-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   progress toward split-image support (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/520081-progress-toward-split-image-support.html)

Will Woods 04-29-2011 10:44 PM

progress toward split-image support

...So, in the course of working on the split-image support I ended up
refactoring the way that lorax is handling the arch-specific parts of
image creation (basically, the stuff in images.py).

The work is going on in the "treebuilder" branch (Warning: I'll probably
rebase it repeatedly, so expect to have to git pull -f if you clone it),
and the interesting bit is this:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=lorax.git;a=commit;h=1cbe33d2d1ea5d0b1f6edf2376 b73b6cfa4e4c06

Basically, since we're using mako templates for making the runtime, why
not use them for making the boot images and the tree as well?

It's an incomplete, untested work-in-progress.. but it should have
approximately the same featureset as current master.
I think the templates are a lot easier to follow than the code in
images.py. For example, sparc.tmpl:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=lorax.git;a=blob;hb=treebuilder;f=src/pylorax/sparc.tmpl

It's definitely a lot less code:

I should have it producing images early next week, so please withhold
judgement on the particulars of the code 'til I have it more complete.

But I wanted to give you all some idea what I was working on, and give
us a chance to talk about the overall design and such.

Let me know what you think!

-w

Chris Lumens 05-03-2011 07:36 PM

progress toward split-image support

> Basically, since we're using mako templates for making the runtime, why
> not use them for making the boot images and the tree as well?
>
> It's an incomplete, untested work-in-progress.. but it should have
> approximately the same featureset as current master.
> I think the templates are a lot easier to follow than the code in
> images.py. For example, sparc.tmpl:
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=lorax.git;a=blob;hb=treebuilder;f=src/pylorax/sparc.tmpl
>
> It's definitely a lot less code:

I've said this in IRC, but I'll say it in email just for whoever wasn't
paying attention. I think this is the right direction. We've already
bought into the mako template syntax, so we might as well use it. It
also looks like a reasonable thing to do, though I do have some minor
quibbles with certain pieces of syntax. But that's nothing that should
prevent you from continuing to work on it.

- Chris

Martin Gracik 05-04-2011 06:22 AM

progress toward split-image support

I was planning to move almost everything into the template myself, after these split image patches went in, but you beat me to it, so I approve.

--

Martin Gracik