Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Paolo Scarabelli

Default Problem with kernel 2.6.38

Hi, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask.

I have a weird problem with a Debian testing (Wheezy) install,
gnome-settings-daemon keeps crashing whenever I boot with kernel 2.6.38.

With other kernel releases (2.6.32 and 2.6.39) I have no problem at all,
I initially filed a bug report (#619457) with the Debian Gnome
maintainers [1] but I now suspect it could be a bug in a kernel module
so I would like to reassign it to the Debian Kernel Team.

If you have the time, could you please have a look at the bug report and
let me know if you think it's a kernel problem?

Please reply directly to my email address as I'm not a debian-kernel
list subscriber.

Thanks,

Paolo.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 13:50 +0800, Paolo Scarabelli wrote:
> Hi, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask.
>
> I have a weird problem with a Debian testing (Wheezy) install,
> gnome-settings-daemon keeps crashing whenever I boot with kernel 2.6.38.
>
> With other kernel releases (2.6.32 and 2.6.39) I have no problem at all,
> I initially filed a bug report (#619457) with the Debian Gnome
> maintainers [1] but I now suspect it could be a bug in a kernel module
> so I would like to reassign it to the Debian Kernel Team.
[...]

It sounds like there are 2 bugs:

1. The kernel is reporting spurious changes in the connected displays
(hence the flickering between 2x3 and 2x4 workspaces).
2. There is a race condition in handling these changes in
gnome-settings-daemon which causes it to crash.

Therefore, please clone your bug report and reassign the clone.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Paolo Scarabelli

Hi Ben,

As you suggested I cloned and reassigned the bug report, the new one is
#625806.

Thank you for your help,

Paolo.