Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Abdelouahed Haitoute

Default customize anaconda installation procedure

Hello,

I would like to customize the RedHat 5.4 installation DVD in a way that during the installation wizard the user only selects the server type from a list and types a number. This information will then be used to get the necessary information from a file for the rest of the installation.
How can I customize anaconda in a way that it will only ask for the server type and a number?

Kind regards,

Abdelouahed

Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Martin Sivak

Hi,

The easiest way to accomplish this is to use PXE booting. You only need to prepare the boot menu and kickstart files for each variant you want to have available. Of course this assumes you can boot all instalations from network.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html

This can be accomplished without PXE boot too, but the user would have to put ks=http://somewhere/model-number.ks (this is an example) on the boot prompt manually.

It also accepts ks=file:// syntax so you can include those files on the modified media and then point the installer to them manually or by creating a nice menu in isolinux configuration (or another bootloader responsible for booting that media).

I wouldn't recommend modifying the installer itself.

--
Martin Sivák
msivak@redhat.com