FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 AM
Balbir Singh
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

Hi, Ben,

We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
interesting changes on the way as well.

Balbir



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTinrg0jxV8hbhGvnXs4EyHJ40xjOOonViEjLJ_iQ@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinrg0jxV8hbhGvnXs4EyHJ40xjOOonViEjLJ_iQ@mail .gmail.com
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Balbir Singh
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

Hi,

Has anybody looked at this yet?

Balbir

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Balbir Singh
<balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi, Ben,
>
> We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
> cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
> are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
> interesting changes on the way as well.
>
> Balbir
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTi=gfvBGe87a0SmHLBKg_4+6EAxtFg@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi=gfvBGe87a0SmHLBKg_4+6EAxtFg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 AM
maximilian attems
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:43:06PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anybody looked at this yet?
>
> Balbir
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Balbir Singh
> <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Hi, Ben,
> >
> > We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
> > cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
> > are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
> > interesting changes on the way as well.
> >
> > Balbir
> >

thanks for the notice, I'll just enable it for 2.6.39.

--
maks



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110511113331.GC4387@vostochny.stro.at">http://lists.debian.org/20110511113331.GC4387@vostochny.stro.at
 
Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 PM
maximilian attems
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:33:31AM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:43:06PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > Hi, Ben,
> > >
> > > We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
> > > cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
> > > are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
> > > interesting changes on the way as well.

could you point to the relevant commits?

> thanks for the notice, I'll just enable it for 2.6.39.

did that for now, but aboves notice would be cool.

thanks

--
maks



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110511120810.GD4387@vostochny.stro.at">http://lists.debian.org/20110511120810.GD4387@vostochny.stro.at
 
Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
maximilian attems
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:08:10PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:33:31AM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:43:06PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > > <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > > Hi, Ben,
> > > >
> > > > We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
> > > > cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
> > > > are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
> > > > interesting changes on the way as well.
>
> could you point to the relevant commits?

so unless this information comes along soon,
I'll revert my change.

cheers

--
maks



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110512115325.GC3252@vostochny.stro.at">http://lists.debian.org/20110512115325.GC3252@vostochny.stro.at
 
Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 11:53 +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:08:10PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:33:31AM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:43:06PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > > > <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > > > Hi, Ben,
> > > > >
> > > > > We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
> > > > > cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
> > > > > are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
> > > > > interesting changes on the way as well.
> >
> > could you point to the relevant commits?
>
> so unless this information comes along soon,
> I'll revert my change.

I prepared a patch to make memory cgroups built-in but disabled by
default (message #31). The overhead then should be very small, but I
still haven't spent the time to measure it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Balbir Singh
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

* maximilian attems <maks@debian.org> [2011-05-12 11:53:25]:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:08:10PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:33:31AM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:43:06PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > > > <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > > > Hi, Ben,
> > > > >
> > > > > We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
> > > > > cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
> > > > > are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
> > > > > interesting changes on the way as well.
> >
> > could you point to the relevant commits?
>
> so unless this information comes along soon,
> I'll revert my change.
>

There are just so many of them, I am not sure where to start. Let me
try

From

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=history;f=mm/memcontrol.c;h=010f9166fa6ea099b7ab7b5ccdefe7af8cf 033f4;hb=HEAD

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=483c30b514bd3037fa3f19fa423 27c94c10f51c8
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=854ffa8d104e44111fec96764c0e0cb 29223d54c
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=cdec2e4265dfa09490601b00aeabd8a 8d4af30f0
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=569b846df54ffb2827b83ce3244c5f0 32394cba4
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=0c3e73e84fe3f64cf1c2e8bb4e91e89 01cbcdc38
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7ffd4ca7a2cdd7a18f0b499a4e9e0e7 cf36ba018
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=5564e88ba6fd2f6dcd83a592771810c d84b5ae80
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=3403968d7a7dc373901cad0cad56b3a fcb09cc50





--
Three Cheers,
Balbir



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110513102756.GC22412@balbir.in.ibm.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110513102756.GC22412@balbir.in.ibm.com
 
Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Balbir Singh
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

* maximilian attems <maks@debian.org> [2011-05-12 11:53:25]:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:08:10PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:33:31AM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:43:06PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > > > <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > > > Hi, Ben,
> > > > >
> > > > > We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
> > > > > cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
> > > > > are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
> > > > > interesting changes on the way as well.
> >
> > could you point to the relevant commits?
>
> so unless this information comes along soon,
> I'll revert my change.
>

I sent some information earlier, I hope it was useful. BTW, I don't
see memory cgroups enabled in debian experimental (changelog), should I be looking
elsewhere?

--
Three Cheers,
Balbir



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110520120517.GH3139@balbir.in.ibm.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110520120517.GH3139@balbir.in.ibm.com
 
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 17:35 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> * maximilian attems <maks@debian.org> [2011-05-12 11:53:25]:
>
> > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:08:10PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:33:31AM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:43:06PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > > > > <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > > > > Hi, Ben,
> > > > > >
> > > > > > We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
> > > > > > cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
> > > > > > are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
> > > > > > interesting changes on the way as well.
> > >
> > > could you point to the relevant commits?
> >
> > so unless this information comes along soon,
> > I'll revert my change.
> >
>
> I sent some information earlier, I hope it was useful. BTW, I don't
> see memory cgroups enabled in debian experimental (changelog), should I be looking
> elsewhere?

They're enabled in 2.6.39-1 (in sid). However, I actually meant them to
be disabled by default, and that will be done in 2.6.39-2.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 
Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Balbir Singh
 
Default Bug#534964: Any updates on this BUG?

* Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> [2011-05-23 00:10:13]:

> On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 17:35 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > * maximilian attems <maks@debian.org> [2011-05-12 11:53:25]:
> >
> > > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:08:10PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:33:31AM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > > > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:43:06PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > > > > > <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > > > > > Hi, Ben,
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > We've made significant progress in reducing the overhead of memory
> > > > > > > cgroup subsystem. I'd request you to try it and enable it. If there
> > > > > > > are some concerns, we could always address them. There are more
> > > > > > > interesting changes on the way as well.
> > > >
> > > > could you point to the relevant commits?
> > >
> > > so unless this information comes along soon,
> > > I'll revert my change.
> > >
> >
> > I sent some information earlier, I hope it was useful. BTW, I don't
> > see memory cgroups enabled in debian experimental (changelog), should I be looking
> > elsewhere?
>
> They're enabled in 2.6.39-1 (in sid). However, I actually meant them to
> be disabled by default, and that will be done in 2.6.39-2.
>

Oops, but why do you want to disable them by default? Other distros
have them enabled, disabled implies more boot options required, lesser
testing of the feature and feedback. Is there a strong reason to
change it?



--
Three Cheers,
Balbir



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110523071330.GI3139@balbir.in.ibm.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110523071330.GI3139@balbir.in.ibm.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org