Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Bjørn Mork

Default link_in_boot

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 20:24 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
>>
>> > This has nothing to do with where the kernel images are (they are always
>> > installed in /boot), but only to do with where the symlinks are created.
>> > The default is to create them in /, but I recall there is an option (now
>> > deprecated) to create them in /boot.
>>
>> Not related to this bug, but I was wondering: Why deprecate this
>> feature?
>
> All configuration through kernel-img.conf is deprecated. It is a legacy
> of kernel-package, and even current versions of kernel-package do not
> use it.

Ah, right. That makes sense.

>> I find it very useful for systems where I keep /boot in a separate
>> partition. Having the symlinks in the same partition allow you to
>> configure boot loaders like extlinux with the generic symlink names.
>
> They should be using hook scripts to generate a separate entry for each
> installed kernel version.

Yes, I know.

In practise, I often find myself turning that off and configuring the
boot loader manually instead. The reason is the lack of flexibility in
the automatic scripts, like e.g. missing serial support in extlinux. Or
the ability to keep a few special kernels in /boot without adding all of
them to the boot menu.

Might be just me. Just wanted to register an interest in keeping the
link_in_boot feature. But I can of course implement it using the hook
feature instead of kernel-img.conf. I do understand the wish to get
rid of that file.

>> The links in / are generally not very useful IMHO if /boot and / are
>> different partitions.
>
> That depends on whether the symlink is resolved at installation time or
> at boot time.

Well, links in /boot can be used at both times, links in / cannot.

Bjørn