Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Bastian Blank

Default Debug infos for remaining packages

Hi folks

Currently we build debug infos only for selected images for size
reasons.

A recent gcc compiler supports to not emit structure debug informations.
This drastically reduces the amount of data produced. However it also
makes it impossible to debug into structures, so it is only usefull for
gathering line numbers of problems.

This setting reduces the size by 70%:
1527674 debug-full/linux-image-2.6.37-trunk-amd64-dbg
399288 debug-full/linux-image-2.6.37-trunk-amd64-dbg_2.6.37-1~experimental.2_amd64.deb
510118 debug-reduced/linux-image-2.6.37-trunk-amd64-dbg
117152 debug-reduced/linux-image-2.6.37-trunk-amd64-dbg_2.6.37-1~experimental.2_amd64.deb

Maybe this could be used to enable the possibility to do limited
debugging on all images without emiting too much preasure on the
buildd/archive.

Bastian

--
Earth -- mother of the most beautiful women in the universe.
-- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Timo Juhani Lindfors

Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> writes:
> Maybe this could be used to enable the possibility to do limited
> debugging on all images without emiting too much preasure on the
> buildd/archive.

Probably not a bad idea. However, such partially debuggable kernels
should be marked clearly. It is not nice to spend weeks trying to
reproduce a bug and then to notice that the debug information for that
version to be minimal.

How about using "-partial-dbg" instead of "-dbg" for those? ;-)