Old 04-28-2011, 03:25 PM
bartek szurgot

Default easycap.ko absence

hi,

why easycap.ko module, for usbframe grabber (device 05e1:0408) is not
compiled as a module into the distribution's (amd64/testing) kernel
(2.6.38-2-amd64)?
$ grep EASYCAP /boot/config-2.6.38-2-amd64
# CONFIG_EASYCAP is not set
this driver is nowadays part of vanilla kernel, not marked as
experimental. i've compiled it manually and it worked with my device out
of the box. are there any plans to include this driver in future kernel
packages?

--

pozdrawiam serdecznie / best regards,
bartek szurgot

http://www.baszerr.org
(public key: http://www.baszerr.org/lib/exe/fetch.php/about_me/basz_pub_key.txt)

Old 04-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 05:39:59PM +0200, bartek szurgot wrote:
> hi,
>
> why easycap.ko module, for usb frame grabber (device 05e1:0408) is not
> compiled as a module into the distribution's (amd64/testing) kernel
> (2.6.38-2-amd64)?
> $ grep EASYCAP /boot/config-2.6.38-2-amd64
> # CONFIG_EASYCAP is not set
> this driver is nowadays part of vanilla kernel, not marked as
> experimental. i've compiled it manually and it worked with my device out
> of the box. are there any plans to include this driver in future kernel
> packages?

Staging modules are generally enabled on request, not by default.
Please report this as a 'wishlist' bug, and we will probably add it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus