Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Frans Pop

Default D-I Etch+1/2 CD images (was: D-I Etch+1/2 kernel selection)

On Monday 04 February 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> The required patches for the installer are attached. I have successfully
> tested them using a custom built netinst CD that had both the 2.6.18 and
> 2.6.22-686 kernels on it.

The needed changes to D-I have now all been uploaded.

> - There has as yet been no discussion about exactly which "Etch + Lenny
> D-I" CD images to create and exactly what should be included on them.

I have just discussed this on #debian-cd with Sledge, and we've come up with
the following (rather brilliant) proposal.

Architectures
=============
Most architectures just do not have the type of hardware changes that will
prevent a user from installing with 2.6.18 and then upgrading to 2.6.24
after the installation, so for those new installation CDs that use and
install the new kernels are really not needed.

We therefore propose to _only_ create "etchnhalf" installation CDs for:
- i386
- amd64
- any other architectures for which a porter replies to this mail and can
demonstrate that some hardware that is not supported with the regular
Etch update, would be supported with the etchnhalf images

Images
======
We don't really want to create a huge number of extra image and certainly
not additional full sets. Not only would that waste mirror space, but too
many different images will also just confuse users.

Solution we propose is that we only create a netinst image with the
etchnhalf installer and kernels. However, this netinst image will be
modified in such a way that it can be used as "CD 0" of the regular updated
Etch full CD and DVD sets.
This idea makes use of the fact that the D-I Beta1 installer will offer to
scan additional CDs if the installation CD is part of a set.

Nice extra is that this also means that the "etchnhalf netinst" could even
be used in combination with Etch CD/DVD sets from previous (point)
releases.

Note that users of _all_ arches will have the option of using Lenny Beta1
netboot images to install Etch with the "etchnhalf" kernels.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,
FJP

Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 AM
dann frazier

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:01:53PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> > The required patches for the installer are attached. I have successfully
> > tested them using a custom built netinst CD that had both the 2.6.18 and
> > 2.6.22-686 kernels on it.
>
> The needed changes to D-I have now all been uploaded.
>
> > - There has as yet been no discussion about exactly which "Etch + Lenny
> > D-I" CD images to create and exactly what should be included on them.
>
> I have just discussed this on #debian-cd with Sledge, and we've come up with
> the following (rather brilliant) proposal.
>
> Architectures
> =============
> Most architectures just do not have the type of hardware changes that will
> prevent a user from installing with 2.6.18 and then upgrading to 2.6.24
> after the installation, so for those new installation CDs that use and
> install the new kernels are really not needed.
>
> We therefore propose to _only_ create "etchnhalf" installation CDs for:
> - i386
> - amd64
> - any other architectures for which a porter replies to this mail and can
> demonstrate that some hardware that is not supported with the regular
> Etch update, would be supported with the etchnhalf images
>
> Images
> ======
> We don't really want to create a huge number of extra image and certainly
> not additional full sets. Not only would that waste mirror space, but too
> many different images will also just confuse users.
>
> Solution we propose is that we only create a netinst image with the
> etchnhalf installer and kernels. However, this netinst image will be
> modified in such a way that it can be used as "CD 0" of the regular updated
> Etch full CD and DVD sets.
> This idea makes use of the fact that the D-I Beta1 installer will offer to
> scan additional CDs if the installation CD is part of a set.
>
> Nice extra is that this also means that the "etchnhalf netinst" could even
> be used in combination with Etch CD/DVD sets from previous (point)
> releases.

Let me try and reiterate some points of your proposal to make sure I
understand. The only install media for etchnhalf will be netinst
cds. These cds will be limited to i386, amd64, and other archs for
which a need is demonstrated.

It sounds good to me - an additional benefit is that it reduces the
number of images we need to test.

--
dann frazier

Old 02-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Frans Pop

On Friday 08 February 2008, dann frazier wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:01:53PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > I have just discussed this on #debian-cd with Sledge, and we've come up
> > with the following (rather brilliant) proposal.
[...]
> Let me try and reiterate some points of your proposal to make sure I
> understand. The only install media for etchnhalf will be netinst
> cds. These cds will be limited to i386, amd64, and other archs for
> which a need is demonstrated.

Correct, but I miss one (IMO) important point in the summary.

These netinsts can also be used *in combination with* the full CD/DVD sets
to install for example the desktop task completely from CD (without using a
mirror). This is something that is not possible with "normal" netinst CDs.
That is why I describe the "etchnhalf" netinst as "CD 0 of the full set".