and mac_scsi...

Thanks Ben, for your exhaustive analysis of the compiler warnings.

Finn


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: alpine.OSX.2.00.1105121455430.218@ibook.intranet"> http://lists.debian.org/alpine.OSX.2.00.1105121455430.218@ibook.intranet
 
Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 AM
Geert Uytterhoeven
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 04:36, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>> <stdin>:1522:2: warning: #warning syscall recvmmsg not implemented
>
> Missing feature on m68k.

False positive, as this is implemented via the sys_socketcall() demultiplexer.

>> drivers/net/wireless/p54/main.c: In function 'p54_register_common':
>> drivers/net/wireless/p54/main.c:614: warning: unused variable 'priv'
>> drivers/net/wireless/p54/main.c: In function 'p54_unregister_common':
>> drivers/net/wireless/p54/main.c:656: warning: unused variable 'priv'
>
> Fixed in 2.6.39.

Do we really want to compile wireless on m68k? AFAIK we don't have any.

>> CC [M] *drivers/net/zorro8390.o
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:256: warning: '__ei_tx_timeout' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:302: warning: '__ei_start_xmit' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:526: warning: '__ei_poll' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:879: warning: '__ei_get_stats' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:981: warning: '__ei_set_multicast_list' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:1016: warning: '____alloc_ei_netdev' defined but not used
>
> It looks like zorro8390.c should be using these functions instead of the
> corresponding functions without the double-underscore prefixes. *At the
> moment it's using some functions built from the #included lib8390.c
> using the special definition of EI_SHIFT (from zorro8390.c), and some
> functions exported from the 8390 module, which are built with the
> default definition of EI_SHIFT (from 8390.h).
>
>> CC [M] *drivers/net/hydra.o
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:256: warning: '__ei_tx_timeout' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:302: warning: '__ei_start_xmit' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:526: warning: '__ei_poll' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:879: warning: '__ei_get_stats' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:981: warning: '__ei_set_multicast_list' defined but not used
>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:1016: warning: '____alloc_ei_netdev' defined but not used
>
> Similar issue in hydra.c.

Will be fixed. Turned out to be a real bug recently.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

* * * * * * * * * * * * Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@linux-m68k.org

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ** ** -- Linus Torvalds


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTikT29u7CYv+2htP08bfi=u3q_bLQQ@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTikT29u7CYv+2htP08bfi=u3q_bLQQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Brad Boyer
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 07:38:22AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Do we really want to compile wireless on m68k? AFAIK we don't have any.

I don't think we have any drivers working right now, but if we ever
fix PCMCIA support for real on any of the systems with slots we could
get the orinoco_cs driver working. I don't have the time, but I do
have a PowerBook 190 and some PCMCIA cards to try out. It's on the
very long list of things I'd like to look at eventually.

Brad Boyer
flar@allandria.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110512071514.GA7683@cynthia.pants.nu">http://lists.debian.org/20110512071514.GA7683@cynthia.pants.nu
 
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Finn Thain
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

On Thu, 12 May 2011, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> Do we really want to compile wireless on m68k? AFAIK we don't have any.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-m68k&m=128628785718187&w=2

I suspect this list is also applicable to atari and amiga (?)

Finn


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: alpine.OSX.2.00.1105121719490.218@ibook.intranet"> http://lists.debian.org/alpine.OSX.2.00.1105121719490.218@ibook.intranet
 
Old 05-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Thorsten Glaser
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

Ben Hutchings dixit:

>Anyway, I don't think the TPM drivers could be used on most non-x86
>architectures. We should just disable them.

Yes, these are good candidates for being left out. WLAN devices
probably as well, but I’ll leave that to the platform experts
to decide. (Most TPMs are included in the chipset anyway, but
there _may_ be some externally addressed ones, yet I don’t know
if they have ever been used on non-i386 (or amd64, I suppose)
machines.)

>> drivers/net/lib8390.c:256: warning: '__ei_tx_timeout' defined but not used

There’s an ongoing discussion about the 8390-using network
drivers, they’re working on fixing it.

>> WARNING: modpost: Found 1 section mismatch(es).
>> To see full details build your kernel with:
>> 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
>
>Don't know; do what it says if you care.

OK, will do that. Will they show up when cross-compiling?


Thanks for looking into it, I hope the respective code
gurus can/will fix the issues.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
If Harry Potter gets a splitting headache in his scar
when he’s near Tom Riddle (aka Voldemort),
does Tom get pain in the arse when Harry is near him?
-- me, wondering why it’s not Jerry Potter………


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: Pine.BSM.4.64L.1105120727490.17273@herc.mirbsd.org ">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSM.4.64L.1105120727490.17273@herc.mirbsd.org
 
Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Geert Uytterhoeven
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 09:31, Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> wrote:
>>> WARNING: modpost: Found 1 section mismatch(es).
>>> To see full details build your kernel with:
>>> 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
>>
>>Don't know; do what it says if you care.
>
> OK, will do that. Will they show up when cross-compiling?

Yes they do. I just haven't got to fixing them.
Patches are accepted :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

* * * * * * * * * * * * Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@linux-m68k.org

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ** ** -- Linus Torvalds


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTi=+HVDfcS4JUh_pv6yM5xqa7jNP6Q@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi=+HVDfcS4JUh_pv6yM5xqa7jNP6Q@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Geert Uytterhoeven
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 09:24, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2011, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>
>> Do we really want to compile wireless on m68k? AFAIK we don't have any.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-m68k&m=128628785718187&w=2
>
> I suspect this list is also applicable to atari and amiga (?)

Yeah, I should look into updating the defconfigs again.

Haven't done that anymore since the concept of minimal defconfigs was
introduced, as I'm still a bit worried if I can trust them or not (options not
mentioned in the minimal defconfig may silently change their value
depending on Kconfig logic; with the full ones I would immeditaly notice).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

* * * * * * * * * * * * Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@linux-m68k.org

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ** ** -- Linus Torvalds


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTi=Fz_wT3j_CEqWJDqbpRxLkAsq_XA@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi=Fz_wT3j_CEqWJDqbpRxLkAsq_XA@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Thorsten Glaser
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

Geert Uytterhoeven dixit:

>> I suspect this list is also applicable to atari and amiga (?)
>
>Yeah, I should look into updating the defconfigs again.

Mh. Debian provides their own configs as well though,
I think Wouter/Stephen/cts should have a look at them.

(You should have seen the comments by one about why I
would want to disable CONFIG_STAGING although that was
already in the 2.6.32 tree…)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
[00:02] <Vutral> gecko: benutzt du emacs ?
[00:03] <gecko> nö [00:03] <gecko> nur n normalen mac
[00:04] <Vutral> argl [00:04] <Vutral> ne den editor
-- Vutral und gecko2 in #deutsch (NB: Editor? Betriebssystem.)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: Pine.BSM.4.64L.1105120750500.17273@herc.mirbsd.org ">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSM.4.64L.1105120750500.17273@herc.mirbsd.org
 
Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Finn Thain
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

On Thu, 12 May 2011, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 09:24, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 12 May 2011, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> >
> >> Do we really want to compile wireless on m68k? AFAIK we don't have
> >> any.
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-m68k&m=128628785718187&w=2
> >
> > I suspect this list is also applicable to atari and amiga (?)

Excepting the PS2 mouse I should add. (And is there PCMCIA on
atari/amiga?)

>
> Yeah, I should look into updating the defconfigs again.
>
> Haven't done that anymore since the concept of minimal defconfigs was
> introduced, as I'm still a bit worried if I can trust them or not

Fair enough.

> (options not mentioned in the minimal defconfig may silently change
> their value depending on Kconfig logic; with the full ones I would
> immeditaly notice).

One solution is to fix the cruft in the Debian configs and then push those
upstream (that is, after running them through a mainline "make oldconfig"
to filter out the stuff that Debian's patches have introduced).

The upstream defconfigs aren't really needed by upstream developers except
for smoke testing the build. Downstream configs are useful for that too
and would also be useful to have in the mainline for end users who need to
build mainline kernels (which has been helpful for mac68k driver updates
in the past).

Finn

>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * Geert
>
 
Old 05-13-2011, 04:44 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default linux-2.6_2.6.38-5_m68k.changes ACCEPTED

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 03:36 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> > warning: (NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_REALM) selects NET_CLS_ROUTE which has unmet direct dependencies (NET && NET_SCHED)
>
> The dependencies for NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_REALM should be fixed. But why
> is NET_SCHED disabled on m68k, anyway?

Fixed in 2.6.39.

[...]
> > drivers/char/tpm/tpm_tis.c:96: warning: 'is_itpm' defined but not used
>
> The definition of this function should be conditional on CONFIG_PNP.
>
> Anyway, I don't think the TPM drivers could be used on most non-x86
> architectures. We should just disable them.

Disabled on trunk.

[...]
> > CC [M] drivers/net/zorro8390.o
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:256: warning: '__ei_tx_timeout' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:302: warning: '__ei_start_xmit' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:526: warning: '__ei_poll' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:879: warning: '__ei_get_stats' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:981: warning: '__ei_set_multicast_list' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:1016: warning: '____alloc_ei_netdev' defined but not used
>
> It looks like zorro8390.c should be using these functions instead of the
> corresponding functions without the double-underscore prefixes. At the
> moment it's using some functions built from the #included lib8390.c
> using the special definition of EI_SHIFT (from zorro8390.c), and some
> functions exported from the 8390 module, which are built with the
> default definition of EI_SHIFT (from 8390.h).
>
> > CC [M] drivers/net/hydra.o
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:256: warning: '__ei_tx_timeout' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:302: warning: '__ei_start_xmit' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:526: warning: '__ei_poll' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:879: warning: '__ei_get_stats' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:981: warning: '__ei_set_multicast_list' defined but not used
> > drivers/net/lib8390.c:1016: warning: '____alloc_ei_netdev' defined but not used
>
> Similar issue in hydra.c.

Both fixed by Geert in net-2.6 and cc'd to stable.

[...]
> > drivers/video/mb862xx/mb862xxfb.c:326: warning: 'mb862xxfb_init_fbinfo' defined but not used
> > drivers/video/mb862xx/mb862xxfb.c:464: warning: 'dev_attr_dispregs' defined but not used
>
> Bug in the Kconfig. This driver should not be built on non-PCI
> machines.
[...]

I've sent a patch to the video maintainer.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org