FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
maximilian attems
 
Default Bug#596626:

please have a look at http://bugs.debian.org/596626

thanks.

--
maks

----- Forwarded message from Geoff Simmons <gsimmons@gsimmons.org> -----

Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 20:51:49 +1000
From: Geoff Simmons <gsimmons@gsimmons.org>
To: maximilian attems <max@stro.at>, 596626@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Bug#596626: Please support Linksys WUSB600N v2 WiFi USB stick
X-Original-To: maks@stro.at
X-Original-To: lists-debian-kernel@liszt.debian.org

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:12:55AM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:24:34PM +1000, Geoff Simmons wrote:
> > Recognition of this device (USB ID 1737:0079) by the rt2800usb driver
> > currently requires RT2800USB_UNKNOWN to be enabled.
>
> strange it is listed in the dev table
> { USB_DEVICE(0x1737, 0x0079), USB_DEVICE_DATA(&rt2800usb_ops) },
> and even since long it seems:
> git name-rev 5e312589
> 5e312589 tags/v2.6.33-rc3~44^2^2~15

It is listed, but only incorporated in rt2800usb_device_table[] if
RT2800USB_UNKNOWN is set:

#ifdef CONFIG_RT2800USB_UNKNOWN
/*
* Unclear what kind of devices these are (they aren't supported by the
* vendor linux driver).
*/
[...]
/* Linksys */
[...]
{ USB_DEVICE(0x1737, 0x0079), USB_DEVICE_DATA(&rt2800usb_ops) },

As mentioned by Jan, the device contains a RT3572 chipset. Its entry
could moved into the section for known RT35XX devices (i.e. "#ifdef
CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX") as an alternative.

Geoff



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20110511105149.GC2664@chmmr.gsimmons.org


----- End forwarded message -----



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110511142330.GF4387@vostochny.stro.at">http://lists.debian.org/20110511142330.GF4387@vostochny.stro.at
 
Old 05-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Walter Goldens
 
Default Bug#596626:

> As mentioned by Jan, the device contains a RT3572
> chipset.* Its entry
> could moved into the section for known RT35XX devices (i.e.
> "#ifdef
> CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX") as an alternative.
>
> Geoff

This has already been done: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=commitdiff;h=ce2919c9fffe2aa52f9c3e32 7176d03764dbf9b5



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 13602.31426.qm@web161615.mail.bf1.yahoo.com">http://lists.debian.org/13602.31426.qm@web161615.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
 
Old 05-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#596626:

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 09:25 -0700, Walter Goldens wrote:
> > As mentioned by Jan, the device contains a RT3572
> > chipset. Its entry
> > could moved into the section for known RT35XX devices (i.e.
> > "#ifdef
> > CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX") as an alternative.
> >
> > Geoff
>
> This has already been done: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=commitdiff;h=ce2919c9fffe2aa52f9c3e32 7176d03764dbf9b5

That's all very well, but that isn't going to get into a stable release
for another 3 months! Device ID updates that don't require new
supporting code should be sent upstream straight away (and cc'd to
stable@kernel.org).

I've cherry-picked this and the other two updates in rt2800usb that
aren't in Linus's tree, but that doesn't help the users of other
distributions that would benefit from them.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 
Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Ivo Van Doorn
 
Default Bug#596626:

Hi,

>> > As mentioned by Jan, the device contains a RT3572
>> > chipset. *Its entry
>> > could moved into the section for known RT35XX devices (i.e.
>> > "#ifdef
>> > CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX") as an alternative.
>> >
>> > Geoff
>>
>> This has already been done: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=commitdiff;h=ce2919c9fffe2aa52f9c3e32 7176d03764dbf9b5
>
> That's all very well, but that isn't going to get into a stable release
> for another 3 months! *Device ID updates that don't require new
> supporting code should be sent upstream straight away (and cc'd to
> stable@kernel.org).

The patch has been send upstream, it has been in wireless-next-2.6.git
since April 19...
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-next-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ce2919c9fffe2aa52f9c3e327176d03 764dbf9b5
The patch depends on the RT53xx support patch which was also intented
for 2.6.40.

> I've cherry-picked this and the other two updates in rt2800usb that
> aren't in Linus's tree, but that doesn't help the users of other
> distributions that would benefit from them.

True, but the normal flow for new features and hardware support is that they
should be properly merged during the normal merge window. The addition
of support of RT53xx is not something that should go to stable@kernel.org...

Patches from rt2x00.git are quite quickly send from rt2x00.git to upstream,
and patches which are not send upstream directly have a reason for not being
send at that time (Usually it means that it requires some extra testing).

