-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   Proposed kernel fixes on sparc for 6.0.1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/488544-proposed-kernel-fixes-sparc-6-0-1-a.html)

Jurij Smakov 02-12-2011 08:48 PM

Proposed kernel fixes on sparc for 6.0.1

Hello,

Late in the release cycle we found out that a kernel bug prevents
sparc machines with ATI graphics adapters using atyfb driver from
booting due to problems with console handover, causing it to hang
early during the boot (http://bugs.debian.org/602853). I thought
that this can be worked around by disabling framebuffer during boot,
however there was at least one report that this was not effective.

I would like to solicit kernel team's opinions on feasibility of
including the patch posted to the bug (committed upstream) in 6.0.1.
I've already built a patched kernel and made if available for testing
as a part of unofficial Squeeze installation image, and haven't heard
about any problems so far. Eventually we would need release team's
blessing as well, I guess.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/ KeyID: C99E03CC

Ben Hutchings 02-13-2011 03:12 PM

On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 21:48 +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Late in the release cycle we found out that a kernel bug prevents
> sparc machines with ATI graphics adapters using atyfb driver from
> booting due to problems with console handover, causing it to hang
> early during the boot (http://bugs.debian.org/602853). I thought
> that this can be worked around by disabling framebuffer during boot,
> however there was at least one report that this was not effective.
>
> I would like to solicit kernel team's opinions on feasibility of
> including the patch posted to the bug (committed upstream) in 6.0.1.
> I've already built a patched kernel and made if available for testing
> as a part of unofficial Squeeze installation image, and haven't heard
> about any problems so far. Eventually we would need release team's
> blessing as well, I guess.

You seem to be our SPARC expert now, and these fixes appear to touch
only SPARC-specific code, so I think you should go ahead.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings