-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   Uploading linux-2.6 2.6.37-1 to unstable (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/486709-uploading-linux-2-6-2-6-37-1-unstable.html)

Timo Juhani Lindfors 02-08-2011 05:54 PM

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> The backend drivers have not yet been merged, so it's not yet very
> useful as dom0.

ok. Is there still hope that they will get merged before wheezy is
released or would now be a good time to start looking at KVM migration
plans?

Ben Hutchings 02-08-2011 06:14 PM

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 08:54:24PM +0200, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> > The backend drivers have not yet been merged, so it's not yet very
> > useful as dom0.
>
> ok. Is there still hope that they will get merged before wheezy is
> released or would now be a good time to start looking at KVM migration
> plans?

I think they will, e.g. netback is going through review now and I would
expect it to be merged in time for 2.6.39.

Apparently Linux 2.6.38 will have enough functionality in dom0 that
blkback and netback can be implemented in userland in qemu.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Ian Campbell 02-08-2011 06:31 PM

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 19:14 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 08:54:24PM +0200, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> > Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> > > The backend drivers have not yet been merged, so it's not yet very
> > > useful as dom0.
> >
> > ok. Is there still hope that they will get merged before wheezy is
> > released or would now be a good time to start looking at KVM migration
> > plans?
>
> I think they will, e.g. netback is going through review now and I would
> expect it to be merged in time for 2.6.39.

Yes, I'm actively working on it and hope to get it in for 2.6.39.

> Apparently Linux 2.6.38 will have enough functionality in dom0 that
> blkback and netback can be implemented in userland in qemu.

I think that's the case, yes.

The qemu-xen in Squeeze doesn't have the backends, in case someone was
planning to try a new kernel on Squeeze.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

A mouse is an elephant built by the Japanese.

Yves-Alexis Perez 02-09-2011 04:37 PM

On mar., 2011-02-08 at 15:16 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Note that the OpenVZ, VServer and Xen flavours have been dropped and
> will not come back. OpenVZ and VServer users should migrate to LXC
> (Linux containers, using the cgroups and namespace features). Xen
> support in mainline Linux is improving and it should be usable as the
> dom0 kernel soon.

What about the Grsecurity featureset?
--
Yves-Alexis

Ben Hutchings 02-09-2011 04:47 PM

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 06:37:22PM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mar., 2011-02-08 at 15:16 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Note that the OpenVZ, VServer and Xen flavours have been dropped and
> > will not come back. OpenVZ and VServer users should migrate to LXC
> > (Linux containers, using the cgroups and namespace features). Xen
> > support in mainline Linux is improving and it should be usable as the
> > dom0 kernel soon.
>
> What about the Grsecurity featureset?

Well, I had thought that was ready to add, but Bastian raised some issues
that you'll have to answer first. Sorry for raising your hopes on that.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Yves-Alexis Perez 02-09-2011 05:01 PM

On mer., 2011-02-09 at 17:47 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 06:37:22PM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > On mar., 2011-02-08 at 15:16 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > Note that the OpenVZ, VServer and Xen flavours have been dropped and
> > > will not come back. OpenVZ and VServer users should migrate to LXC
> > > (Linux containers, using the cgroups and namespace features). Xen
> > > support in mainline Linux is improving and it should be usable as the
> > > dom0 kernel soon.
> >
> > What about the Grsecurity featureset?
>
> Well, I had thought that was ready to add, but Bastian raised some issues
> that you'll have to answer first. Sorry for raising your hopes on that.

No problem, though I've replied to the comments and am waiting for some
replies.

Yves-Alexis

Daniel Baumann 02-10-2011 07:10 AM

On 02/08/2011 04:16 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> AUFS will be included for use in Debian Live if there is a version
> compatible with 2.6.37.

is available, see upstreams repository at
http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/gitweb?p=aufs/aufs2-2.6.git

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net