Ivo



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTim75f2p8wXyfeoz02asRd+Qm9aepA@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTim75f2p8wXyfeoz02asRd+Qm9aepA@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Gertjan van Wingerde
 
Default Bug#596626:

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 09:25 -0700, Walter Goldens wrote:
>> > As mentioned by Jan, the device contains a RT3572
>> > chipset. *Its entry
>> > could moved into the section for known RT35XX devices (i.e.
>> > "#ifdef
>> > CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX") as an alternative.
>> >
>> > Geoff
>>
>> This has already been done: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=commitdiff;h=ce2919c9fffe2aa52f9c3e32 7176d03764dbf9b5
>
> That's all very well, but that isn't going to get into a stable release
> for another 3 months! *Device ID updates that don't require new
> supporting code should be sent upstream straight away (and cc'd to
> stable@kernel.org).
>
> I've cherry-picked this and the other two updates in rt2800usb that
> aren't in Linus's tree, but that doesn't help the users of other
> distributions that would benefit from them.

Well, as this moving of the USB ID to a different (now named) set of
USB IDs in the code is not going to help the users,
as rt2x00 currently does not have support for RT35xx devices yet. Some
patches have been submitted for their support,
but these haven't been accepted (and thus applied) yet.

There's a reason why the Kconfig for these devices is stating that
support for these devices is non-functional!!!

That's why it didn't make sense to send this patch upstream
immediately and sending it to stable made even less sense.

---
Gertjan



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTi=Wz3E3O0jn_iuduAxJj_QwjNwqww@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi=Wz3E3O0jn_iuduAxJj_QwjNwqww@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#596626:

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 09:17 +0200, Ivo Van Doorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> > As mentioned by Jan, the device contains a RT3572
> >> > chipset. Its entry
> >> > could moved into the section for known RT35XX devices (i.e.
> >> > "#ifdef
> >> > CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX") as an alternative.
> >> >
> >> > Geoff
> >>
> >> This has already been done: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=commitdiff;h=ce2919c9fffe2aa52f9c3e32 7176d03764dbf9b5
> >
> > That's all very well, but that isn't going to get into a stable release
> > for another 3 months! Device ID updates that don't require new
> > supporting code should be sent upstream straight away (and cc'd to
> > stable@kernel.org).
>
> The patch has been send upstream, it has been in wireless-next-2.6.git
> since April 19...
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-next-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ce2919c9fffe2aa52f9c3e327176d03 764dbf9b5
> The patch depends on the RT53xx support patch which was also intented
> for 2.6.40.

What is it, RT35XX or RT53XX?!

> > I've cherry-picked this and the other two updates in rt2800usb that
> > aren't in Linus's tree, but that doesn't help the users of other
> > distributions that would benefit from them.
>
> True, but the normal flow for new features and hardware support is that they
> should be properly merged during the normal merge window. The addition
> of support of RT53xx is not something that should go to stable@kernel.org...

I understand that.

Ben.

> Patches from rt2x00.git are quite quickly send from rt2x00.git to upstream,
> and patches which are not send upstream directly have a reason for not being
> send at that time (Usually it means that it requires some extra testing).
>
> Ivo
>

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 
Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Ivo Van Doorn
 
Default Bug#596626:

Hi,

>> >> > As mentioned by Jan, the device contains a RT3572
>> >> > chipset. *Its entry
>> >> > could moved into the section for known RT35XX devices (i.e.
>> >> > "#ifdef
>> >> > CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX") as an alternative.
>> >> >
>> >> > Geoff
>> >>
>> >> This has already been done: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=commitdiff;h=ce2919c9fffe2aa52f9c3e32 7176d03764dbf9b5
>> >
>> > That's all very well, but that isn't going to get into a stable release
>> > for another 3 months! *Device ID updates that don't require new
>> > supporting code should be sent upstream straight away (and cc'd to
>> > stable@kernel.org).
>>
>> The patch has been send upstream, it has been in wireless-next-2.6.git
>> since April 19...
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-next-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ce2919c9fffe2aa52f9c3e327176d03 764dbf9b5
>> The patch depends on the RT53xx support patch which was also intented
>> for 2.6.40.
>
> What is it, RT35XX or RT53XX?!

Oh sorry, RT35xx in this case, but basically the rest of the reply
still applies.
Both chipsets series have the same experimental state.

Ivo



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinPGw2jMT-uKYrW5i2pUqxmr3Lo_w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinPGw2jMT-uKYrW5i2pUqxmr3Lo_w@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org