-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   quiet boot option -> reboot on panic? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/506391-quiet-boot-option-reboot-panic.html)

Håkan Johansson 03-27-2011 10:44 PM

quiet boot option -> reboot on panic?

Hi,

I've struggled with a ASUS E35M1-M PRO (AMD fusion) motherboard that with
soft-raid md resync and network load suddenly just reboots (within seconds
of starting the tasks). There is no message or anything before the
reboot. First seen with the installer, just reboot. Same thing with
installed minimal system both with the squeeze 2.6.32-5-amd64 and
2.6.38-1-amd64 kernels. I've now finally tried to remove the 'quiet'
option, and at least now I can see a panic message instead of an
immediate reboot.

Should 'quiet' make the panic become a sudden reboot?

Thanks,
Håkan

Ben Hutchings 03-27-2011 11:31 PM

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 00:44 +0200, Håkan Johansson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've struggled with a ASUS E35M1-M PRO (AMD fusion) motherboard that with
> soft-raid md resync and network load suddenly just reboots (within seconds
> of starting the tasks). There is no message or anything before the
> reboot. First seen with the installer, just reboot. Same thing with
> installed minimal system both with the squeeze 2.6.32-5-amd64 and
> 2.6.38-1-amd64 kernels. I've now finally tried to remove the 'quiet'
> option, and at least now I can see a panic message instead of an
> immediate reboot.
>
> Should 'quiet' make the panic become a sudden reboot?

No, it should not. But it could be that printing of the panic may
trigger another bug, depending on how many messages have been logged to
the console previously.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

George Kakaletris 09-24-2011 09:41 PM

quiet boot option -> reboot on panic?

Hi to all

I would like to ask a question that seems to be relevant to me:

Is there a reason for this panic in the first place ? I am experiencing exactly the same with the all versions of Squeeze amd64 up to now on the same M/B.

kind regards
george