FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Maik Zumstrull
 
Default Bug#624131: linux-image-2.6.39-rc4-686-pae: Can somewhat reliably produce kernel panic in btrfs code

Package: linux-image-2.6.39-rc4-686-pae
Version: 2.6.39~rc4-1~experimental.1
Severity: normal
Tags: experimental

By simply stressing the system with some I/O, I can make it crash within
seconds. I'm not setting a higher severity because the bug is in an
experimental file system in an experimental kernel.

Here's the important bits (by my guess) I have on screen from the kernel panic:

Bug at fs/btrfs/free-space-cache.c:1246
Bug type: invalid opcode: 0000
Kernel not tainted, running on an ASUSTek 1005HAG
EIP is at btrfs_add_free_space+0x285/0x39a [btrfs]



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTikiVMbH0BU4xTZirNDUu=GhG0ooyg@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTikiVMbH0BU4xTZirNDUu=GhG0ooyg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#624131: linux-image-2.6.39-rc4-686-pae: Can somewhat reliably produce kernel panic in btrfs code

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 22:05 +0200, Maik Zumstrull wrote:
> Package: linux-image-2.6.39-rc4-686-pae
> Version: 2.6.39~rc4-1~experimental.1
> Severity: normal
> Tags: experimental
>
> By simply stressing the system with some I/O, I can make it crash within
> seconds. I'm not setting a higher severity because the bug is in an
> experimental file system in an experimental kernel.

I assume this doesn't happen in 2.6.38?

> Here's the important bits (by my guess) I have on screen from the kernel panic:
>
> Bug at fs/btrfs/free-space-cache.c:1246
> Bug type: invalid opcode: 0000
> Kernel not tainted, running on an ASUSTek 1005HAG
> EIP is at btrfs_add_free_space+0x285/0x39a [btrfs]

You will probably need to provide a more complete copy of the panic
message. Let's see what the btrfs developers say.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 
Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Maik Zumstrull
 
Default Bug#624131: linux-image-2.6.39-rc4-686-pae: Can somewhat reliably produce kernel panic in btrfs code

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 22:15, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 22:05 +0200, Maik Zumstrull wrote:

>> By simply stressing the system with some I/O, I can make it crash within
>> seconds. I'm not setting a higher severity because the bug is in an
>> experimental file system in an experimental kernel.
>
> I assume this doesn't happen in 2.6.38?

Not that I've noticed. I don't use that netbook much, but given how
quickly it happens with .39, I say I would have noticed.

>> Here's the important bits (by my guess) I have on screen from the kernel panic:
>>
>> Bug at fs/btrfs/free-space-cache.c:1246
>> Bug type: invalid opcode: 0000
>> Kernel not tainted, running on an ASUSTek 1005HAG
>> EIP is at btrfs_add_free_space+0x285/0x39a [btrfs]
>
> You will probably need to provide a more complete copy of the panic
> message.

I thought as much, but other than taking a picture of the screen, I
don't know how. I am prepared to cooperate fully in the debugging
effort, though. :-) You or they can tell me what is required.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTikyqs0Zx-V+0+431fEAA-XWsGo73g@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTikyqs0Zx-V+0+431fEAA-XWsGo73g@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Peter Stuge
 
Default Bug#624131: linux-image-2.6.39-rc4-686-pae: Can somewhat reliably produce kernel panic in btrfs code

Maik Zumstrull wrote:
> >> Bug at fs/btrfs/free-space-cache.c:1246
> >> Bug type: invalid opcode: 0000
> >> Kernel not tainted, running on an ASUSTek 1005HAG
> >> EIP is at btrfs_add_free_space+0x285/0x39a [btrfs]
> >
> > You will probably need to provide a more complete copy of the panic
> > message.
>
> I thought as much, but other than taking a picture of the screen, I
> don't know how.

Take a picture and ideally transcribe it after reboot.


//Peter



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110425205008.11135.qmail@stuge.se">http://lists.debian.org/20110425205008.11135.qmail@stuge.se
 
Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
cwillu
 
Default Bug#624131: linux-image-2.6.39-rc4-686-pae: Can somewhat reliably produce kernel panic in btrfs code

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> Maik Zumstrull wrote:
>> >> Bug at fs/btrfs/free-space-cache.c:1246
>> >> Bug type: invalid opcode: 0000
>> >> Kernel not tainted, running on an ASUSTek 1005HAG
>> >> EIP is at btrfs_add_free_space+0x285/0x39a [btrfs]
>> >
>> > You will probably need to provide a more complete copy of the panic
>> > message.
>>
>> I thought as much, but other than taking a picture of the screen, I
>> don't know how.
>
> Take a picture and ideally transcribe it after reboot.

Known issue; josef sent a patch
(http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/10261) that
should fix it, or you can mount with clear_cache on each boot as a
workaround.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTi=VMW1bsOduH2Xn27NUQkpHiHngqw@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi=VMW1bsOduH2Xn27NUQkpHiHngqw@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#624131: linux-image-2.6.39-rc4-686-pae: Can somewhat reliably produce kernel panic in btrfs code

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 15:05 -0600, cwillu wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> > Maik Zumstrull wrote:
> >> >> Bug at fs/btrfs/free-space-cache.c:1246
> >> >> Bug type: invalid opcode: 0000
> >> >> Kernel not tainted, running on an ASUSTek 1005HAG
> >> >> EIP is at btrfs_add_free_space+0x285/0x39a [btrfs]
> >> >
> >> > You will probably need to provide a more complete copy of the panic
> >> > message.
> >>
> >> I thought as much, but other than taking a picture of the screen, I
> >> don't know how.
> >
> > Take a picture and ideally transcribe it after reboot.
>
> Known issue; josef sent a patch
> (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/10261) that
> should fix it, or you can mount with clear_cache on each boot as a
> workaround.

This fix doesn't seem to be in your for-linux branch yet. Please can
you ensure that this (or an alternate fix) is included in 2.6.39.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:01 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org