FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm error recompiling 2.6.24-1-686

Hi,

In recompiling 2.6.24 with
http://ftp.cica.es/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-2.6_2.6.24-2.diff.gz
I get this error:


CC [M] drivers/atm/fore200e.o
HOSTCC drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm
drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm -k -b _fore200e_pca_fw
-i "" -o drivers/atm/fore200e_pca_fw.c
drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm: can't open for reading
make[4]: *** [drivers/atm/fore200e_pca_fw.c] Error 254
make[3]: *** [drivers/atm] Error 2
make[2]: *** [drivers] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/hda10/backup.files/fromhd/home/hugo/linux-2.6.24-1-ck1/linux-2.6.24/debian/build/build_i386_none_686'make[1]:
*** [debian/stamps/build_i386_none_6
86_plain] Error 2make[1]: Leaving directory
`/hda10/backup.files/fromhd/home/hugo/linux-2.6.24-1-ck1/linux-2.6.24'

make: *** [binary-arch_i386_none_686_real] Error 2

Of course the error goes away when I deselect that particular atm driver
which I don't need.


I didn't file a bug since I wasn't sure that applies.

Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Bastian Blank
 
Default drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm error recompiling 2.6.24-1-686

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 07:28:08AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> HOSTCC drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm
> drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm -k -b _fore200e_pca_fw
> -i "" -o drivers/atm/fore200e_pca_fw.c
> drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm: can't open for reading

This file is removed from the Debian source, including the relevant
Makefile entries.

Bastian

--
One does not thank logic.
-- Sarek, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm error recompiling 2.6.24-1-686

Bastian Blank wrote:

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 07:28:08AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

HOSTCC drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm
drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm -k -b _fore200e_pca_fw
-i "" -o drivers/atm/fore200e_pca_fw.c
drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm: can't open for reading


This file is removed from the Debian source, including the relevant
Makefile entries.



Thanks Bastian, that explains it. Great job.

Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 PM
maximilian attems
 
Default drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm error recompiling 2.6.24-1-686

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Bastian Blank wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 07:28:08AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> HOSTCC drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm
>>> drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm -k -b _fore200e_pca_fw
>>> -i "" -o drivers/atm/fore200e_pca_fw.c
>>> drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm: can't open for reading
>>
>> This file is removed from the Debian source, including the relevant
>> Makefile entries.
>>
>
> Thanks Bastian, that explains it. Great job.
>
> Hugo

i agree to your cynicism.

if you wanna help either make copyright holder relicense blob to BSD
or the driver to use request_firmware(), see for the long story
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing

DFSG doesn't allow such blobs in Debian main.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm error recompiling 2.6.24-1-686

maximilian attems wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:


Bastian Blank wrote:

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 07:28:08AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

HOSTCC drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm
drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm -k -b _fore200e_pca_fw
-i "" -o drivers/atm/fore200e_pca_fw.c
drivers/atm/fore200e_mkfirm: can't open for reading

This file is removed from the Debian source, including the relevant
Makefile entries.


Thanks Bastian, that explains it. Great job.

Hugo


i agree to your cynicism.

if you wanna help either make copyright holder relicense blob to BSD
or the driver to use request_firmware(), see for the long story
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing

DFSG doesn't allow such blobs in Debian main.




I wasn't being cynical. I was referring to the superb service that is
being performed in providing me with the tools and a kernel patch, as
well as the kernel itself, enabling me to add the ck patch to a Debian
revised kernel. Thanks again.


The firmware issue is what it is and as I said, I don't use the atm
module, luckily.


Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:57 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org