Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 PM
"Jeremiah C. Foster"

Default Introduction and greetings

Hi!

My name is Jeremiah Foster and I thought I'd join this list to
learn more about the process of creating a kernel for Debian.

I thought I'd lurk at first, though I may have a question or two
since I'd like to get to work creating a kernel for the TrimSlice.
(The TrimSlice is a Tegra2 board.)

I'm happy to do QA tasks and documentation (I'm a native English
speaker and speak Swedish) so I'll try to contribute where I can.

Regards,

Jeremiah

Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Moritz Mühlenhoff

Jeremiah C. Foster <jeremiah@jeremiahfoster.com> schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> My name is Jeremiah Foster and I thought I'd join this list to
> learn more about the process of creating a kernel for Debian.
>
> I thought I'd lurk at first, though I may have a question or two
> since I'd like to get to work creating a kernel for the TrimSlice.
> (The TrimSlice is a Tegra2 board.)
>
> I'm happy to do QA tasks and documentation (I'm a native English
> speaker and speak Swedish) so I'll try to contribute where I can.

Feel free to help with the bug triage if you're interested.
E.g. by repoking the status of forwarded bugs. If a bug is producible
with the upstream kernel and the Debian kernel doesn't deviate patchwise
we ask people to report it at bugzilla.kernel.org. This often leads to
the issue being fixed upstream, but sometimes there is no upstream
reaction.

You could ping the submitters if the issue been resolved in the mean
time - without the Bugzilla status being updated - or if it's still
present. It makes sense to reraise the issue upstream in such a case.

Cheers,
Moritz

Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Jeremiah Foster

On Apr 24, 2011, at 18:30, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:

> Jeremiah C. Foster <jeremiah@jeremiahfoster.com> schrieb:
>> Hi!
>>
>> My name is Jeremiah Foster and I thought I'd join this list to
>> learn more about the process of creating a kernel for Debian.
>>
>> I thought I'd lurk at first, though I may have a question or two
>> since I'd like to get to work creating a kernel for the TrimSlice.
>> (The TrimSlice is a Tegra2 board.)
>>
>> I'm happy to do QA tasks and documentation (I'm a native English
>> speaker and speak Swedish) so I'll try to contribute where I can.
>
> Feel free to help with the bug triage if you're interested.

Sure, seems like a good place to start.

> E.g. by repoking the status of forwarded bugs.

So the start might be to look through the BTS, find kernel bugs that were forwarded and if it looks like they are dormant, see if they can be brought to life?

> If a bug is producible
> with the upstream kernel and the Debian kernel doesn't deviate patchwise
> we ask people to report it at bugzilla.kernel.org. This often leads to
> the issue being fixed upstream, but sometimes there is no upstream
> reaction.
>
> You could ping the submitters if the issue been resolved in the mean
> time - without the Bugzilla status being updated - or if it's still
> present. It makes sense to reraise the issue upstream in such a case.

So essentially we want to make sure the BTS and kernel bugzilla data is fresh and up-to-date and in sync. Makes sense to me and might give me a good overview to start. :^)

Regards,

Jeremiah

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Moritz Mühlenhoff

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah@jeremiahfoster.com> schrieb:

> On Apr 24, 2011, at 18:30, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
>
>> Jeremiah C. Foster <jeremiah@jeremiahfoster.com> schrieb:

> So the start might be to look through the BTS, find kernel bugs that were forwarded and if it looks like they are dormant, see if they can be brought to life?

Yes, and it there's no reaction from the submitter they can also be closed
(in Debian and upstream), no need to keep old bugs cluttering the BTSes.

Cheers,
Moritz

Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Crunch

Hi All,

For those who didn't get my first email, my name is Paul. I am 32 years
old. I am a South African, and currently living in Santiago Chile. I've
always been messing around or playing on PC's. When I finished high
school, I started buying books and taking courses. The first machine I
remember using was a DOS IBM 386. The only thing I did on it was play
rogue and test drive and I was thrilled by this. Right after school I
did an MCSE course, and shortly after that I heard about linux in 1998.
I started off with Redhat 4 or 5 with a 2.2 kernel and it became central
to my computing interests. I have around 10 years linux/unix support
experience, mostly networking or ISP orientated roles but also using it
personally. In a stroke, that is it.

I would like to thank you all for your hospitality. I hope I can be of
service to you and return the favor, and if there is anything I could
help with, please drop me a line. I would love to hear from you.

Regards,

Paul (Crunch)

Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Ralph Angenendt

On 06.04.2012 23:12, Crunch wrote:

> I would like to thank you all for your hospitality. I hope I can be of
> service to you and return the favor, and if there is anything I could
> help with, please drop me a line. I would love to hear from you.

I know you've been asked that before: Do you see any area of interest
you would *like* to help with?

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Crunch

On 04/06/2012 06:20 PM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> On 06.04.2012 23:12, Crunch wrote:
>
>> I would like to thank you all for your hospitality. I hope I can be of
>> service to you and return the favor, and if there is anything I could
>> help with, please drop me a line. I would love to hear from you.
> I know you've been asked that before: Do you see any area of interest
> you would *like* to help with?

I'll be honest, I'm quite happy simply being involved.